Thread: Blood tests- which ones? page

primalswan is offline Senior Member

Blood tests- which ones?

The last time I had any blood work done was when i was pregnant with my now 4 year old son. I was on the brink of gestational diabetes that pregnancy but was able to dramatically reign it in my cutting carbs. It has been 6 or 7 years since I had my cholesterol, etc. checked. I have a free test at a local lab for glucose(483) and total cholesterol screening(334) but am wondering if someone can tell me what I should do in addition so I have some useful information. I am a 35 year old female with a family history of diabetes, heart disease, and alzheimers.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Glucose for sure, fasting and non-fasting if you can. If by total cholesterol you mean a complete panel (not just the total cholesterol #), yes, for sure get that. I would also suggest vitamin D and iron, as those are common deficiencies. As for the rest, personally I would say go by how you feel! I have found very little useful information in the rest of my blood work results.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    I would add a complete thyroid panel including thyroid antibodies. Alzheimer's and Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism are both autoimmune disorders. I have several different types in my family ranging from Hashi's to Alzheimer's to MS to Lupus, etc.

And throw in a Celiac panel for good measure (again, another autoimmune disorder).

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If there's diabetes in your family, you should get an A1C which is far more reliable than just fasting glucose. It gives a 3-month average of your glucose levels. My endo does that regularly because I have a family history of diabetes.