Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leptin reset, BAB---what are these? page 2

Emme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What I got out of reading this thread is that the Leptin Reset is probably mostly BS...but eating a big breakfast w/in 30 minutes of rising (let's say protein grams of between 28 to 42, or 4 to 6 oz) would be a good way to stave off cravings and bingeing on carbs. Another post suggests exposing your eyes (retina) to sunlight for 1 minute when you first get up in the morning. This resets cortisol levels. Note that I'm not eating the 50 to 70+ grams protein Dr Kruse says to eat because almost everyone says it's too much for weight loss, and that it's not necessary to eat that much protein, just a reasonable amount. I'm a 65 y/o female who has had a problem with carbs my entire life! Having a real challenge with bingeing... hoping Leptin Reset would be the answer. Have started this way of eating many times, it's lasted for maybe a month, and then the carb cravings have taken me off the deep end. But...I did start eating within 30 minutes of arising as the Leptin Reset states, and yesterday, it made a HUGE difference in my hunger levels all day. Amazing given the strong cravings of late. No, I don't plan on following the Leptin Reset to the letter, but am taking what I think I need to stop the cravings, and am moving forward with a primal plan. At this point, I will do almost anything to get on track with food and with paleo/primal/low carb/healthy carb. I know my body...it just cannot tolerate carbs well at all. Sheepishly admitting...the junk carbs are my biggest downfall. Heroin. No surprises there.
    Last edited by Emme; 04-22-2013 at 07:45 AM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    As someone who did follow the LR protocol for about 9 weeks, I can say that it does work. I did lose 20 pounds during that time. You will eat progressively less protein at breakfast. IF was way easy to do and it does kill cravings.
    Georgette

Thanks! Sorry, I'm a newbie...what does IF stand for? Oh...I see it here...it's the Intermittent Fasting. Posting this term in case someone else doesn't know. Mark does explain IF in one of his discussions.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions about how they have gotten bingeing under control, or any other suggestions, it would be greately appreciated.
    Last edited by Emme; 04-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Emme;1167529

If anyone would like to offer suggestions about how they have gotten bingeing under control, or any other suggestions, it would be greately appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Eat plenty of food! Make good choices and fill up, that is how you control bingeing. if you are new to PB, and depending on how heavy processed foods/sugar consumption you are used to, it may take a while to shake the sugar/carb cravings....just eat a lot and stay away from the crap. Your body will settle into the routine in short order.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Whatever you do, don't read Kruse's own website. It's total gibberish.

Also, the Kruse protocol also involves circadian rhythm things such as getting daytime sunlight and not staying up late looking at blue light (screens and monitors). These are primal things as well.

I think that for many people, a big high protein breakfast is a huge help in controlling the desire to snack and can solve all that "I really want some bread/muffins/cookies/candy" head talk that a lot of people have. It helped me and I hadn't even heard of Kruse when it helped me.

The thing is, people get into a rut of eating sweet things for breakfast and don't realize that training yourself to eat something more like dinner for breakfast actually makes you feel good. Instead they get caught up in thinking breakfast can only be either a) the stuff they like and can't have anymore, b) eggs and bacon or c) greek yogurt smoothies. Well, breakfast can be dinner.

Try it and see if you really are the weak-willed glutton for pastries you think you are. I always thought I had a personal failing and when I realized I didn't, I was pretty mad at myself and the world for making me feel like I was a weak-willed glutton for so many decades.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Thanks, sbhikes!

I still have trouble with binges. I've become an emotional eater since my mom died 6 years ago and I can't seem to shake it. I only do it when stressed. I thought that LR would help then I thought that EMF would work, but none of it has. It comes down to figuring out how to fix your head. Once that's complete, then you can worry about the body. The only thing I know at this point is that I don't tolerate grains well at all period. I may never fix my head at this point in my life but if I can just work on feeding it better, that would help something out.
    Georgette

Now thanks to your posts I believe I can implement your strategies and give this another shot. BAB (Big Assed Breakfast), not under eating, IF (Intermittent Fasting)... that's my focus now. I did read a story about a woman from - I think it was Barbados...who just kept plugging along...she even kept going through weight plateaus...and has eventually reached a very good place with her weight. She looks great. The forum user stories with photos are a great way to view the changes our bodies go through while our body adjusts to Paleo/Prime. It takes patience and the results are worth it.

I wonder if we tend to be so impatient that we become frustrated much too early in this process...as the gal from Barbados shows that we need to keep moving forward and not pay so much attention to the short term, keeping our eyes on the goal. My patience/frustration tolerance is pretty low. Need to work on that one.

Georgette/geostump...the behavior/emotional part is tricky as I know only too well. So sorry about your mom. I am currently working with a coach doing Cognitive Behavior Therapy or CBT to change some behaviors, including my behavior with food. Just starting, but really think if I do all my homework, this will work with changing a lot.
    Last edited by Emme; 04-23-2013 at 05:58 AM.

suse1023 is offline Junior Member
    huh, great reading, thanks folks.
    I too have been exploring the kruse thing and while many mornings a bab would be great, most mornings a large decaf with an ounce of cream keeps me sated until lunchtime.
    I intend to listen to my body, if I wake up ravenous I feed it--and look at the previous day's food to see if there's a connection.
    same goes for if I wake up still feeling full--that day i'll have my coffee and a huge salad for dinner with protein.

I understand it's not as much when as what I eat--duh--and as another poster pointed out simple carbs are as addictive as heroin.

thanks for helping me to understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Emme View Post
    Georgette/geostump...the behavior/emotional part is tricky as I know only too well. So sorry about your mom. I am currently working with a coach doing Cognitive Behavior Therapy or CBT to change some behaviors, including my behavior with food. Just starting, but really think if I do all my homework, this will work with changing a lot.
    I've always been one that with the slightest bit of stress eating just gets really bad for me. I wish that I could afford therapy to see if it would work for me, but I couldn't budget it in no matter how hard I try. I just keep plugging along until something stressful hits and then the whole cycle starts over again.
    Georgette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12