Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging? page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

Jogging?

Is jogging not really Primal type of workout, for a lack of a better term?
    I've seen a lot on sprinting, weight, resistance type of exercise, but not much on jogging on this site.
    I jog at least 3 mi. almost daily.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    jogging is great, if you feel good doing it!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    Is jogging not really Primal type of workout, for a lack of a better term?
    I've seen a lot on sprinting, weight, resistance type of exercise, but not much on jogging on this site.
    I jog at least 3 mi. almost daily.
    Jogging is not considered Primal. It falls under steady state aerobic activity. At 3 miles almost daily would be considered chronic cardio. Some will disagree but it definitely fits that description.

HIIT such as sprinting has been shown to be superior to steady state training. There is also far less wear and tear on the joints etc.

This said, I think that one should be able to sprint or jog on demand to consider themselves fit.

Billy The Squid is offline Junior Member
    I think jogging is good. I don't know if it is "Primal" and given that "Primal" is a fictional construct, useful but fictional, I don't really worry about the label. I think being able to sustain activity over a long time is healthy. Is there an exact demarcation between walking fast and jogging? I run four time a week at 3 to 11 miles a session now. If you run and have breakdown or stress injuries, then commonsense dictates harm-avoidance.

I consider sprint workouts or fartlek integral to training. I use a program on iPhone called Zombies Run that necessitates short bursts of speed to avoid the occasional undead pursuer. I recently have imagined this part of the Primal lifestyle.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Mark defines chronic cardio as regular aerobic exercise with heart rate sustained at 75% max or higher. It's as simple as that.

It sounds like you're sufficiently fit that as long as you don't jog very fast, i.e. jog don't run, that won't be chronic cardio. Some people are so unfit that walking constitutes chronic cardo. It's all relative.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Mark defines chronic cardio as regular aerobic exercise with heart rate sustained at 75% max or higher. It's as simple as that.

It sounds like you're sufficiently fit that as long as you don't jog very fast, i.e. jog don't run, that won't be chronic cardio. Some people are so unfit that walking constitutes chronic cardo. It's all relative.
    Thank you for your replies. I am 5' 3" and fluctuate between 123 -125 lbs. I started jogging regularly about a month ago because it makes me feel good and I'm trying to get rid of some still visible body fat.

otzi Guest
    I have given up my 3 times a week 3 mile jogs. Instead I do a 3 mile circuit, I walk about 1/2 mile, then do 100yard sprints for 1/2 mile. Then I do an all-out run for 1 mile (usually about 6-7 minutes). Then walk 1/2 mile and finish with 100 yard sprints. Takes about the same time--or a little longer--as a 3 mile jog.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ You should carry on enjoying it then! I doubt you have much excess fat at that weight. But whatever ... just have fun.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Mshathvri is offline Senior Member
    I love the idea of surviving a zombie apocalypse as part of the fictional primal construct. =) Running, climbing, and living off of the land... (sorry to digress in the thread, but I *loved* what Billy the Squid said.)

With regard to jogging, I'd venture that your results will vary depending on how easy or difficult the jogging is for you. Chronic cardio you want to give a miss according to MDA, but if you find jogging incredibly easy, it might be part of your long, slow easy exercise regime.
    Beastly musician / My Primal Blog

My plan for the year (July 23rd 2012-July 23rd 2013):

Walk to Mordor. I have walked 12.33 miles out of 1779.
    Do Convict Conditioning / balance exercises.
    Eat primally.
    Take a progress picture once a week.
    Don't weigh myself.

Starting weight: 223
    Current weight: ???
    Goal weight: 145

Waist measurement 08/03/12: 42 inches and three quarters
    Goal waist measurement: 30 inches

Loulou is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree, if you enjoy it and aren't getting injured, keep jogging. I still enjoy a light jog (3 miles) a couple times a week just to clear my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast