Thread: Type 1 diabetes suggestions page

Chris Loughrey is offline Junior Member

Type 1 diabetes suggestions

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

New to the forum so I'll drop a little background first. I have type 1 diabetes and I'm looking for some help with integrating the paleo diet.

I currently eat very well (too many grains) but overall I'm already accustomed to a relatively low carb existence. I am very active and follow many of the paleo principles without actually realising it before. I have around 10% body fat and am pretty happy with that overall. My current HbA1c is 5.9%. However I'm keen to try paleo for 2 reasons:

1) I'm a personal trainer and I want to be able to speak from 1st hand experience when advising clients on this type of diet.

2) I want to see if I can improve my overall diabetic control and general well being. For some time I've suspected that conventional carbs (bread, pasta etc) are not the best choices for me but have done so as a sort of safety mechanism for blood sugar levels. When first diagnosed, carbs are the first thing you are heavily directed towards.

I currently count carbs and use an insulin pump, meaning I don't need to count the carbs in veg (basal insulin covers those easily) but I'd love to hear from other type 1s who have undertaken the paleo method. What pitfalls are there and how did you find the overall effect? The idea of having to take so little insulin with meals would initially unsettle me a bit I have to say!

I'm especially concerned about maintaining or even gaining a little weight. Low carb often means weight loss, I'm a lean build as it is so I'd like to avoid losing weight whilst I'm trying to adjust to the diet.

Its something i'm hugely interested in, and the rules of paleo make perfect sense to me. However because of the diabetes i'm keen to make sure I set off on the right foot. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Loughrey; 06-25-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Loughrey View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum so I'll drop a little background first. I have type 1 diabetes and I'm looking for some help with integrating the paleo diet.
    You could perhaps find a doctor in the Paleo Physicians Network to work with:

Paleo Physicians Network

There's some information on Robb Wolf's site that might be of interest:

Search Results for type 1 diabetes