Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: why mark? page 8

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me, it's not a matter of believing in any particular person, it's more about what makes logical sense AND how does eating a certain way make me feel.

I've flirted with this way of eating ever since high school, when my boyfriend's father (a holistic nutrtionist) promoted salmon and raw milk and grassfed meats...however, a sugar addiction and a history of binge-eating kept me eating a ton of crap that I knew wasn't good for me.

I fully-embraced this way of eating to deal with my MS; in 2 years I've not had one new brain lesion or physical symptom. I take that to mean that whatever I'm doing with my diet is working. However, I still have fatigue, so I'm trying to figure out how to make changes that are still compatible with the 'what makes sense' part to improve the 'how I'm feeling' part. This has meant challenging some of my pre-conceived notions of 'what makes sense', meaning that maybe it's okay to have some more cane sugar in my diet because it raises my too-low blood presure and pulse and might possibly lead me to feeling more energized. If I keep the sugar in moderation, and combine it with a healthy diet, and I actually feel significantly better, I think that's more important than holding onto the idea that being a 'fat burning machine' as Mark promotes is the best way to be.

I think he's a smart guy, a good writer, and a great marketer, but it doesn't mean his word is gospel. He's not coming from a place of chronic disease, or even obesity. He was an already fit, active guy who made some improvements. I like to read his posts because I think he does an excellent job scouring for legitimate scientific sources, and freely admits when he doesn't know the answer to something, but I think that anything he claims can, and should be challenged, the same with anybody else.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    "They run triathlons and rock climb and hike and bike and are phenomenally fit and healthy."
    How old you all are? Were their mothers vegan? Was their childhood vegan? Is it possible that it takes some time for effects of a wrong diet?

I am older than graduate students here and I am not primal. I've made my adjustments - dropping beloved bakery stuff, eliminating vegetable oils, adding hated vegetables, reducing grains and upgrading the quality of food I eat - and I am planning to stop here. I do eat some grains (not much) and I do eat dairy - butter, yogurt and of course, of course cheeses.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissusN View Post
    Why worry so much? I'm not a religious person, but just trying to be confident that I will go when my time comes, has helped me a lot to let go of the constant worrying and episodes of anxiety about (sudden) death. Of course taking good care of your body makes life better, more fun and probably longer, but no diet or way of eating could possibly be a 100 % insurance against heart-attacks or cancer, or fate for that matter.
    The problem isn't sudden death. What I'm trying to avoid is the long, drawn out, painful and slow death. It took my dad 17 years from diagnosis to death from Parkinson's, and it was not pretty.

But I absolutely agree that you can only do the best that you can do and life will still happen anyway. You could do everything perfectly, have no fun because of it, and STILL end up with something awful. So you might as well do a reasonably good job at staying healthy and make sure you have some fun while you're still here among the living.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    RitaRose: You ate an entire cake in one day? hahahahahha That's just hilarious. You must have been on some hyped up sugar rush. Funny as heck!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Live Eat Die The end. Listen to your body and do what feels 'right' for you.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

I did something similar yesterday. Bought Haagen Dazs (ate a lot of it) and Coke (drank a lot). Was happy for an hour. Then didn't feel so great (just the quantity of it!). But I think an occasional binge is fine.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    RitaRose: You ate an entire cake in one day? hahahahahha That's just hilarious. You must have been on some hyped up sugar rush. Funny as heck!
    huh? I can't tell if this is trying to be funny or just rude and insulting. i've definitely eaten an entire cake in one day...in one sitting. In fact, I've binged on way more than that, and I can tell you that there was nothing hilarious about it.

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    What makes Mark right? Who says he is? Who knows what is 'right'? I know that for me 40+ years of doing it other ways was definitely wrong. 1 year of doing it mostly Mark's way has been the most right I've experienced. Maybe there is an even better way out there somewhere. It is my great hope that within a few years the way I live my life will be my own way, and not go by any particular label. For now, I will stick with what works for me.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

johnybarkerr is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I do not just automatically trust mark. I've seen what he was saying, it is plausible. I know I can eat a cake (more than one, frankly), but I can only eat so much straight butter. You know, maybe I can eat a whole stick, if I really wanted to, but I eat an entire cake the day before.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast