Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH got his blood work results back after 6 weeks on primal - thoughts? page

FrankiG is offline Member

DH got his blood work results back after 6 weeks on primal - thoughts?

Primal Fuel
    DH was eating S.A.D. and had these cholesterol numbers back in March:

HDL - 36
    LDL - 157
    Triglycerides - 227

(Didn't get the VLDL or C-Reactive Protein)

He agreed to go primal 100% six weeks ago and has stuck to it faithfully (he does snack on nuts and dried fruit as he pleases, but eats all home-cooked paleo/primal food, no more fast food, no more gluten/grain/refined sugars).

Today he had his follow-up bloodwork results after 6 weeks of this changed diet.

HDL - 42
    LDL - 174
    Triglycerides - 199

I'm guessing that the LDL increased due to it converting to 'larger fluffier' particles, and the drop in Trig is excellent - though I'm not clear on how quickly cholesterol levels can change and how long it takes for them to approach healthy levels. I'm thinking that those numbers are pretty good, but his dr. told him he has to go on medication/it's probably genetic (those are so NOT 'genetic cholestrol levels' IMO) and when DH asked for some literature/research on different drugs the dr. read him the riot act about 'trusting the professionals'.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Six weeks is really too short of a time to tell much. You need more like 6 months. But it is good to see trig. coming down.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Trigs are coming down. Don't change a thing. Test again in a month.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    trigs have come down a lot in just 6 weeks. you need at least 6 months to make a big splash.

also, there is zero proof "high cholesterol" causes heart attacks.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

"Trigs have come down a lot"

That's what I wasn't sure of - what constitutes a 'big drop' for such a short time frame? DH is committed to this long-term, so I told him that in 6 months he should get it redrawn and I'd ask for the additional c-reactive and VLDL measurements. He's super annoyed at his dr. right now for not dialoging about the issue and instead just pushing drugs.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankiG View Post
    "Trigs have come down a lot"

That's what I wasn't sure of - what constitutes a 'big drop' for such a short time frame? DH is committed to this long-term, so I told him that in 6 months he should get it redrawn and I'd ask for the additional c-reactive and VLDL measurements. He's super annoyed at his dr. right now for not dialoging about the issue and instead just pushing drugs.
    Remind your husband that the doctor works for him and has no authority to make decisions regarding anyone's health - only suggestions.

I would also suggest your review what is know as the "primary prevention" literature when it comes to statins and share the data with your physician. There is disagreement, even in mainstream medicine, as to whether statins provide any benefit for people who have not already experienced a heart attack.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

This was a new dr. and I doubt DH will ever go back to him again - when someone insults his intelligence and pulls an 'authority trump card' it basically sends him fleeing for the hills .
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    The doctor sounds like a major jerk and your husband's results sound quite promising which is much more important. Did he get the VAP cholesterol test, that breaks down the results into more detail about the different components? Perhaps the new doctor will do that - apparently it gives a lot more information.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    The doctor sounds like a major jerk and your husband's results sound quite promising which is much more important. Did he get the VAP cholesterol test, that breaks down the results into more detail about the different components? Perhaps the new doctor will do that - apparently it gives a lot more information.
    When he goes (somewhere...yet to be determined as we need a new dr.) for follow-up bloodwork in 6 months I plan to request whatever detailed tests can be done - this was far more basic and the LDL was calculated, not direct (among other things lacking).
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trigs will drop very fast if you low carb, your husband is still eating too many carbs I would bet.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast