Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Leptin reset, BAB---what are these? page

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Posts
    41

    Leptin reset, BAB---what are these?

    Can someone explain to me what LR and BAB are? I haven't read PB yet; just ordered it. I'm reading THE PALEO SOLUTION at the moment. Today is about the 10th day of eating Primal; it's also the first day that I haven't been ravenous all day. I'm turning into a meat-eating fool!

  2. #2
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    BAB= Big Ass Breakfast.

    It is advocated by Jack Kruse on the leptin reset thread and on his website. Specifically 50 grams or more of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Some people have found it to be very helpful in controlling craving s and binge overeating and some people have found it to be a crock. YMMV.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Posts
    41

    Kruse's leptin reset thread and website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    BAB= Big Ass Breakfast.

    It is advocated by Jack Kruse on the leptin reset thread and on his website. Specifically 50 grams or more of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Some people have found it to be very helpful in controlling craving s and binge overeating and some people have found it to be a crock. YMMV.
    Where can I find Kruse's website and/or the thread on the leptin reset? I'd like to read more about this.

    Thanks, Paleobird!

  4. #4
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Just be warned. It is a monster thread, upwards of 2000 pages and not all of it is really well informed.

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

    Personally, I think there is some merit to Kruse's plan but I'm not yet convinced it works for the reasons he says it works. The plan is basically eat a big protein rich breakfast. Eat only at meals, no snacking ever. And keep the carbs low. That is pretty sensible advice. So is this a magical resetting of your leptin receptors or just some basic common sense? You decide. But don't stay up all night reading that thread.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Posts
    41
    Thank you, Paleobird! I might skip the reading and just go straight for the BAB and see if it works for me.

  6. #6
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    The more space you can put between your meals the better. This is the idea behind IFing. But every IF guru seems to think that the best meal to skip is breakfast. This works for some people but I think a lot of people powering through the morning on coffee alone are setting themselves up for bingeing out on workplace cookies and not so healthy lunch options later.

    I found that when I did the BAB, I was able to skip lunch entirely and pare my day down to just two meals. It does shut off the hunger bells and keep them off for quite a while.

    I wish you well. Drop by my journal sometime and keep me posted on how it works out for you.

  7. #7
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    i'll comment on this, cause this here's amurikah, and i can!

    if you're looking to lose weight, please focus on food. movement and strength training after that. 'resetting' your leptin, and growing more brown fat should be about the last thing you think of, and will likely prove a distraction.

    but again, this being the US of A, you can do whatever you like!

  8. #8
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i'll comment on this, cause this here's amurikah, and i can!

    if you're looking to lose weight, please focus on food. movement and strength training after that. 'resetting' your leptin, and growing more brown fat should be about the last thing you think of, and will likely prove a distraction.

    but again, this being the US of A, you can do whatever you like!
    Yeah but all that good healthy food would get so boring if it weren't for painting iodine on your privates and having an ice bath.

  9. #9
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah but all that good healthy food would get so boring if it weren't for painting iodine on your privates and having an ice bath.
    damn... how can i counter that?!

  10. #10
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To the OP who is probably completely baffled by now...........

    Dr. Kruse has been (and still is by some) revered as a god but he is also a raging narcissist with a lot of questionable but learned sounding pseudo-science to support what is basically a common sense weight loss program. And then he goes and throws in the ice baths just to be dramatic. He writes with the principle, "if you can't dazzle then with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit".

    Some people are starting to see him as a bit of a joke.

    That doesn't mean that a sensible breakfast won't help, just that I didn't need Jack Kruse to invent reasons why it might. My grandmother told me decades ago that to lose weight I should eat a good breakfast, not eat bread and potatoes, and never snack outside of meals. Grandma wasn't a neurosurgeon but she could write much more intelligibly than Dr. Kruse ever will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •