Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not cheap page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Primal is not cheap. 1000 a month on groceries for 2 People. 4 cartons of eggs and bacon a week doesn't help. Sure giving up grains makes me live longer. But living on the street will most likely shorten my life
    Better to pay the grocer than the doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Austin Milbarge. When do we begin our training?
    Nicely done!!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    My DH and I spend about $100 per week, sometimes $125. During the spring, summer, fall, we shop at the farmers market. We mostly eat organic and pasture raised. I myself eat about 4 eggs per day (sometimes more, sometimes none). Eggs are the cheapest source of protein I can get (just under $6 / dozen, I think). We generally only eat veggies that are in season (avocado's and berries excluded). This saves money because it's local, so usually cheaper (and usually organic). Also, if you have a yard, have you considered planting some of your own veggies? I have a small balcony and this year I have planted lettuce mix (a squirrel got into it and ate some of the seeds, so we may not get any), herbs (cilantro, Italian basil and Thai basil), and 4 cucumber plants (can't wait for these). They are being grown in pots.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    There are two of that spend about £50 ($78) per week and we eat primal foods.

Lots of canned fish (anhcovies, mackerel)
    lots of fresh salad
    organic Turkey (cheaper than chicken when it isn't Christmas)
    Cheap cuts of organic meat

We tend to plan our shopping each week and there are some really good farms near us that sell meat/eggs cheaper than the supermarkets do.

I once heard a great quote (cannot remember from who) that completely changed my mindset when it came to buying quality food:

"If you aren't going to invest in yourself and your own body, then what is the point"

Linny is offline Senior Member
    We spend anywhere from 800-1500/month. We live on the east coast. We only buy a few things organic/grassfed. Family of 2 adults and 2 kids. The higher cost months include a couple holiday meals (like Christmas and whatnot) or buying extra meat for freezer. Lower months are us dipping into the stored meats and eating out the garden. Our average I think is 900 per month.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Lucky Americans! I live in Belgium and primal for 2 (my OH is not really primal but eats what I cook) costs me about 1200 EUR. That includes all organic veg and meat (grass fed beef from Ireland), grass fed butter and other good fats. Plus I can't really eat eggs, so it's meat almost every meal for me EXXXPENSIVE!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Lots of people spend $5 a day for coffee at Starbucks and don't bat an eyelash at that waste of money.

Another way to reduce money if possible is it seems that keeping chickens has gotten really popular. We often get cartons of eggs from a lady at work. There's a lady at work with a plum tree, too. Plums all fall off at one time so she's begging people to take plums. We tend to have way more avocados than we can eat. We've sold them at work for 50 cents each. My boyfriend made $300 one year from his avocados. There's a man at my jam session who frequently brings grapefruit from his tree. I always take a few. When the passion fruits in our yard are ripe I'll bring in a few to work to trade for eggs. I have yet to receive my eggs so that one has been a bum deal for me. All this doesn't amount to much, but every little bit helps.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Only a fool would spend themselves into the poorhouse - for anything (overpriced emergency medical bills aside). Yeah, the stuff's expensive. Buy in bulk. Buy cheaper cuts. Buy in season. Buy local. There are a thousand threads in this forum on how to do it more economically. Yeah, it can be tough and require strategy. So do it. It is what it is.
    Last edited by carlh; 06-27-2012 at 06:54 AM.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    Lucky Americans! I live in Belgium and primal for 2 (my OH is not really primal but eats what I cook) costs me about 1200 EUR. That includes all organic veg and meat (grass fed beef from Ireland), grass fed butter and other good fats. Plus I can't really eat eggs, so it's meat almost every meal for me EXXXPENSIVE!
    Isn't a EUR like $.80 to a US $1.00? That would make 1200 EUR = $960 US, right?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    there are 1000 threads on this already. plus articles by robb wolf. jeez....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast