Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squats page 4

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi

On the subject of squats, can anyone tell me what the difference is in movement from doing squats to deadlifts?
    Obviously you hold the weight in deadlifts as opposed to having the weight on your shoulders in the squat, but the actual body movement, isn’t it virtually the same in both exercises?
    Be good to hear some thoughts on this from the fitness guru’s.

Reason I ask is that I’m looking put weight on, and everywhere I read, it advises you must do squats. I have free weights with a bench, I have squat racks, but am not happy doing squats on my own, once I went too far down and couldn’t get back up, hurt my back getting out of that one!

Are there any good alternatives to squats that will be as good as regular squats?

At present I do deadlifts, incline dumbbell presses, dips, chins and bent over rows.

Cheers

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Safety first, you need pins in the rack or at least a safe way to dump the weight (not the best choice). The rack I use at the gym is 1" below my full depth squat. So I can dump the bar just by sitting down. Same when I bench (same rack) with my back correctly positioned I can do a full bench to chest, exhale and lay flat and the bar drops onto the rack.

Deadlifts and squats are similar but not the same:
    Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Safety first, you need pins in the rack or at least a safe way to dump the weight (not the best choice). The rack I use at the gym is 1" below my full depth squat. So I can dump the bar just by sitting down. Same when I bench (same rack) with my back correctly positioned I can do a full bench to chest, exhale and lay flat and the bar drops onto the rack.

Deadlifts and squats are similar but not the same:
    Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube
    Thanks for reply, done a bit of googling, and the consensus, as you say, they are similar, but use muscles in a differant way.
    So it would be beneficial to do both exercises, trouble is, without going to a gym, and without a rack, any ideas how to safely do squats at home alone?!

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    12, 12, 12
    It was actually 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 ,12 ,12 ,12. I hate my life.

I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Thanks for reply, done a bit of googling, and the consensus, as you say, they are similar, but use muscles in a differant way.
    So it would be beneficial to do both exercises, trouble is, without going to a gym, and without a rack, any ideas how to safely do squats at home alone?!
    I think there's benefits to having the weight on your back. Maybe get a sandbag. And do front squats with whatever weight you can clean. As far as mimicking the actual muscle usage of the squat, doing deadlifts in a trap bar as opposed to a straight bar might be a good enough analog for you. Trap bars aren't cheap, but they do prove that you're awesome.

cmlloyd Guest
    My Squats are more like this
    Mark Rippetoe: In the Gym with Coach Rip, Overhead Squats - YouTube
    I like dead lifts too but consider the free weighted squat a multi work out which works the core as well.
    But I like those videos you pointed me to. My Squats used to amze people in the gym I tend to have most of muscle in my legs. with the shoulder squat i can then move it to an overhead press if I'm feeling froggy.

I do squats at home I have a rack but don't depend on it if at any time I am feeling wiggly I stop. Good form is always essential so before adding a bar or anyweights make sure you do them just body weighted and get your form correct first. We don't need any busted hineys.

SonGoku is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Squats are such a natural movement, they just feel comfortable be it stretching or weighted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234