Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: why mark? page 4

Primal Fuel
    I follow Mark in hopes of him telling me about his hair care products.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    oh also, to the OP:
    Find a doctor friend and ask how much research they've done. The fields are VERY VERY different. Practicing doctors essentially implement policy; they don't go out and collect data from controlled experiments. (They might collect retroactive data and give it to research scientists and statisticians, but that's more like sociology than biochemistry. The two ways of operating are not the same standard.) A really, truly smart doctor will admit what they don't know, but that's not really kosher to do in front of 95% of patients because they want the reassurance of thinking their practitioner is confident in their advice.

I got into med school and decided not to go in part because that principle really annoyed me... I would rather question things and design experiments to answer my questions than parrot accepted policy. It was a failing of mine, because I'd have a shade more income by now if I hadn't made that decision.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Why Mark? The problems associated with grains are very will documented just check out the whole wheat board and the studies they post they show very clearly how bad grains are.
    Why Mark? Without protein you die. Without fat you die? Without carbs you can keep going. I am not advocating not eating your vegetables but it seems madness that the government recommends getting most of our calories from carbs including a huge portion of grains.
    Why Mark? Not a scientific study but all I have to do is walk out my door and I can see how a low fat high grain diet is not working.

From the thread
    The men who made us fat
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    I would also wish that basic education would include more market economics, because I have no fucking clue how that works and it doesn't seem like the market economists do very well at it either.
    I'm about to tip my anarcho-capitalist hand here.... but do yourself a favor and learn the truth Paul Krugman refuses to acknowledge publicly. An "Introduction to Austrian Economics" is the course for you, video and audio lectures with reference materials. The "Western Civilization" lectures are badass as well.

Liberty Classroom | The history and economics they didn't teach you.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    i follow mark in hopes of him telling me about his hair care products.
    +1000 haha
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Kathy, I have to wonder why you're even on this forum. The word trolling comes to mind. We're not just a bunch of idiots, most of us are doing this because it works for us. Most of us have spent many years following exactly what the government's recommendations are regarding how to eat, and it's gotten us nowhere. At this point, I don't even think you're really interested in understanding why we choose to eat this way, you're just here to pick a fight. So, please, go find another forum to be a troll on.

isbolick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Resorting to ad-hominem, that's a proof of intelligence.
    Being threatened by someone else's eating and lifestyle choices doesn't exactly ring of brilliance, either, honey.

For you MUST be threatened by our primal lifestyle to care enough to spend this much time attempting to cast us as the naive fools falling for...I dunno, I stopped reading your stuff as soon as I realized what your deal was.

Be FREE, Kathy!! Be FREE to live however you choose that doesn't hurt another. And allow us the same courtesy.

isbolick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Kathy, I have to wonder why you're even on this forum. The word trolling comes to mind. We're not just a bunch of idiots, most of us are doing this because it works for us. Most of us have spent many years following exactly what the government's recommendations are regarding how to eat, and it's gotten us nowhere. At this point, I don't even think you're really interested in understanding why we choose to eat this way, you're just here to pick a fight. So, please, go find another forum to be a troll on.
    While it is a form of trolling, I think Kathy has a stake in proving paleo wrong. I imagine Kathy either tried Paleo and for whatever reason it didn't work for her or she adheres to another lifestyle, like vegan. She has a dog in this fight, you see. If paleo works, then maybe that means that she has made a wrong choice. Therefore, she has to attack the primal lifestyle to affirm her own.

I know, I know...given her obvious level of superiority, it is hard to believe that Kathy could have made a mistake, but that's my theory.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikezentz View Post
    I would actually love to see some of the pro-paleo/primal medical research. There's got to be some out there.
    It'll cost but go here and buy this webinar Login OPT: The Science of Nutrition. The lecturer is Matt Lalonde PhD biochemist from Harvard.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    I must admit, I couldn't care less about Grok. Like you, I don't believe it's possible to know to any degree of accuracy what all Groks over tens of thousands of years and thousands of square miles of different habitats and climates ate or didn't eat and in what proportions. I do not consider anyone's speculation about what our remote ancestors did to be evidence about what is good for us now.
    I think Mat Lalonde really summed up what I feel about the "what did Grok/paleo man eat?" question.

What Science Really Says About the Paleo Diet – With Mat Lalonde

....itís just so simple to ridicule the whole caveman argument that I wanted to go beyond that, I wanted to give people a little bit more to think about, so if you are on a paleo diet, or what I prefer to say actually, because thereís really no such thing as a paleo diet. The foods arenít available anymore. You can try to mimic it. Thatís the best you can do. But a diet thatís meat, vegetables, tubers, and fruits. Thatís what I call it. Typical arguments for this will go like this: Our ancestors and modern hunter-gatherers consumed a diet that was mostly devoid of grains, legumes, and dairy, and they were virtually free of diseases of civilization. People then make the invalid inference that consuming a diet mostly devoid of grains, legumes, and dairy will thus allow us to be free of diseases of civilization.

...So observational epidemiology is great for formulating hypotheses and asking questions, but it doesnít answer any questions.
    That's from the beginning of the podcast, but really? The whole thing is worth listening to.

Paleo is a great starting point for generating theories on what is a better and healthier way to eat. I eliminated grains from my diet. I felt better. I eliminated legumes. I felt better. I eliminate most dairy. I felt better. Raw cheese, cream, and butter still works for me. I don't really care what paleo man ate. But I do look to it to try and figure out if I should adjust what I'm eating. I am my own experiment.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast