Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 7

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    Yeah, I am correct. Deal with it.

As of right now 1 Euro = 1.25 US dollars (edit: 1.2493 to be exact). So that would be about $1499 today.
    kbn1 is correct. Here's a link if it will work:

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...0+euros+in+usd

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestPaleo View Post
    I'm sure you all could find holes, but the point is sometimes people are already doing all they can. It's more important to me to raise my own kids than to have a job outside of the home (I work part-time from home) and pay someone else to do a piss poor job so I can buy organic, grassfed everything. We all pick our priorities and move our lives around them.
    You and I are on the same page. I work 15-20hrs/week at home so we don't need to use daycare. Although I also sat down and looked at daycare for 2 kids + work expenses and decided I'd rather raise my own kids than pay tons of taxes and end up with the same net income if working full time. DH has been working on a higher paying job for 2 years now with no luck. I'm comforted in knowing things can get easier in 3-4 years when our youngest is in K/1 and I have more time to devote to working. Until then our a/c is at 80 day/78 night and heat 64 day/62 night and buying lunch meat is my night off of cooking.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I'm spending about 200-300 per week for 2 adults, 2 toddlers in NJ. That's enough grassfed meat, farmer's eggs if I can get them for 3$, local and/or organic veggies and fruit and other stuff from the supermarket. I could honestly go down to 100 if I'd buy regular meat, so it does make me swallow a bit especially as DH is not on the same page and this is on my shoulders only...I don't want to ruin the family, and I don't have a job, either. So I've decided to put a couple of vegetarian or grain fed meat dinners up a week to get the cost down. I don't think that'll give us cancer in the long run (but if the O3-O6 ratios start to affect mood around here, back to all grassfed it is).

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestPaleo View Post
    We are a family of 4, with 2 adults, a 2 year old, and a 6 month old. For every thing (food, toiletries, DH's pop, DH's bottled water, DH's CW food) we are only able to spend $40-$80 a week. We're dairy intolerant, so coconut oil is the go-to oil right now. I'm experimenting with soaper's choice food grade coconut oil right now, as it's less than half the price for TT and Vitacost. I buy grassfed burger, grassfed liver, and soup bones/oxtail from a farmer. I buy manager specials of CAFO at the store (needs to be frozen or used right away), buy only what's on sale with the exception of coconut milk yogurt (the kids share a yogurt for breakfast on a day when I don't have time to make eggs due to appointments or something), avocado, a couple bananas the kids share (sometimes DH), and sweet potatoes/rice. I buy a lot of manager's specials on produce too. I just bought 5 laying hens earlier this spring (already laying), and keep them at a friends house whom already had a flock and pay $10 a month in supplies, supplemental feed, etc and clean the hen house weekly. I get 3 dozen eggs a week from my chickens, 1 dozen of which I always give away for free, not because we couldn't eat them but to share what 'wealth' we do have. I have a garden for the second year, but have yet to harvest any summer crops, as the spinach bolted almost two months ago with a freak 90 degree couple of days. It's raspberry season here in NW Ohio, so I've been harvesting a pound or two of berries from my MIL's raspberry patch every other day that we share among a couple families. I buy coconut milk from Asian markets (A-roy D for $1.89 each). Grapes were on sale this week (10#/$10), so my 2 year old and I spent 1/2 an hour washing, drying and spreading the grapes on dehydrator trays to make our own raisins today. Unfortunately, the last few years the closest Farmer's Markets were an hour away, and the prices were the same or higher than the store....for conventional product. Gas + time + same expense or higher = nope. There is a Farmer's Market that started, literally, down the street on Saturday mornings. I plan to haul the kiddos by myself to the market to see if it can compete with the mark-down produce I buy now.

Right now, it's about survival. The only thing I won't budge on is the ground beef (grassfed). There have been one too many recalls on ground beef that's CAFO, so I won't risk it. We too cannot sell our house, we already don't have cable or a home phone, we drive old cars that we aren't paying on, I only drive a couple days a week and try to make it as economical of trips as possible regarding gas, etc. I will check out Big Lots for canned fish though. I had forgotten about Big Lots.

If you can, it is cheaper to buy shredded coconut and make your own coconut milk. I did the math, and it is equal to 50 cents a can. Also, you can make your own coconut milk yogurt for a fraction of the price.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    In the ages of smartphones, unless you got kids, I'd cancel tĥe house phone.
    Cables are overrated as well, you can download anything.
    I live in a SAD house abd honestly, if it were up to me I'd sell half of the place
    People like keeping old junk. Hoarders
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I spend about $100/week. Single dude, rarely eat out except for dates. I'm a decent cook and so is my girlfriend, so it works out well for me.

I get a decent amount of stuff from a local farmers market. It's NOT cheap, but I try to support the local farms at least a little bit. My uncle has a HUGE garden and has horrendous overflow. I spent an off day last week cleaning, freezing/canning/pickling over 50lbs of vegetables to be split between myself and my parents. I'll probably go back in a couple of days for more or it's literally going to go to waste.

I buy most of meat online, in bulk, but I think I've found a line on a 1/2 cow which would be split again between my household and my parent's.

I buy very little packaged/processed food. I do have a few boxes of gluten free pasta/tomato sauce and I occasionally make gluten free brownies. Being celiac, I'm not really afforded traditional "cheats" and those foods in moderation do absolutely nothing negative to me. By moderation, I mean Quinoa pasta maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Other than that stuff, my fridge/freezer is nothing but beef, chicken, pork, fish, eggs, sweet potatoes and vegetables everywhere. There's usually some raw almonds and brazil nuts floating around too. Chicken is the most expensive meat for me, and I rarely buy it. Fish I buy frozen from Sams/Costco. I've also settled into 2 meals a day usually. I think I unintentionally eat a little less because of that.

If two people are spending 1K/month on groceries, you aren't budgeting at all. If you are budgeting, you aren't tightening the reigns enough. There are plenty of things that I say no to in the store on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 06-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Bekki is offline Junior Member
    We are a family of four (two adults, a three-year-old and an almost two-year-old). We manage on about $1000/month or so.

I buy all of our meat in bulk directly from the farm. The beef is grass fed, but finished with grain. There are no hormones or antibiotics. I end up paying about $6/lb for all cuts this way. Pork is much more expensive because we pay more for the nitrate/nitrite free smoking. So, we just eat less of it. Pasture-raised chicken is crazy expensive, so we don't have it often at all. Local free range eggs are $3/doz.

I try to follow the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 lists when shopping to save money. During the summer and fall, we have a CSA membership, which is definitely not enough veggie to feed the whole family, but it helps.

We are buying a house with 3 acres and plan on growing and raising a bunch of food. Chickens (for meat and eggs), and a gigantic garden - hopefully to grow enough to eat and freeze. The property is also COVERED in wild blackberries, which is an awesome bonus.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Bekki, now I'm jealous.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for supporting the local guy, but you can get pure grassfed beef off the internet for $5/lb, free shipping! However, that's 80/20. I do buy some 95/5 from a local farmer for $6/lb.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I'm all for supporting the local guy, but you can get pure grassfed beef off the internet for $5/lb, free shipping! However, that's 80/20. I do buy some 95/5 from a local farmer for $6/lb.
    There's not much (nutritional) point to buying 95/5 GF beef, unless I'm missing something.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast