Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: why mark? page 5

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Is paleo lifestyle only practiced in the United States? If so, then no wonder your perspective is limited to that culture alone. And when you say America are you referring to geographical location or political?
    These arguments and debates where there are such large swooping generalizations and are based on such limited cultures without broader global context are prove to me that I can't take any of this "evidence" seriously.
    Followed by:

Please show the relevance of my culture to this conversation.
    Seriously? Bitch about how they're not taking culture into account, then say your culture doesn't matter? You're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Just like the previous poster, did the right thing by putting me on ignore as they have no answers to my questions and any evidence to support their stance.
    (Emphasis added)

That's a bit of an assumption. There are quite a few reasons people would put you on ignore, not the least of which are that you are never satisfied with a good answer, have been asking the same questions for months (or more), even after having obtained good answers from people with way more patience than I have, and you're getting to be annoying as crap because of the previously addressed reasons.

Those are all pretty good reasons to put you on ignore, but I guess you can stick with thinking they're cowering in a corner after feeling threatened by your obviously superior intellect.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    I do sort of agree with the blood work thing, there are an awful lot of people remarking on how high their cholesteral is. My freinds hubby just got rushed into hospital on Saturday with a heart attack due to high cholesteral.

Also I do find that some people on here can be very aggresive at times, like when I said I did not eat meat for instance, and to call someone a bitch is really uncalled for.

I think it is true that whatever suits your body is the best nutrition.

If some people want to believe every word Mark says then that is up to them, me peronally I learned a lot from this site but am sceptical about some things.

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    I don't have to trust what Mark says, I believe in evolution and science, if you do too I can't see where you could have any issues with this lifestyle / diet. Just ask any anthropologist about how man generally lived and ate 20,000 years ago and he will tell you the same things. Ask any evolutionary scientist if man has had time to fully adapt to grains (especially corn) and he'll tell you "no". What more could someone want?

However, if you don't believe in evolution I recommend asking god (what ever god you happen to believe it) and just do what ever he says.

I just listen to Mark because he helps me live this life style easier (and because he's cool).

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    heart attack due to high cholesteral.
    Not due to, but associated with. And only loosely. People who get cut a lot wear a lot of band-aids. Therefore, wearing band-aids causes cuts. Pretty obvious, huh? And even then, you get people with cuts and no band-aids, and band-aids with no cuts. Same for cholesterol. At best, it might be an indicator of inflammatory disease in the body. Trying to alter cholesterol to prevent heart disease is like changing the shape of the band-aid to reduce the severity of a cut. Makes no sense at all.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    high cholesterol + high blood sugar = heart attack
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I dont have issues with anyone lifestyle or diet. All I am saying is that just because someone asks questions as to wether this is truly the way to eat there is really no need to be nasty. For every argument for there will be one against, but argueing is not the way. People have their own opinions but for some on this board if they dont match theirs then it must be wrong.

[QUOTE=Knifegill;882887]Not due to, but associated with. And only loosely. QUOTE]

Who says this is true. This is what I mean! All I am saying is that there are a lot of high coleseral levels on this forum, and I am quickly proved wrong.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    This is what I mean! All I am saying is that there are a lot of high coleseral levels on this forum, and I am quickly proved wrong.
    It's definitely not true when it comes to women. Higher cholesterol in women is directly correlated with LOWER mortality. That's from this study:

Is the use of cholesterol in mortality ris... [J Eval Clin Pract. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

As far as men, there is more of a sweet spot (see the study for where that is). Many cardiologists are starting to realize that the people coming in with heart attacks don't always have high cholesterol. I'm trying to think of the study (they just talked about it on a podcast I was listening to, but I've been hearing it for years) but many actually have cholesterol levels that are too low and most have "acceptable" levels.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    I dont have issues with anyone lifestyle or diet. All I am saying is that just because someone asks questions as to wether this is truly the way to eat there is really no need to be nasty. For every argument for there will be one against, but argueing is not the way. People have their own opinions but for some on this board if they dont match theirs then it must be wrong.
    Interesting I did a quick scan of the thread and responses to the OP were measured and succinct. The problems came in response to known passive/aggresive troll.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To the OP (and anybody else who cares). I enjoy Mark's take on the paleo/primal/ancestral diet because he writes well and clearly. He does include links to research if you read his posts. He's not the be-all-end-all for me however, and he wasn't the one whose writings convinced me to change my diet. The ones who convinced me were actually Dr. Eades' and Dr. Eenfeldt (see his video partway down this page. This was what pushed me over the edge.) LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com

If you would like to know some of the research I have enjoyed reading as I decided to make a decision to eat this way, check out the research listed on Loren Cordain's website at Published Research | The Paleo Diet.

Also, read some of the insightful if somewhat older posts on Dr. Eades' blog at The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.. Dr Mike is really good at dissecting cholesterol research as well as other research.

I have found that this blogger helps make sense of the research in a very intelligent and clear way. Health Correlator

This blog also is very good at taking research and digesting it into readable (and fairly entertaining) posts. GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo

I do not read this blog, but others do. Hyperlipid

This is another blog people comment on often that I personally do not read. Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life

If you are interested in a raw food, former vegan point of view, this blog is very good. She's really good at dissecting the research and not afraid to be critical about some of Paleo's sacred cows. Raw Food SOS

Yes, these are blogs, but these folks read the research, post the relevant graphs, dissect the meaningful points, and if the conclusions were faulty they point that out. I don't have a medical school or scientific education so I trust that these folks are doing well to help me understand. This is grass-roots knowledge sharing. None of these people make money off me.

Finally, one reason I became convinced to try this was that CW is always telling you to eat more vegetables, fruits and lean meats and that's the majority of what paleo (and variations on it) recommend. I read Michael Pollan who recommended eating real food, too, and I found his books to be convincing. Heck, fruit and vegetables are the foundation of the vegan and vegetarian diets. Even the first lady is trying to get people to eat more vegetables. Even Dr. Oz wants you to eat more vegetables. The no grains and legumes thing seemed odd to me at first, too, but since I felt I needed the low carb thing I went for it to see if it would work.

That it worked for what I hoped it would work for and exceeded my expectations was completely unexpected.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast