Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people threatened by this choice I have made? page

isbolick is offline Member

Why are people threatened by this choice I have made?

Primal Fuel
    I am seeing this all over the place. My vegan friends, who have been vegan for a long time and I have never said, "you shouldn't do that' are suddenly lecturing me about my diet, my mother thinks I am going to die, and some of my clients now spend more time talking about food than they do about horses (no, we never discuss horses FOR food). Apparently, "I feel great, have more energy than I have had in years and have lost eight pounds in ten days." doesn't mean anything. I also see it here. There are so many threads where people are doing everything they can to shoot holes in the primal lifestyle choice.

And isn't that what this is? A CHOICE? Don't make it if you don't agree with it, but don't pretend that that other diet choices are magically better than the one I have made.

I am getting kind of crabby about defending this thing, can you tell?? I eat SO much better than I ever did before. How can giving up processed foods be BAD? Or choosing to live off of whole foods? Oh, I know...it's the scary MEAT!!! I am now eating grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free, chicken, pork and beef instead of the CRAP I used to eat, but it doesn't matter to most of these people. It is weird how defensive people get if you say "Dairy really isn't all that good for you and neither are cereal grains."

If you are a happy, healthy vegan...go team!! If you are a happy, healthy vegetarian...good for you!! If you are a happy, healthy eater of simple carbs and fast food...Ok, I think you are fooling yourself, but what has it got to do with me???

What is it about this that threatens other people to the point that they will waste large portions of their time trying to denigrate it??

Ukprimalchick is offline Junior Member
    I've just blogged a little bit on this subject, I concluded that everyone should do what works best for them, but my food shopping looks the best

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    The same thing happened to me when I first went primal- has your mom said "you're loosing too much, too fast" yet? I got that through the first winter, and even still get it despite being a stable weight for well over a year.

Just arm yourself with knowledge, and whenever they try to drag you down, give a quick lecture on why they're idiots. After a while, they'll either change their minds or feel it's not worth it to argue with you.

isbolick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    The same thing happened to me when I first went primal- has your mom said "you're loosing too much, too fast" yet? I got that through the first winter, and even still get it despite being a stable weight for well over a year.

Just arm yourself with knowledge, and whenever they try to drag you down, give a quick lecture on why they're idiots. After a while, they'll either change their minds or feel it's not worth it to argue with you.
    I have a Southern mother, of COURSE she has said that! Along with, "you can be the most attractive corpse in the morgue". Which totally ignores the fact that I am STILL overweight and I imagine I will be for awhile to come. I still have 48 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.

I am really feeling good about this and about myself for the first time in...maybe ever. Even back when I was fit and thin, I never felt GOOD about myself. And the better I feel, it seems like there are some people who want to pick that apart. Thank god my husband and kids are so supportive!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    The big mistake here is discussing it with others in the first place. I know that it can be kind of exciting at first as you feel better and maybe some pounds fall off. The fact is though, nobody wants to hear about it. Remember too that you are trying to convince the masses that what they've been taught, what they believe is wrong. That is not going to go down easy for any of them. Most people just simply go along for the ride and conform. That's just the way it is. The simple concept of eating real/organic foods that are as nature intended is something that they just can't grasp. There has been enormous brainwashing for decades and sadly most have fallen for it and can't fathom that such a thing could be true.

All this said, keep doing what you know is right. Eat real food and stop talking about it unless there is real interest. Aside from that, just be the example and stop worrying what others think. It doesn't matter!!

katiepotato is offline Member
    I went to breakfast with some friends last week - the table was loaded with sugary cereals, reduced fat yoghurts, packaged fruit juice, croissants, pain au chocolat etc etc - and when I said that I would stick to the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs I got raised eyebrows and "oh so you're treating yourself this morning?" I could have given them a lecture on grains and insulin response but rather than jump on my soapbox I just smiled. I'll be the winner in the end.

When people ask me about primal and I tell them it's "eat like a caveman" - before I can explain further about adaptations for the modern world I am always asked "so does that mean you eat raw meat?" Erm no, fire was discovered quite a long time ago!

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Well, you know, it's intimidating to see someone kicking ass and taking names Rock on and they'll get over it. Or not. Whatever.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but talking about horses as a food source in a riding barn is not a good idea. Yeah, learned that one the hard way. (I love horses, and my sister says they taste pretty good.)
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    I have a Southern mother, of COURSE she has said that! Along with, "you can be the most attractive corpse in the morgue". Which totally ignores the fact that I am STILL overweight and I imagine I will be for awhile to come. I still have 48 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.
    lol... I love the concern, especially when the people questioning you aren't healthy, and aren't doing anything about it. Hell, I had my sis try to tell me about how "people usually go back on foods after a while..." This is primal, not atkins, and it's a lifestyle, not a crash diet.

I am really feeling good about this and about myself for the first time in...maybe ever. Even back when I was fit and thin, I never felt GOOD about myself. And the better I feel, it seems like there are some people who want to pick that apart. Thank god my husband and kids are so supportive!
    Just keep it going. The longer your go, the more persistent you are in becoming healthier and feeling great, the less they'll have to say to try to knock you down.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    The big mistake here is discussing it with others in the first place. I know that it can be kind of exciting at first as you feel better and maybe some pounds fall off. The fact is though, nobody wants to hear about it. Remember too that you are trying to convince the masses that what they've been taught, what they believe is wrong. That is not going to go down easy for any of them. Most people just simply go along for the ride and conform. That's just the way it is. The simple concept of eating real/organic foods that are as nature intended is something that they just can't grasp. There has been enormous brainwashing for decades and sadly most have fallen for it and can't fathom that such a thing could be true.

All this said, keep doing what you know is right. Eat real food and stop talking about it unless there is real interest. Aside from that, just be the example and stop worrying what others think. It doesn't matter!!
    +1

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anything different from what the government tells us, what doctors & nutritionists tell us, is met with resistance. How can someone possibly feel good or improve their health going against everything we've been told for decades? Notice veg eating is widely accepted as the pinnacle of healthy eating - so the fact that you eat meat (and some saturated fat!) is seen as the opposite.

Oh well, like others said... have to do what is best for you and sometimes just stop talking about it with people. Geez, and don't bring it up on weight loss/nutrition sites that are not paleo/primal friendly - they will attack with a vengeance. LOL
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast