Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Balancing leaning out vs gaining muscle page 2

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OP- yes you will look smaller as you lose body fat but that doesn't mean that you have lost the muscle you have gained. You will just look more defined. what I have done sometimes is when I plateau and not losing,I cycle my calories. I would eat at maintenance for a a few days and then the following week cut back. This has worked for me so try that.
    I would even low carb on the days you are not as active and just up the protein and fat.

sandstone is offline Member
    Are you taking BCAAs during the fasting phase either side of the workout as Martin suggests?
    Last edited by sandstone; 06-27-2012 at 02:18 AM.

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-J View Post
    Eat one or two large meals, no snacks. Done
    Stay on track with exercise, try to increase if possible. Done
    More fat on training days? I tried this before...but didn't work for me. Maybe try again.
    I'd concur on everything above and add this; look at a carb count at or below 50 throughout your week. Bring it up a little on the weekends an treat yourself maybe. You and I are pretty close size wise, I'm right at 6'1" 175 lbs but sitting at around 10% body fat. I started at 220 lbs 6 months ago. Ketogenic throughtout the week, on an IF schedule that had me eating breakfast and lunch, about 4 hours apart, and nothing through the remainder of the day. I had two specific criteria: 1 gram of protein per lbs LBM (estimated at the time about 150 lbs or so) per day and less than 50 grams carbohydrates. It was a pain to count macro-nutrients, but it worked great for me. The link to my journal is below if you'd like more details on what I did and to see my own progression. The photos are pretty telling.

One more side note, you mentioned earlier that when you cut fat, you also cut muscle. If you still have a layer of adipose tissue you want to shed, you likely have plenty of excess inter-muscular fat along with the outter layer. Unless you get physically weaker when you noticably cut fat, you're likely just dropping intermuscular fat from otherwise lean tissue. Something to think about. Keep pluggin' away, brother.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Primal-J is offline Member
    Thanks for all the advice,

I seem to be very carb sensitive. In my 3 years experience, I've noticed I lose significant amount of weight when I go VLC. Is it possible, given my sensitivity to carbohydrates, that I'm eating too many on my workout days? Just wondering if this has been an issue for anyone. I seem to be "ketogenitically" adapted - I can get through months with very little carbs (veggies only).

J

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Where are your squats and deadlifts?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I don't have a gym membership for the summer - my tennis equals hundreds of lunges and my legs are quite large and defined. But in the fall I go back to gym and squat, dead and row.

That's the funny thing with me; my legs are lean, muscular and very strong (probably from sprinting, tennis and biking). My upper body seems to hold all the fat.

J

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Yea I saw you are very active. IMO the tennis and other activities will help get you lean but if you want to build muscle you need start a proper strength training program.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Just to mention I do squat at home, as I've been following simplefit. However, because my legs are quite strong, I don't think it's having much of an impact considering I can easily do 30 to 40 proper squats without added weight. Hopefully once I get back to the gym I can work out a good strength program again. I'll focus on cutting this summer. I just don't want to lose too much muscle.

I think this is what I'm going to do;

I'm going to enter a cutting phase until September. I'll eat slightly under my maintenance levels with the intent of only losing 2-3lbs a month. During this time I will continue doing chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups with weights and hill sprints and regular activities such as tennis and walking. I'll stick to a relatively low carb (50-75) plan and see what happens. If I lose 3-5lbs it should be enough to notice on my upper body. Hopefully I won't lose too much lean tissue.

Then, in September when I get my gym membership, I'll start a strength program that includes squats, deadlifts and an assortment of big and heavy movements.

Sound good?

J

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-J View Post
    Just to mention I do squat at home, as I've been following simplefit. However, because my legs are quite strong, I don't think it's having much of an impact considering I can easily do 30 to 40 proper squats without added weight. Hopefully once I get back to the gym I can work out a good strength program again. I'll focus on cutting this summer. I just don't want to lose too much muscle.
    Most people should be able to do 30 to 40 squats without weights especially if they are active with the exception of people with injuries. What was the last weight you squatted? Even if you have strong legs, you still need to lift heavy, you just need to decrease volume if you don't want to stimulate growth. Considering you're eating at a fat loss state, I doubt you will gain any more muscle on your thighs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast