Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DH got his blood work results back after 6 weeks on primal - thoughts? page 2

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I hate to go against the current here but I'm gonna assume that you wanna hear the truth about the blood test. There is no real improvement: the drop in triglycerides is only 12% and is within a margin of error in calculating cholesterol components. And since your trigs are this high, there is no basis to conclude that your LDL is of the "large, bouncy" variety that's considered less harmful. In fact, they seem to be mostly of the smaller variety that's potentially atherogenic. There is not need to even do NMR or VAP tests since LDL particle size is highly correlated with triglycerides. Save your money and wait at least until the trigs fall to aroudn 100. So based on the blood test, it's totally understandable your doctor reacted as he did, as there is no real improvement and your TC and LDL in fact increased, while your HDL increase is also paltry and not meaningful.

This may not apply if you didn't fast before the test, as it could have increased the trig number. But if he didn't, he should stop snacking on dried fruits. Upon retesting, if he still has trigs at such levels, he may have pre-existing liver derangements which may bring along metabolic improvements from a Paleo diet ever slowly. However, 6 weeks is usually quick enough to reflect at least the change in the trig for most people, assuming carbs are restricted: that he failed to do that points to 2 things -- 1) his snacking is uncontrollable and is a problem and/or 2) he may be recovering from fatty liver.
    Last edited by choppedliver; 06-25-2012 at 09:48 PM.

FrankiG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    I hate to go against the current here but I'm gonna assume that you wanna hear the truth about the blood test. There is no real improvement: the drop in triglycerides is only 12% and is within a margin of error in calculating cholesterol components. And since your trigs are this high, there is no basis to conclude that your LDL is of the "large, bouncy" variety that's considered less harmful. In fact, they seem to be mostly of the smaller variety that's potentially atherogenic. There is not need to even do NMR or VAP tests since LDL particle size is highly correlated with triglycerides. Save your money and wait at least until the trigs fall to aroudn 100. So based on the blood test, it's totally understandable your doctor reacted as he did, as there is no real improvement and your TC and LDL in fact increased, while your HDL increase is also paltry and not meaningful.

This may not apply if you didn't fast before the test, as it could have increased the trig number. But if he didn't, he should stop snacking on dried fruits. Upon retesting, if he still has trigs at such levels, he may have pre-existing liver derangements which may bring along metabolic improvements from a Paleo diet ever slowly. However, 6 weeks is usually quick enough to reflect at least the change in the trig for most people, assuming carbs are restricted: that he failed to do that points to 2 things -- 1) his snacking is uncontrollable and is a problem and/or 2) he may be recovering from fatty liver.
    This is very helpful - thank you for your response! I should mention that he takes a medication that has a potential side effect of raising cholesterol, which is partly why we believe his is as high as it is. He did have liver numbers tested and those were well within a healthy/normal range. I can mention the not snacking on dried fruit to him.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    +1 choppedliver

I was thinking the same thing regarding the high trigs and saving your money and skip the VAP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12