Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people threatened by this choice I have made? page 2

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    The big mistake here is discussing it with others in the first place. I know that it can be kind of exciting at first as you feel better and maybe some pounds fall off. The fact is though, nobody wants to hear about it. Remember too that you are trying to convince the masses that what they've been taught, what they believe is wrong. That is not going to go down easy for any of them. Most people just simply go along for the ride and conform. That's just the way it is. The simple concept of eating real/organic foods that are as nature intended is something that they just can't grasp. There has been enormous brainwashing for decades and sadly most have fallen for it and can't fathom that such a thing could be true.

All this said, keep doing what you know is right. Eat real food and stop talking about it unless there is real interest. Aside from that, just be the example and stop worrying what others think. It doesn't matter!!
    QFT. Don't talk about Fight Club. Lead with results, fly under the radar when possible, and try hard to avoid any suggestion of smug superiority when cornered into a discussion of CW vs PB with all its attendant myths and excuses. After all, most of us who were overweight or unhealthy labored under the same misconceptions ourselves until recently.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    I read an article on cracked a few months ago about why it's so much better to be an adult. One of the reasons was ''you can choose who you hang out with''. It just made so much sense. I'm not in high school anymore. Someone doesn't support me, doesn't bring more to the table than he takes or just won't change and evolve? F*ck him, I look for someone else to spend my time and invest personally and emotionally with. Life is short. No point on surrounding myself with people who suck and just want to drag me down in their misery.

It's harsh, but it saves so much drama and makes life so much easier and so much more interesting.

SentWest is offline Member
    People are scared of things that solve the problem, but necessitate hard work and real or perceived sacrifice. If they kind of dink around with a half-solution and fail it doesn't really matter, but if there's a real fix, they know it's a real fix, and they can't do the hard work, there's nothing to blame. I think some people, probably unconsciously, would prefer that there exist no method of eating by which to become healthy. If the game is rigged, and no one can succeed, they don't have to worry about succeeding themselves, they can just make the "I'm eating low-fat" noise to fit in socially, and not worry about results.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    QFT. Don't talk about Fight Club. Lead with results, fly under the radar when possible, and try hard to avoid any suggestion of smug superiority when cornered into a discussion of CW vs PB with all its attendant myths and excuses. After all, most of us who were overweight or unhealthy labored under the same misconceptions ourselves until recently.
    This one. At most nowadays I just say what worked / works for me, and if they want to know more I send them a link or two.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SentWest View Post
    People are scared of things that solve the problem, but necessitate hard work and real or perceived sacrifice. If they kind of dink around with a half-solution and fail it doesn't really matter, but if there's a real fix, they know it's a real fix, and they can't do the hard work, there's nothing to blame. I think some people, probably unconsciously, would prefer that there exist no method of eating by which to become healthy. If the game is rigged, and no one can succeed, they don't have to worry about succeeding themselves, they can just make the "I'm eating low-fat" noise to fit in socially, and not worry about results.
    This. Your success is a threat because it might mean they have to quit whining and get it done too.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people don't want to be healthy. They want to look like they want to be healthy while nurturing pain so they can feel special and have things to whine about. There's nothing fun about being perfectly healthy for a hypochondriac. The same goes for attention-seekers. If nothing is wrong, then you have no excuse for your laziness and sloth. A lot of people I talk to are proud of the pills they take. It's rather scary, a full-grown adult still dragging around a dirty blanky and sucking their thumb.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    A lot of people don't want to be healthy. They want to look like they want to be healthy while nurturing pain so they can feel special and have things to whine about. There's nothing fun about being perfectly healthy for a hypochondriac. The same goes for attention-seekers. If nothing is wrong, then you have no excuse for your laziness and sloth. A lot of people I talk to are proud of the pills they take. It's rather scary, a full-grown adult still dragging around a dirty blanky and sucking their thumb.
    Have to agree with this~ I know way too many people that play one-upmanship with their ailments and number of meds. What especially annoys me is the *disease of the month club* and you're only special if you've been diagnosed, otherwise, you can't complain about the symptoms. Probably because I'm older, too many age related problems.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    I am seeing this all over the place. I also see it here. There are so many threads where people are doing everything they can to shoot holes in the primal lifestyle choice.
    I have noticed that in these forums also and it really bothers me. Why are people here if they do not subscribe to what Mark Sisson has given people in his research and lifestyle?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiepotato View Post
    When people ask me about primal and I tell them it's "eat like a caveman" - before I can explain further about adaptations for the modern world I am always asked "so does that mean you eat raw meat?" Erm no, fire was discovered quite a long time ago!
    I tend to avoid the whole caveman thing. It can be a bit of a rabbit hole. Then it's "But didn't they die by the time they were 30?", "Weren't their foods completely different from what's in our grocery store today?" and all that.

Besides, while I feel that looking at how we evolved is a good way to inform our eating, it's not the entire picture. Just because we didn't eat a given food one million years ago, it doesn't mean it isn't well tolerated and beneficial. For example, dairy was an extremely beneficial food, though novel, in many cultures. I do believe we need to seriously scrutinize novel foods, especially when they require extensive processing to be tolerated, like grains and legumes.

There is also the fact that we all have our own individuality. Some of us have the genetics to tolerate some novel foods that others don't have. I prefer to think of the evolution thing as a template. We work with it to find what works best for our own body.

SentWest is offline Member
    What I don't get is the people (usually teh ladies in my experience) who live on celery and cigarettes trying to lose weight but are aghast that I don't eat bread.

My mom gives me the opposite problem though, she's convinced that no bread = anorexia, no matter how much of everything else I stuff in my face.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast