Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Well, the other response is to go make more money, which I would wager isn't going to provoke a happier response.

We're observing the way things work and communicating it, not setting the rules ourselves. I'd love to spend less money on food, or work less, or any number of things. But wanting it(by itself) isn't going to make it happen.
    Yupper...Tell you what I do though. I buy my beef in bulk (1/4 cow at a time for about 5$/pound includes all the best cuts) along with several pounds of organ meat. This 600-700$ will last my family of four about 3 months in meat. Local free range eggs for $2/dozen....buy about 4 dozen a week. $32 a month on raw milk. Grow my own vegetable garden, learn to forage, plant some fruit trees, go to local farms and farmer markets. I get as little as I can from the grocery, but I do go to TJ's for most those specialty items.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-27-2012 at 11:56 AM.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    I spend about $800 a month on food. For myself. And I'm sure I eat 2x's as much as you. Either you're not shopping wisely or all your foodstuffs are wrapped in gold. If that's the case, can I borrow some gold?
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yupper...Tell you what I do though. I buy my beef in bulk (1/4 cow at a time for about 5$/pound includes all the best cuts) along with several pounds of organ meat. This 600-700$ will last my family of four about 3 months in meat. Local free range eggs for $2/dozen....buy about 4 dozen a week. $32 a month on raw milk. Grow my own vegetable garden, learn to forage, plant some fruit trees, go to local farms and farmer markets. I get as little as I can from the grocery, but I do go to TJ's for most those specialty items.
    In this case, I mean I wish my food was free, etc- there's always something to want.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    In this case, I mean I wish my food was free, etc- there's always something to want.
    Yeah, I was just going to agree with you....then I decided to try to offer some advice.....

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Check out coupons, do shop around, buy in bulk if you can. Boyfriend and I spend about $400/mo at most for all of our groceries (he eats ramen/pasta with sauce/sandwiches for lunch so spends very little for that). This month, we're coming in at $215! That includes paper towels, toilet paper, and the occasional cleaning supply. I'm in maintenance mode so I eat a fair number of carbs, and sweet potatoes and fruit are very cheap/easy to fill up on. We only ordered out once and we were treated to dinner twice.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

bakers3 is offline Member
    Do you have a farmers market where you live? Outrageous produce deals and at ours last week I found grass fed and finished ground beef for under 5.00 a pound, pastured eggs for 2.00/dozen and whole pastured chickens for 3.50 per pound. I have enough veggies and meat for a week and spent about 60.00. Can't afford grass fed steaks right now but I am ok with burger dishes if that's what I have to do to get grass fed.

I stock up on sale stuff too. Happened to find organic pastured butter on sale at my regular grocery store for 2.99/pound and cleared them out. Butter freezes well. Costco has wonderful all natural uncured bacon (makes the most beautiful clean grease!) in the breakfast meat section and a good natural breakfast sausage too. Not grass fed/pastured but good quality and I can't afford grass fed everything.

For coconut oil, supplements, and misc shelf stable health foods, etc. you can't beat vitacost online. They are always running free shipping deals and even if they aren't,they always have a 4.99 flat rate shipping deal.

Just a few ideas that help me...

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I should also mention that I only spend good money for bacon, yogurts, and fats. I still buy conventional meats, but I will splurge for eggs on occasion (under $5/doz at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MidwestPaleo is offline Junior Member
    We are a family of 4, with 2 adults, a 2 year old, and a 6 month old. For every thing (food, toiletries, DH's pop, DH's bottled water, DH's CW food) we are only able to spend $40-$80 a week. We're dairy intolerant, so coconut oil is the go-to oil right now. I'm experimenting with soaper's choice food grade coconut oil right now, as it's less than half the price for TT and Vitacost. I buy grassfed burger, grassfed liver, and soup bones/oxtail from a farmer. I buy manager specials of CAFO at the store (needs to be frozen or used right away), buy only what's on sale with the exception of coconut milk yogurt (the kids share a yogurt for breakfast on a day when I don't have time to make eggs due to appointments or something), avocado, a couple bananas the kids share (sometimes DH), and sweet potatoes/rice. I buy a lot of manager's specials on produce too. I just bought 5 laying hens earlier this spring (already laying), and keep them at a friends house whom already had a flock and pay $10 a month in supplies, supplemental feed, etc and clean the hen house weekly. I get 3 dozen eggs a week from my chickens, 1 dozen of which I always give away for free, not because we couldn't eat them but to share what 'wealth' we do have. I have a garden for the second year, but have yet to harvest any summer crops, as the spinach bolted almost two months ago with a freak 90 degree couple of days. It's raspberry season here in NW Ohio, so I've been harvesting a pound or two of berries from my MIL's raspberry patch every other day that we share among a couple families. I buy coconut milk from Asian markets (A-roy D for $1.89 each). Grapes were on sale this week (10#/$10), so my 2 year old and I spent 1/2 an hour washing, drying and spreading the grapes on dehydrator trays to make our own raisins today. Unfortunately, the last few years the closest Farmer's Markets were an hour away, and the prices were the same or higher than the store....for conventional product. Gas + time + same expense or higher = nope. There is a Farmer's Market that started, literally, down the street on Saturday mornings. I plan to haul the kiddos by myself to the market to see if it can compete with the mark-down produce I buy now.

Right now, it's about survival. The only thing I won't budge on is the ground beef (grassfed). There have been one too many recalls on ground beef that's CAFO, so I won't risk it. We too cannot sell our house, we already don't have cable or a home phone, we drive old cars that we aren't paying on, I only drive a couple days a week and try to make it as economical of trips as possible regarding gas, etc. I will check out Big Lots for canned fish though. I had forgotten about Big Lots.

MidwestPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Oh, I forgot to add that most of the cleaning do is with baking soda, vinegar, peroxide, etc. I try to run things like the washer late at night when electricity is cheaper. I make my own laundry detergent/fabric softener. I line dry clothing when I can. I only turn on the a/c when the house is warmer than 78 degrees, and even then it's set for 75 and the kids just run around in underwear/diapers. I cloth diaper (except at night....I'm not crazy). The only 'extra' thing I can think of that we have that isn't necessary is our $8 netflix (streaming only) subscription. I'm sure you all could find holes, but the point is sometimes people are already doing all they can. It's more important to me to raise my own kids than to have a job outside of the home (I work part-time from home) and pay someone else to do a piss poor job so I can buy organic, grassfed everything. We all pick our priorities and move our lives around them.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    Math is a great tool but you have to use it correctly. That calculation requires multiplication, not division.
    1200 Euros x .801603 = $961.92
    Yeah, I am correct. Deal with it.

As of right now 1 Euro = 1.25 US dollars (edit: 1.2493 to be exact). So that would be about $1499 today.
    Last edited by kbn1; 06-27-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast