Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 9

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    One thing you can do is order grass fed beef tallow and then get lean CAFO beef. That way you get the CLA and O3 of grass fed without all the expense. It's versatile fat, too. Good for general cooking.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Bron is offline Senior Member
    This has been an interesting thread, seeing the pricing etc of those who live in different countries to me. I couldn't really say how much we spend on food, cos we shop at a few places and buy in bulk, so one trip to the butcher can cost a bit more than another (like the time I went to buy half a lamb and ended up with half a cow). But it costs what it costs, we can afford it. After spending a huge amount on healing allergies and intolerances and then backing that up with many dentist visits and tonsillectomies (to try and get them as healthy as possible), spending money on good food is only supporting all t hat money previously spent.

I did get lucky and got 6 tubs of ghee for $1 each, rather than the just under $5, cos they were near date. Just chucked them in the freezer, and that's about 6 months worth. Our chooks go through a bag ($14) of food about once every 6 weeks, so eggs are fairly cheap. The garden produces quite a bit of fruit and I'm hopefuly the veges will start to grow seeing as it seems the rain may have actually stopped (it's rained for 2.5 yrs here now. We did have about a month of occasional showers, but lost of sunshine. Then first week of the school holidays, it rained Sat - Fri).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We spend between $250-350 per week for our family of three. DS eats like an adult, even though he's only four. We get the best we can afford, but that's not organic. We buy as local as we can as we go. We do use some frozen foods (broccoli, berries, and mixed green/wax beans).

I'm not unhappy with the amount that we spend, but this is basically the rock-bottom that we've been able to spend. And, we do need to eat.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I spend about 150 a week just for myself, fasting has helped alot though, I have an 8 hour eating window and usually I have two high fat meals and I'm stuffed. Also I found that when shopping at whole foods, If I just walked around I would buy so many things, but what has really helped me is to buy one or two of each category, 1 x meat, fish, 2 x eggs, 1x breakfast meat, 1x nut, 2x veggie, 1 x fruit....and usually stick to that and if i run out of bacon before I run out of eggs, then I don't buy anymore bacon until my next paycheck....grok didn't always have a choice!

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    There's not much (nutritional) point to buying 95/5 GF beef, unless I'm missing something.
    I respectfully disagree. Besides, there is more meat in 1lb of 95/5 than in 1lb of 80/20. I add fat back in from other sources during cooking. It's more food per dollar in my book, and on the meals where I want to consume a huge sweet potato and some fruit, I'd rather have a leaner cut of meat. It all settles easier for me.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Besides, there is more meat in 1lb of 95/5 than in 1lb of 80/20. I add fat back in from other sources during cooking. It's more food per dollar in my book, and on the meals where I want to consume a huge sweet potato and some fruit, I'd rather have a leaner cut of meat. It all settles easier for me.
    There is not more "meat"....there is more protein. If your micromanaging to be on a low fat diet, or you feel your CAFO antibiotic ridden meat's fat isn't all that safe then those may be sound reasons. If your buying grass fed meat BECAUSE you think it is leaner then YES you are missing the point.

Seems you have your own set of digestive disorder that huge sweet potato and fruit with lean meat tends to alleviate for the time being, so that is N=1 and a perfectly legitimate reason to eat that way in my book....not that you need anyones approval to eat in any manner you see fit.

I don't feel bad paying 5$/pound cause I prefer the expensive cuts like ribey, t-bone, and such....and I get this along with some ground beef all at that same price when I get a quarter cow. I borderline despise chicken and only eat fish in sushi form. Lamb and cow are my go to meats. The fattier the cuts the better from well sourced meat (that is were the nutritional difference is most pronounces so you should take advantage).... The extra moneys is basically for reduced toxic load (primarily in the fat tissue), better FA profile, Better fat soluble vitamin concentration, supporting better more sustainable farming practices, supporting local small farmers, and last on my list....better animal treatment.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-30-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how much money I spend. 5000 calories grassfed meat/dairy a day? Must be a lot. It's probably half my moms salary
    well then

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    There is not more "meat"....there is more protein. If your micromanaging to be on a low fat diet, or you feel your CAFO antibiotic ridden meat's fat isn't all that safe then those may be sound reasons. If your buying grass fed meat BECAUSE you think it is leaner then YES you are missing the point.

Seems you have your own set of digestive disorder that huge sweet potato and fruit with lean meat tends to alleviate for the time being, so that is N=1 and a perfectly legitimate reason to eat that way in my book....not that you need anyones approval to eat in any manner you see fit.

I don't feel bad paying 5$/pound cause I prefer the expensive cuts like ribey, t-bone, and such....and I get this along with some ground beef all at that same price when I get a quarter cow. I borderline despise chicken and only eat fish in sushi form. Lamb and cow are my go to meats. The fattier the cuts the better from well sourced meat (that is were the nutritional difference is most pronounces so you should take advantage).... The extra moneys is basically for reduced toxic load (primarily in the fat tissue), better FA profile, Better fat soluble vitamin concentration, supporting better more sustainable farming practices, supporting local small farmers, and last on my list....better animal treatment.
    The point is that when I choose to have an *evil* starchy meal, I personally don't prefer to have it with fat because it sits on my stomach for longer than I prefer.

You're preaching to the choir. I don't count micronutrients, calories or anything else that 90% of MDA folks seem to obsess over needlessly. I've got about 50lbs of 80/20 and about 4lbs of 95/5 in my freezer. Frankly, the 95/5 cooks better with certain dishes. When I do Quinoa pasta, tomato sauce and vegetables, I prefer the taste and overall texture of 95/5 in the sauce. It is more "meat" unless you're drinking the the liquid fat that cooks off when you brown 80/20. Different strokes for different folks but the notion that you're somehow depriving yourself for eating 95/5 on occasion is completely asinine (absolutely no offense intended).

Plus, I prefer the taste of grassfed butter in my scrambled eggs, so when I toss beef and a bunch of other stuff into the same skillet, 95/5 is easier to manage.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 06-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    The point is that when I choose to have an *evil* starchy meal, I personally don't prefer to have it with fat because it sits on my stomach for longer than I prefer.

You're preaching to the choir. I don't count micronutrients, calories or anything else that 90% of MDA folks seem to obsess over needlessly. I've got about 50lbs of 80/20 and about 4lbs of 95/5 in my freezer. Frankly, the 95/5 cooks better with certain dishes. When I do Quinoa pasta, tomato sauce and vegetables, I prefer the taste and overall texture of 95/5 in the sauce. It is more "meat" unless you're drinking the the liquid fat that cooks off when you brown 80/20. Different strokes for different folks but the notion that you're somehow depriving yourself for eating 95/5 on occasion is completely asinine (absolutely no offense intended).

Plus, I prefer the taste of grassfed butter in my scrambled eggs, so when I toss beef and a bunch of other stuff into the same skillet, 95/5 is easier to manage.
    Actually I do . I pour it over my veges or on a sweet potato if we are browning a burger (Or just leave it to cook eggs in in the morning)....When its a roast I line the bottom with veges to soak up all the goodness. Hey that shits expensive...I'm not just gonna throw it out!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh my god I just came back from the ethnic grocery.

- Pork liver: $1.98/lb
    - Pork belly: 3.59/lb
    - Oxtails: 4.59/lb

I got strawberries, bananas, an onion, some corn and apples for my bird and some hot sauce. I fully expected this to cost me $35 or $40 since that's what it would cost at Whole Foods or the equivalent (of course, they'd have no pork belly, pork liver or oxtails...). $21. I can't believe it.

Of course, none of this was organic or grass-fed, but hey, if you are on a budget, this is definitely the way to go.

They had beef and pork kidneys, pork and chicken feet, all kinds of strange and super cheap organ meats. Their soup bones had more meat on them than some ribeyes I've bought. If you can get over squeamishness for organs and odd bits I think you could eat well on the cheap shopping at little markets like this.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 06-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast