Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far does 80/20 go? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

How far does 80/20 go?

Primal Fuel
    If I have a bowl of stone ground grits with butter every morning for a week and eat primal before and after, is that significant in terms of health or weight gaining?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You have to decide that for yourself. I tried to introduce my mother to this diet and she figured she could do it and still eat ice cream with hot fudge and toast every morning and this and that and the other and pretty much she wasn't doing the Primal blueprint at all so she got no results at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I tried to introduce my mother to this diet and she figured she could do it and still eat ice cream with hot fudge and toast every morning...
    Ice cream with hot fudge and toast? At least make it a waffle cone for the ice cream.

Okay, more seriously, I completely agree with sbhikes that the 80/20 is very individual. Experiment and see what works. If after a week or two you're finding that you're not feeling good, or (if you're doing primal with weight loss in mind) your weight loss has stalled, try not having the grits for a week or two. If you feel good and your weight is doing what you want it to do, then keep the grits if that's your preference. The key here is finding a way of eating that's sustainable.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    BlueToad - off topic, sorry, but is your avatar Death from the Sandman series? If so, FABULOUS. Okay, sorry about going OT...carry on...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Eats shoots and leaves. Yeah, punctuation might have helped it not sound like my mom ate her toast with her hot fudge sundaes and ate them together at breakfast every day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Now that I don't do grains anymore, I can't even cheat with a beer or 2! Even 1/2 a beer almost knocks me out, makes me feel puffy and woozy and no fun buzz. Not worth the trouble. I get a similar effect with old favorites like pizza and meat pies, but not as bad. Maybe because there are lots of primal ingredients to blunt the reaction.

Still experimenting with what makes a good 20% though. My birthday & vacation are coming up, so we'll see. I'm thinking potatoes will be a good kick-off
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

ss14 is offline Member
    I'm not full Primal, I just think it's a sensible guideline and a good springboard for interesting discussion about metabolism and lifestyle. But you still might be interested in my experience:

I still eat wheat fairly regularly at lunch. I eat most of my carbohydrate for the day at lunch, and I don't find wheat acutely affects me any differently than any other starch. I don't eat much of it, and I don't eat it with animal fat/protein or fruit/sugar, which I get plenty of at breakfast and dinner. It's convenient and tastes good, so I eat it, like the French and Italians do.

Since I've been eating this way, I've had great results, and I can't think of a single food I tolerate worse than when I started. All starch and sugar I tolerate much better, because I'm not constantly flooded with it, I only get it at certain times. Things I was mildly sensitive to like avocados and some raw vegetables I'm even less sensitive to now. For some people there might be something to be said for not cutting things out completely, I'm not sure, it's an interesting topic anyway.

To be clear, I do believe the hype about wheat, but I think eating such a small quantity limits the damage so that it's not all that different from giving it up completely. I could read something today that makes me think that's wrong and I would adjust accordingly. That's part of the fun of coming on forums like this.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You can eat whatever you want, and whatever % primal you feel like, and nobody will call you to account for it. It's just an idea to get you thinking about your food habits.
    Will you get the optimum results eating wheat porridge every day? Who knows. I wouldn't.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    Why would anyone want to eat grits anyway? I guess there is no accounting for individual tastes. But I never found them appealing even pre-Primal.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    you can eat whatever you want, and whatever % primal you feel like, and nobody will call you to account for it. It's just an idea to get you thinking about your food habits.
    Will you get the optimum results eating wheat porridge every day? Who knows. I wouldn't.
    this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast