Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Not cheap page 10

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if some people are finding primal more expensive than their old way of eating because they are eating at home more, and therefore buying more groceries. When you stop eating convenience and restaurant food, you have to spend more on groceries. But eating real food at home still costs a fraction of eating out.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    We mostly eat what we grow. There's no way we could afford to buy food as good as homegrown. Beef, pork, chicken, eggs, fruit herbs & veggies. We spend a little more now on avocados, coconut oil, almonds & such. But we try to do without as much storebought as possible. We'd probably spend $1000 trying to source the same quality at the farmers' market or co-op.

We can produce pork for about $3/lb. average all cuts. We keep the organs at slaughter time. I sell pastured free-range eggs for $4/dz which is about the going rate in this area for non-organic. We use the old laying hens for soup.

Granted, growing our own takes 95% of our time at home, but it keeps us active & outdoors and in tune with life.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    I get my oxtails for something like 2.99 a lb grassfed. Definitely shop around, but ethnic markets are usually great for a lot of other stuff.
    I agree with this...I get mine at 3/pound from the same guys I get my side of beef from.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    We mostly eat what we grow. There's no way we could afford to buy food as good as homegrown. Beef, pork, chicken, eggs, fruit herbs & veggies. We spend a little more now on avocados, coconut oil, almonds & such. But we try to do without as much storebought as possible. We'd probably spend $1000 trying to source the same quality at the farmers' market or co-op.

We can produce pork for about $3/lb. average all cuts. We keep the organs at slaughter time. I sell pastured free-range eggs for $4/dz which is about the going rate in this area for non-organic. We use the old laying hens for soup.

Granted, growing our own takes 95% of our time at home, but it keeps us active & outdoors and in tune with life.
    THAT is awesome....I have 1 acre in a subdivision (bought a couple lots for space), and we continue to expand the garden areas. Hope to get chickens in here next year. Pork and Cow ain't up to code unfortunately. I get a side of beef and raw milk from some good places right now and farm eggs from a great sorce 2/dz. Family of four we spend about 300/month on the essentials (meat, eggs, milk, tators, and good fats)......another 200-300/month on the non-essentials (fruit, vegetables, random crap that we don't get from the garden).....Then we blow all the extra money on booze and sushi. Hey its the American Dream!

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Then we blow all the extra money on booze and sushi. Hey its the American Dream!
    Oh don't that sound familiar
    We haven't downsized our booze & coffee budget any. About $10/lb per week for the coffee we like. Found 1.5 liter bottles of some decent Malbec which helps, but our state just voted to privatize liquor sales and the prices are up by a 1/3. Ouch!

Congrats on growing your own! An acre is plenty of room once you figure out what you like to grow and what likes to grow in your area.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910