Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 5

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Though I agree with the other posters that there are ways to cut down on costs, ultimately, I spend a high percentage of my pay on food, because, ultimately, what's more important than my health? As Joel Salatin says: "If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?"
    Amen. Like I mentioned above, we spend quite a bit. We can't afford or find everything organic but we do the best we can and don't really worry about the cost. I'd rather pay for food than medications or medical procedures 20 years down the road.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    So 1200 Euros / 0.801603 = $1497. Math... Go figure.
    Math is a great tool but you have to use it correctly. That calculation requires multiplication, not division.
    1200 Euros x .801603 = $961.92

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I hate the argument of "good food is expensive, but cancer is even more expensive". If I don't have the money to spend, I just don't. We rarely eat out, never go to Starbucks, rarely buy new clothes, conserve gas, make just enough to get by. But I'd like my family to be as healthy as possible. It's really hard when the $425/m we have budgeted (4 adults, 2 preschool children) doesn't work, but there's nowhere to cut (esp since we can't sell our house). So the response of telling people to find room in their budget is unhelpful and can be downright insulting. And I'm not sure on the whole eating less thing either, I've been doing this for 5 months and don't find myself eating substantially less at all.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Completely understand on the money front; maybe those who think it's easy can hit your paypal account with some dosh. On the eating less thing, I didn't say everyone would, I just said my husband and I do.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

isbolick is offline Member
    Hmmmm...Trader Joe's. I need to go there.

I am with everybody else, I thought it was going to be more expensive, but even after switching to an all grass fed butcher shop, we are averaging about the same. We are eating so much LESS food this way and ZERO fast food. We might be spending $150 a week TOTAL, that means pet food, toilet paper...everything.

isbolick is offline Member
    Just read the whole thread. I am interested in the people who don't find themselves eating less. I am with Georgiapeach, the meat fills me up so much I eat a lot less. I have also started intermittent fasting and have been skipping breakfast. I eat a decent lunch (today was a grilled boneless pork chop and a baked sweet potato), a light meal (4 oz grass fed hamburger or free range chicken) around 4 and dinner (tonight is going to be brats and sauteed onions and peppers) and that's about it. I throw in the occasional apple, fistful of blueberries, nuts, etc., but I MIGHT snack once a day. I just don't feel the need. I am full all the time, I feel great and that is A LOT less than I used to eat. I used to feel like I needed to be eating all the time. My whole family is eating this way (other than the intermittent fasting) and, like I said, even eating butcher shop grass fed and all natural, we are not spending any more money than we did when we ate 3 meals and grazed all day.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I hate the argument of "good food is expensive, but cancer is even more expensive". If I don't have the money to spend, I just don't. We rarely eat out, never go to Starbucks, rarely buy new clothes, conserve gas, make just enough to get by. But I'd like my family to be as healthy as possible. It's really hard when the $425/m we have budgeted (4 adults, 2 preschool children) doesn't work, but there's nowhere to cut (esp since we can't sell our house). So the response of telling people to find room in their budget is unhelpful and can be downright insulting. And I'm not sure on the whole eating less thing either, I've been doing this for 5 months and don't find myself eating substantially less at all.
    Well, the other response is to go make more money, which I would wager isn't going to provoke a happier response.

We're observing the way things work and communicating it, not setting the rules ourselves. I'd love to spend less money on food, or work less, or any number of things. But wanting it(by itself) isn't going to make it happen.

"It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money".

- Jack Handey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    One way to eat less is to eat more meat. Yeah, it's the most expensive item on your meat/vegetables/fruit/miscellaneous list but you know what? You can't overeat it. Believe me. I'm really good at overeating anything but I get to a point with the meat where it's like I'd rather not eat anything at all for a while because I feel like I'll die if I eat anymore meat. (By meat I mean beef and salmon, organ meat, chicken and pork, fresh meat, CAFO meat, grassfed meat, canned meat, don't matter.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    Math is a great tool but you have to use it correctly. That calculation requires multiplication, not division.
    1200 Euros x .801603 = $961.92
    No. The math presented was correct.

If 1 Dollar = .801603 Euro, how could 1200 Euro not equal MORE than 1200 dollars? In other words, how do you claim any number of Euro = a smaller number of dollars when 1 Euro > 1 dollar?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast