Thread: Raising testosterone for women page

Pollyanna12 is offline Member

Raising testosterone for women

I got my bloods done this last week, and everything came back ok, except for an almost non-existent testosterone level. I am a post menopausal woman in my 50s and need some help on how I can raise this level. I seem to have all the symptoms of low testostone, and would like to deal with it naturally.

Any suggestions please, folks?

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyanna12 View Post
    I got my bloods done this last week, and everything came back ok, except for an almost non-existent testosterone level. I am a post menopausal woman in my 50s and need some I ahelp on how I can raise this level. I seem to have all the symptoms of low testostone, and would like to deal with it naturally.

Any suggestions please, folks?
    Go and buy Suzanne Somers book - "Ageless" - or she has another new one out at the moment but I haven't read it.

You need to find a doctor who knows what they are talking about re Bio-identical Hormone replacement. There is a huge amount of mis-information out there so you need to research it yourself and make the decision.

i basically walked into my doctors office and told them what I wanted and at what dose, because of my test results - I had read and informed myself and I honestly believe I knew more than she did.

Do not go on synthetic hormones - and you probably need to look at the different types of estrogens and progesterones - particularly for Osteoporosis and prevention of heart disease. If you keep your hormones balanced it can prevent cancer.

There is another book by Jonathan Wright which has a more research/medical angle - but suzannes is a good start.

I have only just turned 46, went through menopause at 42 and was tired of feeling depressed, unhappy and ready to rip my husbands head off... LOL. My doctor kept trying to give me anti-depressants but I knew that wasn't what was wrong with me.

My sister went through menopause at the same age as me - but she is 10 years older - and has quite serious bone thinning already in her mid-50's.

Once I started on bio-identicals (including a small amount of testosterone) my moods are better, I actually have a sex drive again, - I feel like "me" again.

For anyone else wanting to add to this thread - I would really encourage people to think before they post - it does no good to say - "I worked for a doctor and he said...." or "dr oz says" - its all hearsay - unless you have read the research for and against, you aren't qualified to comment.

I can't see how replacing natural hormones (which the body doesn't make anymore) can be harmful - as long as they are natural hormones, with molecules exactly the same as the ones our body used to make.

I hope this helps...

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    It amazes me that my doctor would push antidepressants on me, but then tell me natural hormones were dangerous... I actually think its outrageous - some doctors have no idea that Premarin is made from pregnant mares urine - useful for humans? I don't think so... just an excuse for a drug company to make some money - because they know full well that bio-identical hormones can't be patented therefore there is no money in them - and thats why your doctor wont know anything about them.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    It amazes me that my doctor would push antidepressants on me, but then tell me natural hormones were dangerous... I actually think its outrageous - some doctors have no idea that Premarin is made from pregnant mares urine - useful for humans? I don't think so... just an excuse for a drug company to make some money - because they know full well that bio-identical hormones can't be patented therefore there is no money in them - and thats why your doctor wont know anything about them.
    I have had really good results with my hormonal imbalance by taking an adaptogen called Maca root. It is an herbal that helps boost any imbalanced hormones in your body. I wasn't low in testosterone (estrogen dominance) but I know one herbal remedy that is also an adaptogen which is supposed to boost mainly testosterone and is called Tribulous. My husband takes it on occasion and I have tried it but stopped within a week or so as I could definately tell my testosterone levels were bumped to high. I was really testy and my libido was through the roof. I plan on reading Suzanne Summer's books as well. Though I don't know much about what she advocates. I do know that I will not take synthetic hormones when I begin menopause as I know there are alternatives. Google adaptogens to get more info on them. They are worth it. Maca and Tribulous are easily bought at health food stores for under $10 usually.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    + 1 for Maca.

Tribulus isn't that great. It raises progesterone levels so it's going to raise your estrogen too. If you're going to take Tribulus you should also be taking massive amounts of Vit C.

Increase your Zinc and Vitamin B. Those will help raise your testosterone levels as well. I would also suggest you get your Vitamin D levels checked.