Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why are people threatened by this choice I have made? page 3

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh god - if I had a dollar for every time my dad said something to the effect of "Did your doctor TELL you to do this?!" while he is toothless, multiple bypass, stents, arteries threatening to rupture in 5 different places, knee replacements, awful skin, smoking, psychologically dependent on his "pills"...

But in his case, he is railing against the fact that I had, and still have, the unmitigated gall to choose a lifestyle contrary to HIS TEACHINGS (aka my upbringing) (control-freak dad). Some of the parental stuff really could stem from that.

Love all the posts. I think there is truth to each and every one of them.

SentWest is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I have noticed that in these forums also and it really bothers me. Why are people here if they do not subscribe to what Mark Sisson has given people in his research and lifestyle?
    I'd still rather they be here and be trying than be subsisting on slimfast and wishes. It is frusterating though to see the "Why isn't it working, I'm PB.... except for the gatorade, and power bars, and beer, and...."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've learned to never, ever use the c-word (caveman!) in any conversation about my lifestyle. If asked--and only if asked!--I say that we eat whole, fresh foods, mostly from local sources, and that we don't eat grains or legumes because we prefer more nutrient-dense foods. I will sometimes say it's a hunter-gatherer or ancestral-style diet, but the caveman thing just loses you all credibility.

And seriously, don't just go around telling people that they are eating wrong. Have sensible, respectful conversations when appropriate, and accept that not everyone is going to agree with you. I think a lot of the time that dietary choices are best kept to oneself, much like religious opinions, except when someone asks you or when it's necessary to bring them up.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite things about eating this way is that most people just think I eat wildly unhealthily. That's fine with me! I feel like people could care less if I eat bad food, but they are much more judgmental and critical if they think I am trying to eat "healthy" and watch my weight.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I stopped even entertaining the question after my first month of going primal (during which month I knew what to do but not always exactly why and drove myself crazy trying to have that fight). Now I have a system of fun standbys that I can rattle out all day for the primal bashers.

You don't eat whole grains? Where do you get your fiber? I eat over a pound of vegetable matter a day. Where do you get yours? (sounds good, but a cup of broccoli, some seared zucchini, and a handful of berries will cover it) Or, Aren't you worried about cholesterol? Absolutely not, I eat plenty of cholesterol.

With persistent hackers, I eventually move on to a simple shrug for the question and an example of a relevant result.

But isn't all that cholesterol going to clog your arteries? shrUg. My total cholesterol has floated at around 200 for the better part of the last decade.

Then every once in awhile you get that gem - someone with these same questions who is legitimately curious. Who listens when you explain what cholesterol is really for. How your body uses it. And what actually triggers a cholesterol/plaque problem in your arteries, etc. I live for those (admittedly rare) conversations.

Too many people treat diet like politics or religion.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I'll repeat what others have said, quit talking about it, quit making it a subject of conversation. I've been primal for three years and have yet to discuss it with anyone, other then like minded people that brought it up first. I have less then zero interest in persuading others that they should go primal or my WOE might be beneficial for them. We all have to find our own way in life, IMO.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    ^agreed. I've only brought up with family members who are sick and extremely obese (who were complaining about their problems and asking how I was getting to be so healthy). EVERY person I've mentioned primal/paleo/low-carb to has rolled their eyes, said something along the line of either "oh, so you live on bacon, THAT'S gotta be healthy" or "I tried that before, it didn't work."

I give up. Some people have no interest in changing their lives. No matter what you say, what study or studies you show them, no matter how sick they are, they would rather be ugly and sarcastic. I have come to the conclusion that I will lead by example and when they see how far I've come maybe they'll be more open-minded and will ask how I did it and will be willing to learn. Until then I eat my fat and laugh at the idiots starving themselves and getting zero results.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

isbolick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I'll repeat what others have said, quit talking about it, quit making it a subject of conversation. I've been primal for three years and have yet to discuss it with anyone, other then like minded people that brought it up first. I have less then zero interest in persuading others that they should go primal or my WOE might be beneficial for them. We all have to find our own way in life, IMO.
    I will respond to this "stop talking about it" post, but let the answer stand for the others.

A) My 81 year old mother lives with us. It is hard to avoid her at dinner time. She sees what I eat.

B) I spend a great deal of time at my farm with my clients. They have all noticed that I am not drinking diet soda any more and that I have lost weight. THEY ask ME. It would seem weird to say, "I am sorry, I cannot discuss this."

C) The trolls on this message board were here before me.

I tend to not care about what other people eat, so I am not thinking they are that interested in what I am eating. Oddly, I have discovered that is really NOT the case. I think I will use the 'whole foods' thing from now on, though. Nobody can really argue with that.
    Last edited by isbolick; 06-26-2012 at 06:38 PM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's rather scary, a full-grown adult still dragging around a dirty blanky and sucking their thumb.
    ...and they vote...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Jen AlcesAlces is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    I think I will use the 'whole foods' thing from now on, though. Nobody can really argue with that.
    True, hard for anyone to argue with that. I hardly ever get negative feedback if I say "whole foods" or the words "unprocessed" and "nutrient-dense".
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast