Thread: Forum virus? page

lambchop is offline Senior Member

Forum virus?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else noticed how frequently posts are cropping up where someone quotes something else said earlier on a thread? If it is a virus, it is scary if you are being quoted in a heated thread ( saw in it the fat acceptance thread for example). Or is it spammers just trying to build up post numbers?

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    For me it looks like a clever spam bot. They usually only get up to7 or 9 posts (and then get deleted???) But there is always a new one

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Afaik it's just those pesky neighbood spammers/spam bot. Wish I had a fly swatter for them sometimes .

So the spambots make you look like you are saying something someone else said earlier? That is scary!

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    So the spambots make you look like you are saying something someone else said earlier? That is scary!
    Not exactly, it appears as some random member posting a comment that is a copy-pasta of something someone else said earlier. So for example a member called Joe Bloggs would post a comment saying "Afaik it's just those pesky neighbood spammers/spam bot. Wish I had a fly swatter for them sometimes ." But obviously that's a comment that I had made earlier on in the thread.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    I have also seen it happen with long standing members. When you read the lenghtier threads you pick up on it. For example, in the fat acceptance movement thread comments make on page 3 were repeated on page 30, one in particular I noticed was a legit forum member who I have seen post for years repeating word for word what someone else said, which incited a nasty response. I think both are happening. I have noticed it as well for a few weeks.
    Last edited by katemary; 06-26-2012 at 03:56 AM.

That's where I noticed it! And that is what I meant about it being scary, I am going to find an example

OK, found an example but have asked the second poster to confirm he didn't post it, before I point it out, just in case!

katemary is offline Senior Member
    My page references were just examples, I should clarify. I haven't gone back to check!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have also noticed, and saw it first in a thread that I started. So, I thought I would reply with quote, to ask the person their point for such a useless contribution to the discussion.

In the quoted text there are also some links. (I cancelled the reply then.) So, yes it looks like a spammer of some kind.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!