Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety related insomnia? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Anxiety related insomnia?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For 3 days now, I have only slept 4-6 hours a night. 3 nights is of course too short to conclude anything, but I see it as a real problem because I realize the cause of the insomnia. It's basically that I'm afraid I won't fall asleep so I get stressed and actually do not fall asleep. I had the same problem a year ago. I couldn't sleep for 2 nights or so and since then I got stressed everytime I went to bed. It passed after about 2 months. But now it's back again. The fear of my insomnia is the cause of my insomnia. It's kind of an unstoppable cycle.
    I realize there is very little to do about this, but any tips would be great. Thanks
    I have already managed to relax until the point where I almost fall asleep. But at the moment I'm drifting of I get excited because I'm happy I'm falling asleep. This excitement has me alert again
    Last edited by Gadsie; 06-26-2012 at 02:28 AM.
    Billie trips balls

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Things that have helped me:

Having a regular wake-up/get up time and stick to it everyday (with the ocassional exception for social life disrupting it).
    Having a regular bed time and sticking to it.
    If I'm having trouble getting to sleep and have been lying in bed awake for more than 15 minutes, then I get out of bed and do a quiet, non-stimulating activity, like reading a book. I keep the lights dim so I don't confuse my body clock that it’s time to wake up. Also I stay awayd screens of any kind—computers, TV, cell phones, iPads—as the type of light they emit is stimulating to the brain.

How to Sleep Better: Tips for Getting a Good Night&rsquo;s Sleep <- for some other tips and help

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
    Things that have helped me:

Having a regular wake-up/get up time and stick to it everyday (with the ocassional exception for social life disrupting it).
    Having a regular bed time and sticking to it.
    If I'm having trouble getting to sleep and have been lying in bed awake for more than 15 minutes, then I get out of bed and do a quiet, non-stimulating activity, like reading a book. I keep the lights dim so I don't confuse my body clock that it’s time to wake up. Also I stay awayd screens of any kind—computers, TV, cell phones, iPads—as the type of light they emit is stimulating to the brain.

How to Sleep Better: Tips for Getting a Good Night’s Sleep <- for some other tips and help
    Yeah I think the regular sleeping and waking time is very important. Sooner or later it forces your body to shut down. At least that's my theory
    Billie trips balls

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i read before sleeping because it makes my brain shut up and wind down
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Typical anxiety loop,
    Bouncing between the fear of not and the desire to fall asleep,
    Try this breathing exercise, when you go to sleep, focus on your breath, pick a single point to focus on, usually the sensations around your nostrils or upper lip on the exhale and inhale, just ignore everything else, just focus on this one place and observe those sensations, they will be faint, but you will notice them. As you do this all sorts of ideas and internal dialogue will take place in your mind and your little insomnia anxiety demons will jump in there trying to get your attention, first they will be negative, "you'll fail, this won't work", if you don't feed them, then they'll try another angle, "yes it's working, I'm falling asleep" don't pay any heed to them, just observe their machinations as they try to wind you up with fear & desire, just continue to observe your selected sensation & don't be distracted by other niggling sensations stick to the one point. You will often find you have gotten distracted and entangled in the emotional discourse in your head, don't stress, when you realise just go back to observing your selected sensation, it is critical you don't berrate yourself for getting distracted, reacting with emotions is what powers these little demons, if you deny them the emotional recognition they gradually wane, they can gain just as much strength whether your emotion is fear or desire, so just ignore them and continue observing your sensation.
    This is a meditation technique, and most people fall asleep very quickly in the sitting position, not to mention when they are lying down. Even if you don't fall asleep, your body and mind will both get rested because you will not be expending emotional energy in fighting the battles with your insomnia demons. When you remove your fear of the Insomnia then it will be gone and when you can meditate all night if you have to and be refreshed in the morning, it will be gone and you will sleep.
    Last edited by Omni; 06-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever find yourself constantly getting the feeling of falling as you doze off, and then you're up again? Happens to me ALL of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Typical anxiety loop,
    Bouncing between the fear of not and the desire to fall asleep,
    Try this breathing exercise, when you go to sleep, focus on your breath, pick a single point to focus on, usually the sensations around your nostrils or upper lip on the exhale and inhale, just ignore everything else, just focus on this one place and observe those sensations, they will be faint, but you will notice them. As you do this all sorts of ideas and internal dialogue will take place in your mind and your little insomnia anxiety demons will jump in there trying to get your attention, first they will be negative, "you'll fail, this won't work", if you don't feed them, then they'll try another angle, "yes it's working, I'm falling asleep" don't pay any heed to them, just observe their machinations as they try to wind you up with fear & desire, just continue to observe your selected sensation & don't be distracted by other niggling sensations stick to the one point. You will often find you have gotten distracted and entangled in the emotional discourse in your head, don't stress, when you realise just go back to observing your selected sensation, it is critical you don't berrate yourself for getting distracted, reacting with emotions is what powers these little demons, if you deny them the emotional recognition they gradually wane, they can gain just as much strength whether your emotion is fear or desire, so just ignore them and continue observing your sensation.
    This is a meditation technique, and most people fall asleep very quickly in the sitting position, not to mention when they are lying down. Even if you don't fall asleep, your body and mind will both get rested because you will not be expending emotional energy in fighting the battles with your insomnia demons. When you remove your fear of the Insomnia then it will be gone and when you can meditate all night if you have to and be refreshed in the morning, it will be gone and you will sleep.
    Thank you, will try it tonight
    Billie trips balls

I also read, that when you're stressed, your body requires more glycogen, and when there's non available your body produces adrenaline? Weird theory but I do often notice these adrenaline shots at night.
    I only eat about 10% carbs
    Billie trips balls

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Ghee is good for anxiety...maybe try a spoonful before bed to help calm you down.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    been there, done that as a teenager/early tween. good sleep hygiene helps, obv, and i've also found just having a stash of melatonin tablets around makes me less worried, because i know i have a last resort for if i really can't sleep, and knowing that means i don't get as stressed out about not being able to sleep. i don't often have to actually take them except maybe one or two nights at the beginning of an insomnia death spiral (they'll help stop the spiral happening)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast