Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have been standing constantly since I woke up page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

I have been standing constantly since I woke up

I work at an office where it's not really possible for me to get a standing desk and as such, I end up having to sit for most of my day. It's a shame, but there's not much I can do about it.

However, today, due to uncounted on circumstances, I have been standing constantly since the moment I awoke.

I awoke at 7:15 AM and it is now 2:33 PM. That is currently 7 hours, 18 minutes of constant standing.

When I thought of that, I was reminded of Mark's post on the health benefits and the importance of standing.

So, here's my primal experiment:

How long can I go standing before some circumstance forces me to sit and/or lay down? What can I do to avoid needing to sit down? When do I reach that state of utter exhaustion in my legs that I just HAVE to sit down? Do I feel better or worse after I end the experiment?

Who wants to try this one with me?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nice. I would try it today, but I have to be somewhat lazy on my days off because of how much I do on my work week. So maybe when I get back to work I'll have a go at it. My shift is ten hours, and I'm pretty sure I can stand the whole thing, since I walk all the time from room to room anyway.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... I'm interested. I just wonder if I have the stamina.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Hmmm... I'm interested. I just wonder if I have the stamina.
    It's not about having lots of stamina, it's about just seeing how much you have. It could be 20 hours, it could be 20 minutes, just test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Nice. I would try it today, but I have to be somewhat lazy on my days off because of how much I do on my work week. So maybe when I get back to work I'll have a go at it. My shift is ten hours, and I'm pretty sure I can stand the whole thing, since I walk all the time from room to room anyway.
    You can do your shift, but can you go BEYOND that? If so, how much?

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    I just re-read his Marks post on standing: Standing at Work | Mark's Daily Apple

Static standing, he says, is like sitting. It leads to tired legs, swollen feet, etc. This is where I would fail. I can stand most of my day as long as I am moving. But once I stand still for too long, like at a computer, I want to drop and plop. So, fixes for that?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I tried working standing and in the end, it didn't work. It's just not comfortable.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lewis is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    So, here's my primal experiment:

How long can I go standing before some circumstance forces me to sit and/or lay down? What can I do to avoid needing to sit down? When do I reach that state of utter exhaustion in my legs that I just HAVE to sit down? Do I feel better or worse after I end the experiment?
    I guess it'd be interesting to try, but I'd be surprised if you didn't feel worse.

The healthy thing really is to be in movement -- with rests in between. Sure, sitting isn't ideal for special reasons. (Or sitting in a chair; sitting on your hams (i.e. squatting) is OK.) But it's not only that: maintaining any posture for an extended period of time is not going to be good. Soldiers on ceremonial duties wiggle their toes in their boots so as not to actually pass out.

Ideally, one would spend part of the time standing, part sitting in a squat (and/or on a high stool, which allows a more open angle at the hip than a chair), a few minutes a couple of times a day lying down (to allow your spine to return to its full length) and would do plenty of walking and other activities in between.

I guess another alternative would be kneeling, as in Japanese society in the old days. Or there's kneeling with the assistance of a meditation stool:

meditation stool - Google Search

I can't remember those ever being mentioned on the boards here anywhere, but that's another interesting seating option.

It's a matter of changing posture and of moving.

Primal Man would certainly mix and match a bit. People living like that would do plenty of walking around, fetching and carrying water and fuel, paying visits, looking for food, and so on. When not active they'd spend a fair amount of time just lounging around their living area, chatting, repairing weapons, making things, playing music.

Wild animals spend quite a lot of time just lying around -- so do domestic cats, if you watch them. People in modern society are perhaps rather odd. Does any other animal in the whole of creation spend much of the time neither properly active nor just resting?

So I'm in favor of mixed postures and movement. But, sure, "how long can I stand?" would be an interesting experiment.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think this is where the old saying, a change is as good as a rest, would come into play. Taking a break from standing by squatting, walking, or doing that stretch where you kneel on the floor, then lower your rear to your heels and put your hands on the floor over your head(sorry, the name is escaping me at the moment), would probably make it possible to keep standing some more.
    Let us know how your standing day went, okay? It is always good to hear the end of the experiment, not just the enthusiastic start. (Or middle, in your case!)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    But for a one-day experiment, it sounds like fun. 10 hours is the longest I can go, because I have to sleep and eat, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast