Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food intolerances, at the end of my tether here page

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member

food intolerances, at the end of my tether here

Shop Now
    Till the age of 27 I had never suffered much in the way of allergies, apart from being slightly itchy when I stroked a cat. Then 3 years ago out of the blue I started to wheeze and cough when I drank my favourite alcoholic drink, cider. After a while I seemed to react to all sorts of things, with reflux and excessive phlegm, and it was not seasonal, it was year-round.

By a careful process of elimination I worked out that sulphites were the problem, so I cut out processed foods and noticed my post-nasal drip improved a bit. Then 4 months ago I found out about Primal and cut out grains and milk, which immediately stopped my nightly bouts of acid reflux and had the added bonus of making me feel less bloated. My sniffles remained though. I've found various things that helped my sinuses, such as particular herbal teas that relieve symptoms, salt water spray up my nose, etc. I have also been avoiding nuts, taking activated charcoal, opening windows in all weathers and rigorously cleaning my house, thinking that it must be mold mycotoxins that were the problem. But I still can't breath properly, feel bunged up, and have unbearably itchy eyes all the time.

Now I seem to have developed a GI issue. I've never had much trouble with my guts before so this is out of the blue as well. Granted, it could be that I had food poisoning by coincidence, I've thought about that. But I've had food poisoning before and never felt such intense pain with it. One day I had carrot and parsnips for a starchy treat, and got diarrhea. Then one day I had a rare treat of a restaurant visit and had some gin and tonics and a few starchy things, I thought I'd be ok because I avoided beer and gluten but no, a very painful day of diarrhea the next day. The latest bout has been several days of severe pain and diarrhea after a weekend trip away where I had a fair amount of whisky and starchy foods. I thought it might be the alcohol, but then I had a few drinks on the last night of the trip and was fine the next day. I also thought it might be food poisoning since I vomited at one point on the worst day. I decided I will go to the doctor later in the week to find out if it's food poisoning, which would be a relief since it might just be a coincidence that I got a problem this a couple of times recently.

But now after feeling ok yesterday but not being very strict with food, I have pain and diarrhea again and I'm going to try cutting out FODMAPS as well. I'm prepared to keep at the elimination thing if it will make me feel better, but I can't help feeling as though the more foods I eliminate, the more problems I'm creating for myself. I feel like people think I'm bonkers when I turn down healthy foods. My fiance summed it up just now when he said 'You can't be allergic to broccoli, that's ridiculous!' which made me feel like I'm being neurotic about food. Going Primal was one thing I could deal with cos eating real foods made sense to me, but to be more and more restrictive is making my life so boring. I really thought my unhealthy emotional attachment to food was fixed by Primal eating, as I have lost weight and feel more open-minded about my food choices. I was never brainwashed by CW, I got obese because of depression and denial. But now I wonder whether I am tough enough to work through this problem, am I going to end up depressed again because food is making me ill?

So, my question is, is this how it happens? You develop a food intolerance and then the more stuff you cut out the more new intolerances you develop? Why has my immune system betrayed me to such an extent, and can it be 'fixed'? I've heard some people say their intolerance/allergy issues went away after a period of strict elimination, how does this work? Am I going to have to eat like an Inuit for a while, and if so, how long for?
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Start supplementing with l-glutamine. It will repair your gut lining. Start with 5,000mg. Do not go over 20,000mg in a day (20 grams).

I'd also search out a well-established holistic/integrative naturopathic doc for help. This sort of thing will make you crazy if you do it alone.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I stumbled across this site recently, the Gaps diet program for gut healing.
    Her background is the relationship between Gut health & mental health, but as we all know it impacts all aspects of our health.
    GAPS diet - the diet for helping with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and physical problems, such as autism, hyperactivity and attention deficit, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive diso
    I haven't looked at the whole site in detail, but did go through the diet page and it looks like a logical approach, but requires serious commitment.
    Basically the program is designed to go up to 2 years, starts with just liquid foods bone broths etc. and gradually adds foods until you are up to a full primal type diet.
    At this point you can start to reintroduce grains slowly if you want to, but she is not keen on them and sees them as the problem.

Even if you don't go down this particular path, I imagine you will need to do something along these lines.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post

I'd also search out a well-established holistic/integrative naturopathic doc for help. This sort of thing will make you crazy if you do it alone.
    ^^This!!!

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    That link about GAPS is very useful, thanks! I'm sure it will help me to recover from this particular illness and I shall continue doing something similar and hope it helps with my issues long term.

I've been mainly sticking to meat, eggs and many cups of ginger tea today, and I will be careful to introduce other stuff very gradually over the next few days. I've never had such acute diarrhea before so I'm assuming it's a nasty 'bug' on this occasion. Feel okay otherwise and not dehydrated.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post

CHRIS KRESSER can help you with healing your gut.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Dude. Vomiting? go to a doctor and rule out food poising, e coli etc. Go now!
    Then seek out a good holistic doc, preferably one whos down with the primal thing.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You know, it may be that some of these foods were always an issue but your body was always run at a basline "crap" level so it was low priority or not noticeable.

On the other hand, the food intolerances I have (sulphites, sodium nitrite, whatever the hell is in Dr Pepper that makes me itch) didn't develop until I was in my 30s. Sometimes it' just a coincidence that they show up when you start eating right.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

patski is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser is amazing! He's got loads of info on his site.

I find GAPS too restricting; I'm also not crazy on the emphasis on nuts.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I had great results healing my food allergies with GAPS. Like you, mine came seemingly out of nowhere and it was SO frustrating! The most important elements of GAPS are the broth and probiotics. Primal plus tons of these will definitely get you going in the right direction.

I will say GAPS got me back about 70%. Supplements and Chinese medicine is what got me to 95%. Life prevents me from getting back to 100% it seems.

Interesting facts I gleaned from Pubmed today: Acupuncture points ST36, CV 12 and PC6 rebuild gut mucosa, and so does the Chinese formula chai hu gui zhi tang. Cool, huh?

If at all possible, find an ND/L.Ac in your area or at minimum, a clinic with both. You will be better before no time. If costs or location truly prevent you, definitely read Chris Kresser's website, as it will help you a ton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast