Thread: Vat Pasteurized Milk okay? page

JBriss2113 is offline Junior Member

Vat Pasteurized Milk okay?

Primal Fuel
    I live in NC and Raw Milk is almost impossible to get in the part of NC that I live in (we don't even have a whole foods or Trader Joes closest is 100 miles away). There is a health food store 20 minutes away that is selling the Kalona Vat Pasteurized Grass Fed Milk. Do yall think that this would be almost as good as raw milk? They say that the Vat Pasteurization method does keep most of the enzymes and beneficial bacteria in regular milk.

JBriss2113 is offline Junior Member
    Not in the area I live in no. Raw Milk itself is illegal in NC.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Then if you wish to consume milk, do the best you can, and if that is VAT pasteurization, then so be it. There is part of your 20%
    Point of clarification Sihana, dairy products are not "cheat foods" under Primal. Strict Loren Cordain paleo yes, Primal no.

Primal leaves dairy in a "you decide for yourself" category based on your physiology and goals. If someone has no intolerance problem and can handle the concentrated calories involved, dairy can be a really good and perfectly Primal food choice. A lot of people choose to cut out or limit dairy due to some combination of intolerance and "it's just so yummy I'm going to eat the whole package of cheese if I even have it in the house". But this is an individual choice, not a cheat.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    In Canada, unless you own a share in a dairy cow, raw milk is illegal. So, my only available choice is pasteurized. I do not count it as part of my 20%. I would say that, so long as you don't get negative reactions from dairy, your source of milk is fine.

Cheers.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    It was my understanding that 20% is just things you are unsure about/treats, not necessarily cheats.
    I just meant that the 80% is generally considered to be the "righteously Primal" and the 20% the "bad stuff". I just didn't want someone to get the idea that dairy was by definition un-Primal. Dairy is like nightshades, I have no problem with them but some people do. Strict paleo would say that they are new world foods therefor unacceptable for everyone. I think that goes a bit over the top.

Personally I don't like the whole concept of planning in a percentage of cheats. I think the 80/20 is good because it keeps you from beating yourself up about things you can't control but I don't think it should be used a free pass to go have pizza and sodas.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-26-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just meant that the 80% is generally considered to be the "righteously Primal" and the 20% the "bad stuff". I just didn't want someone to get the idea that dairy was by definition un-Primal. Dairy is like nightshades, I have no problem with them but some people do. Strict paleo would say that they are new world foods therefor unacceptable for everyone. I think that goes a bit over the top.

Personally I don't like the whole concept of planning in a percentage of cheats. I think the 80/20 is good because it keeps you from beating yourself up about things you can't control but I don't think it should be used a free pass to go have pizza and sodas.
    +1

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Yep!