Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lipid profiles before and after primal diet page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Question for the thread....Do you all get checked frequently for any particular reason? I mean looking at some of your profiles you seem to be a fairly young group and in good shape. Most of you even state that you understand that your cholesterol provides limited data about health at best.

I really don't think I'll ever have my cholesterol evaluated. If its low I'll eat primal and not take statins.....If its high I'll eat primal and not take statins. Probably helps that I don't employ an MD.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I got my most recent check to assuage my mother, who was paranoid that eating primally was begging for a heart attack.

I'll probably get another next year to see how much I can manipulate my trigs down and HDL up in that time.

You're right though. If you have bad cholesterol, what are you going to do? Keep eating healthy foods (we just differ from the conventional establishment regarding what constitutes healthy foods).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I get checked regularly because I have a strong family history of both heart disease and diabetes.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    Sorry in advance for the long post, but this is an extremely timely post for me.

A few weeks back I went to my internist for my annual check-up. Against my better judgment, I had blood drawn for the standard lipid profile. Sure enough, he called a few days later saying he had called in a statin prescription (total 272, LDL 163 calculated, HDL 98, trig 53). I told him no thanks, he said that I’d be sorry.

Following a link from a post on this forum I read through all of Peter Attia’s blog posts on cholesterol. He suggested an NMR Lipoprofile test to directly measure LDL-P. I hate to put words in his mouth, but it seems to me that he believes LDL-P is a good marker for risk. I had blood drawn for that test to give me more info.

I got my results yesterday and am quite frankly pretty freaked out. MY LDL-P is 1611 nmol/L which is in the “High” risk category. Directly measured LDL-C 181, HDL 93, trig 41. These results were about ten days from the standard results and were that different. Tells me how much things can change from day to day.

I’ve been eating “primally” for over two years now. I’m 41, active, lean, strong, have a good sex life, sleep fairly well. I want to believe I’ve been doing the right things for my long term health, but am honestly concerned this may not be the road for me. I have a three y/o daughter who I badly want to see grow up. I’ve never had weight issues; I had been an “endurance” athlete before going Primal and was in “good” shape with a lot of carb loads, chronis cardio etc.

I don’t have exact lipid profiles pre-Primal, but remember the total was under 200 so I never worried any more about the other numbers.

I get my numbers tested somewhat regularly partially out of “habit” and out of curiosity.

My Dad died in February from heart related problems. Not a heart attack, but an irregular heart beat. What is odd is that his cholesterol was through the floor (below 140 total). So I’m really lost and trying to get some confidence in what I should do going forward. He was on med.s for the irregular heart beat, but no statins. I’m sure the meds he was on affected his cholesterol level in some degree.

I tend to eat a lot of grass fed steaks, “cage-free” eggs, bacon, pork sausage, wild caught salmon, salads, avacados, sweet potatoes and other things I consider clean and healthy. I vary occasionally eat corn tortillas when we go out for Tex-Mex, but I’m failry strict on the Primal diet.

I’m to the point of attempting to find ways to lower my LDL-P through diet, staying Primal. I’m not to the point of agreeing to take statins. I’m honestly struggling quite a bit.

Thank you all for sharing your information; I think we can all learn from one another.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    2 years before primal
    Total Cholesterol (mg/dl) 235.8
    Triglycerides (mg/dl) 212.6
    HDL (mg/dl) 91.2
    LDL (mg/dl) 154.7
    Are these numbers correct? TC should be 287 is the other numbers are right.

ETA or was the LDL direct measure?

Quote Originally Posted by fishin-frog View Post
    I got my results yesterday and am quite frankly pretty freaked out. MY LDL-P is 1611 nmol/L which is in the “High” risk category. Directly measured LDL-C 181, HDL 93, trig 41. These results were about ten days from the standard results and were that different. Tells me how much things can change from day to day.
    I'm in practically the same boat, but my total is even higher (300) and HDL is a little lower. Also, my LDL-P came back as over 2000. But, from what I've heard, cholesterol tests are not very precise. In a podcast with Chris Masterjohn, he mentioned that your results can vary by 30 points just due to error, I think. I'm pretty sure it was here in the second (of three) podcast: Chris Masterjohn on cholesterol &#038; heart disease (part 2)

Also, Mark posted about the inaccuracy of NMR and VAP tests: How to Interpret Advanced Cholesterol Test Results | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

My take is that it's just a number and no causative links have been established. Like Masterjohn says, numbers well outside the "normal" range can indicate an underlying pathology. My take on statins is that they are just treating a number, not the underlying pathology (if there is one). Also, give this a read and you will never want to take a statin:
    How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Looks like based on the pattern here that we are gradually killing ourselves.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Why Did My Cholesterol Go Up After Going Primal? | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

Looks like Mark is reading our minds... or this thread, haha.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you just eating fish, no fish oil? How many times a week do you eat fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I thank my high fish consumption for my HDL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast