Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many questions? page 2

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ampmpj View Post
    Hi, I'm new here to paleo.
    I started by just cutting out grains and processed sugar in the form of jam etc. Then I went on a free weight loss web site at Food Focus - Nutrition & Weight Management and started counting calories. I KNOW that it's just an approximation but it does help to keep me more strict with myself. I ignore anything to do with exercise in my calculations as it takes a lot of effort to use calories up. The way I see it, I had to find foods that stop me from getting hungry too quickly but can be readily used in a calorie counting regime. I do have treats as part of my new lifestyle. These include medicinal ;-) 70% cocoa solid chocolate every day and red wine three times a week.

So far I have been having trouble keeping the carbs down to the level recommended here but I have been successful with the calorie counting. I set a goal of losing 1lb per week and am beating it regularly. I looked at 2lbs a week but I would have had to cut out the treats and that would make life dismal.

What we're looking at here is a complete change of eating habits for life. I really miss my Marmite on toast and french stick with cheese & wine but I make up with other foods I like that are more primal.

You need to find something that works for you and that you can stick with for ever. My wife is the same weight now as when we got married 40 years ago because she found an eating system that she can keep to.
    Last edited by Nigel; 06-27-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

ampmpj is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Yep. Me too. My goal is finding my right size as a result of a healthy lifestyle. I am not on a diet . This has been ridiculously easy. The results have been gradual. But I'm not in a hurry
    I'm thinking of doing low carb to get my fat gone minus the processed junk and sweeteners and then moving into primal to maintain.
    2010-2011 I was in a Medifast study and lost 50lbs in less than 6mos. Last year i had surgery on my feet and was diagnosed with a lymphoma that only affects my skin so in the process I have put back on 20lbs so now Im ready to move forward.

Did my 2nd 5K in March 2012 speed walking so now onward upward had another surgery April, so now onward and upward again.....

ampmpj is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I started by just cutting out grains and processed sugar in the form of jam etc. Then I went on a free weight loss web site at Food Focus - Nutrition & Weight Management and started counting calories. I KNOW that it's just an approximation but it does help to keep me more strict with myself. I ignore anything to do with exercise in my calculations as it takes a lot of effort to use calories up. The way I see it, I had to find foods that stop me from getting hungry too quickly but can be readily used in a calorie counting regime. I do have treats as part of my new lifestyle. These include medicinal ;-) 70% cocoa solid chocolate every day and red wine three times a week.

So far I have been having trouble keeping the carbs down to the level recommended here but I have been successful with the calorie counting. I set a goal of losing 1lb per week and am beating it regularly. I looked at 2lbs a week but I would have had to cut out the treats and that would make life dismal.

What we're looking at here is a complete change of eating habits for life. I really miss my Marmite on toast and french stick with cheese & wine but I make up with other foods I like that are more primal.

You need to find something that works for you and that you can stick with for ever. My wife is the same weight now as when we got married 40 years ago because she found an eating system that she can keep to.
    Thanks Nigel, you are so right finding what works for me is essential to success. So I'm getting ideas and information to do just that, if it gets too tedious then it won't become permanent/lifestyle. Thank you for your practical advice...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12