Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many questions? page

ampmpj is offline Junior Member

Question So many questions?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm new here to paleo. I have done a lot of research and now I believe I'm a victim of information overload. Count calories don't count calories, too many omega-6 according to paleotrack, eat fruit don't eat fruit, and the list goes on and on.
    My goals: to get healthy. lose excess body fat, increase my physical activities, and alleviate bp meds. I am definitely carb sensitive.
    Here are my stats:
    The Zone Body Composition Calculator

Female Version
    hips:5o
    waist: 37
    weight: 263
    height: 71" (5'11")
    activity: light fitness training
    body fat: 44%
    tot. body fat: 116 lbs
    lbm: 147
    protein requirements: 88 gms

Please help!!! Where do I start?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    At your weight and height I would suggest the following:

For the first months settle in a paleo/primal eating routine. Discover when and what you eat. Do not weigh yourself, but if the pants get tighter, drop fat, increase vegetables.
    Once you have the pattern, log your food and macros for 2 weeks, to get a handle on your portions and ratios.
    Then do not count calories but weigh yourself every week and measure yourself every month until you drop to about 200 lbs, or do not see weight loss for 4 weeks in a row.

Do not eat fruit.

Do not eat dairy for the first month. If it makes no difference, introduce fermented dairy first. Raw cheese in another 2 weeks.

Do not drink liquid calories.

Use fattier cuts of meats and fish, rather than added fat. If you use fat, use coconut oil, butter or animal fat for cooking and olive oil for dressing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    For me, I had to eliminate all sugars and cut back a bit on calories and make sure I do exercise to get the weight loss going. I am very carb sensitive due to years of neglecting my blood sugar levels.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Keep it Simple. Follow the Primal Blueprint (or one of the stricter Paleo books, if you prefer). Eat from the list of prefered foods. Don't count calories, don't try to figure out your Macros, just eat non-processed, organic and grass-fed if possible (but don't sweat it TOO much) food--meat/fish, veggies and a modest amount of fresh fruit (if it doesn't set off a binge-urge), and healthy fats. Limit nuts/seeds. I would suggest eliminating dairy for the first 30 days, then re-introducing it cautiously. Eat virtually no sugar. After 30 days I added in a tiny amount of honey on occasion. Exercise. That's it. See how the weight loss goes for a while before tweaking the diet and worrying about calories/macros, etc. It doesn't have to be as complex as many forum discussions have gotten you thinking.

Thank you all so very much for your input. I am so eager to get started and to get healthy.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Have you read the book yet? How about everything on the "Start Here" tab at the top of the page?

I really recommend easing into this gradually. Its not a diet you "go on" and then you're fixed. Start by eliminating the most toxic foods...industrial seed oils, wheat, corn, soy -- and all the foods made from them. This will eliminate almost all processed foods. One toxic food at a time (I started with the oils, then the grains) In their place, learn to eat the good fats, meat, eggs, all kinds of colorful raw and cooked veggies, coconut in all forms, a little fruit & nuts, maybe a little full-fat dairy if you tolerate it.

Ignore the macros and percentages at first...just get in the habit of eating these primal foods. Experiment with ways to enjoy them, stock your fridge/pantry with them, make them a habit. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Pay attention to how specific foods/meals make you feel. Give yourself 3-6 weeks.

Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not. Ignore traditional meal 'times' and the CW rule that you must eat 6x a day. (the only meal time I adhere to is dinner, because sitting down to a healthy meal with family is more important to me than anything else about this WOE) Experiment with how long you can go between meals without being hungry. Embrace hunger as a natural bodily function (like the fuel light on your dash board) and experiment with what true hunger feels like.

Once you get the hang of it, you can start tweaking your menus & routines.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Thanks Sandra in BC. I was also wondering is this WOE conducive to fat loss, I have noticed that many in this lifestyle are not here just to decrease body fat but for a lifestyle change. I want to do BOTH. ~adm

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Not to get you confused but Kurt Harris MD has a diet with a list of progression which is very similar to the primal. Kurt Harris MD is very respected in the paleo community. He allows more carbs if your metabolism is not impaired.

Jimmy Moore has a podcast with Harris
    Last edited by Moochy; 06-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

thanks Moochy

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ampmpj View Post
    Thanks Sandra in BC. I was also wondering is this WOE conducive to fat loss, I have noticed that many in this lifestyle are not here just to decrease body fat but for a lifestyle change. I want to do BOTH. ~adm
    Yep. Me too. My goal is finding my right size as a result of a healthy lifestyle. I am not on a diet . This has been ridiculously easy. The results have been gradual. But I'm not in a hurry
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast