Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 8

MarCar is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I'm all for supporting the local guy, but you can get pure grassfed beef off the internet for $5/lb, free shipping! However, that's 80/20. I do buy some 95/5 from a local farmer for $6/lb.
    Would you mind sharing a link to that site? Most that I have found locally (SC) adverage about $7/lb

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I'm glad you posted what you spend, since I'm in the same province (at least according to your username). We're just two adults and I think we spend about $600, but that is just a guess. When I am finished with school I'll be looking for more ways to save since I'll have more time.

That is the other thing. I think the more time one has the more money one can save. Canning, shopping for the best quality and prices, prepping kefir, mayo, yogurt, condiments, gardening, making broth, etc, etc.
    Yes, I'm in BC.

And I should elaborate and say $700 covers ALL our grocery, household and personal care. Those non-food costs are minimal, as I spent 2 years as a crazy couponer, and the best coupon savings are on cleaning and personal care, and I use a cash budget, so I know where all the money goes. Even with increases in the price of food, our budget is still maintainable. I'm not even that frugal! We eat mostly at home, very little restaurant or convenience food, so we choose to eat well. Its still a fraction of the cost of dining out. I can make a kick-ass Keg-style (steakhouse) steak dinner for 4 at home, for less than dinner for 4 at McDonalds.

I've been pondering this, wondering why our budget hasn't changed much with eating more primally (me mostly, the rest about 50/50 when I'm doing the cooking) and mostly clean. I think its a variety of reasons.

1. I eat less.
    2. I buy very vew single-serve foods for the rest of the family, and only when they're on sale.
    3. We are eating the same amount of clean food, but LESS junk/processed food. I still buy treats here and there, but only on sale, and only enough for one splurge....not a basement stockpile like those Extreme Couponers. I tried it. Its impossible to stockpile chips & cookies.
    4. I stopped drinking Diet Coke.
    5. Hubby is a hunter. It varies by year, but last year we ended up with about 180lb of elk cut & wrapped. Its cleaner than the best grassfed beef, and less than half the price.
    6. Our grassfed beef is raised by people we know, and there's very little markup. We pay less than the retail price of 1/2 a cow.
    7. Except for bananas and salad fixings, I buy whatever produce is on sale that day. We eat based on price or what's in the freezer or garden.
    8. I buy rice in 20lb sacks. Works out to about 40 cents/lb.
    9. Meat is expensive by comparison, so I save money on all other food and fill my pantry & freezer when our staples are on sale. I never pay full price for non-perishable products, cleaning supplies, toilet paper or tampons.
    10. Even the stuff that never goes on sale, like my favorite coffee, I can get for 10% less if I shop on my grocery store's Customer Appreciation Day (Canada Safeway, 1st Tues of each month).
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I'm cheap as shit and I refuse to pay anything over $2 a pound for meat. This basically limits my meat to boneless skinless chicken breast and on a rare occasion reduced ground beef. I don't mind it though, chicken is super versatile. I could never spend 5 or 6 bucks a pound on meat. Grass fed might have slightly better 03 ratio but if you pop a couple fish oil pills with the regular stuff you will save dollars on the pound and the ratio will be better. Grass fed beef is HYPE. If you have the money to waste on it, thats on you, but if you don't have unlimited funds there is no nutritional reason to buy grass fed beef for twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I hate the argument of "good food is expensive, but cancer is even more expensive".
    That is such a stupid argument. That is some whole foods (the overpriced super market) propaganda or something. What cheap food gives you cancer? Seriously, I am interested in knowing what these stupid people are talking about.

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    The best deal I have found is flats of eggs for 5.00 apiece (20 eggs to a flat.) They didn't make it past inspection for the stores. They are slightly irregular, too big (horrible, I know) or are double or triple-yoked.

When I get around to it there is a company that sells meat to the local health food stores that sets up a stand or something once a month, I plan to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    The best deal I have found is flats of eggs for 5.00 apiece (20 eggs to a flat.) They didn't make it past inspection for the stores. They are slightly irregular, too big (horrible, I know) or are double or triple-yoked.

When I get around to it there is a company that sells meat to the local health food stores that sets up a stand or something once a month, I plan to check them out.
    Where do you live? I pay less than 2 dollars for 18 eggs.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it's not cheap to eat Primal. It's not cheap to eat, period. Out of curiosity I was looking at the processed food junk at my local grocery store. All these frozen boxed diners, pastries etc. I was shocked to see a loaf of bread at $4. BTW, I haven't touched any of that crap in over a year and a half.

That's a great deal! I live in west Texas. These are extra large, free-range organic eggs. The same eggs are way higher in the grocery store. I want to say $3.85 for a dozen. These people also offer bags of organic pecan halves, $21.00 for three pounds.

Where do you live to get that fantastic deal?

Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    I agree that it's not cheap to eat Primal. It's not cheap to eat, period. Out of curiosity I was looking at the processed food junk at my local grocery store. All these frozen boxed diners, pastries etc. I was shocked to see a loaf of bread at $4. BTW, I haven't touched any of that crap in over a year and a half.
    You're right, it's not cheap to eat, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    That's a great deal! I live in west Texas. These are extra large, free-range organic eggs. The same eggs are way higher in the grocery store. I want to say $3.85 for a dozen. These people also offer bags of organic pecan halves, $21.00 for three pounds.

Where do you live to get that fantastic deal?
    I buy the cheapest eggs in the store. I live in Charlotte.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast