Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I lose my freaking mind on the weekend? (Long, whiny) page

erinzest is offline Junior Member

Angry Why do I lose my freaking mind on the weekend? (Long, whiny)

I travel for work every week, Monday-Thursday (or Friday.) I typically lock down and eat really clean during those days, and lately I've even been getting in some exercise every day, despite the absurd hours. Consequesntly, I'm usually a few pounds lighter and feeling great by Friday.

However....

On the weekends, I pretty much without fail destroy my efforts. I don't know exactly why. It's like I feel I "deserve" to kick back after a hard week (even though staying on a healthy track would be much more relaxing.) I also feel I have to make the effort to hang out with my boyfriend/friends all weekend after not seeing them during the week, and often that means going out. And margaritas. And post-margaritas binging. And then more binging the next day, to make myself feel better.

I know drinking in moderation can be primal, but how do you make that work when everyone around you is drinking lots of sugary crap and eating chips? How can I get my friends/boyfriend more interested in doing outdoor active stuff, rather than just drinking all weekend? And why do I have such a hard time staying primal during the weekend?

Before discovering MDA, I ate South Beach style - so pretty similar to how I eat now, but less fat and more fake food like sugarfree fudgecicles, etc. Oddly enough, I felt less prone to weekend insanity then, perhaps because I had the structure in place. It was also a lot easier when I wasn't traveling every week. I'm not really sure what my question is here - just looking for tips to help overcome this barrier. I have about 10lbs I can't shift because of this one-steps forward, two-steps back weekly madness. I know if I did South Beach again for a month, it would come off, but I really do like the way I feel when I eat primal. I think all the fat is good for my anxiety, skin, and general happiness.

Ideas? Comiseration? Freaking weekends!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Stress. Traveling is stressful but the obvious symptoms often don't appear until the stress lifts. At least that's the way I tend to be. Adrenaline keeps me going during stress then I crash and fall apart. Are you on the road every day or do you go to a city and stay in one hotel? Are you exercising, eating enough fat, getting enough sleep? Could be you're wearing yourself down then making up for it by binging.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Weekends are hard, because of proximity to the food source (think a primal hunter who just killed a large animal and brough it over to the familial fire), and the mindset of being lazy.

I gave up on trying to keep to limited food intake on the weekends, and what I do, is I put my workout schedule in such a way that is tart my day with heavy workout, and then I carb up and refeed. I try to eat clean, but allow myself things like fruit and calories to stay high.

Then, all week I cut calories and carbs to a minimum (I am trying to get 1000 cals, but usually is is 1200 cals, because I am a hopeless glutton).

Believe it or not, that helps at least maintain, if not lose weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

erinzest is offline Junior Member
    Certainly stress is a huge part of it. I am at least in one place, though - I stay in the same hotel Monday-Thursday, then home. It has a kitchen so I can (and do!) cook. Lately I have been working about 55 hours by end of day Thursday... it's hard to do that and fit in exercise, but it makes a hugeeee difference in how I feel. I also do try to sleep enough, but usually can only manage 6-7 hours. Maybe sleeping one additional hour every day could help?

I do like the idea of eating clean, but lots, on the weekends but working out heavy. Maybe I will give that a shot next weekend. Then the weekends will still feel like a treat, but won't put me into a sugar-addicted lethargy. Leida, do you count calories? I usually just kinda eat until I'm satisfied, etc., but maybe going back to calorie counting would be a reality check, haha. I am sure I'm eating at least 2,000 Monday - Friday and significantly more on the weekends, but I'm active and 23 so I maintain at that level.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do not count on the weekends, but on the weekdays I do. When I am not limiting myself, I usually end up with 1500-1700, which means a slow gain, so I am scaling myself down to 1200-1400 when i want to maintain/lose. When i tried to count my weekends, i would end up with 2000-2500 range, and that's being full and satisfied, but not sick. I normally gain 2 to 4 lbs over the weekend, and if I keep to lower caloric range, I lose it off during the week. If I am really low cal, I will have a loss. I do not want to be starved, so I take a weight gain when I have to (like during the PMS or those inexplicable weeks when you are just hungry). I hope excess goes to building muscle.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    And margaritas. And post-margaritas binging. And then more binging the next day, to make myself feel better.

I know drinking in moderation can be primal, but how do you make that work when everyone around you is drinking lots of sugary crap and eating chips?
    If you must drink, have vodka and club soda, alternate with water and eliminate the margaritas period. I assume with the chips you are at Mexican restaurants..... You need to ignore the chips, sip your vodka and order something like carne asada and guac. It gets easier over time.

For me the best plan is to drink what I can't guzzle, and eat primally.

Also, give yourself the occasional treat- a single serving cup of Haagen Daz is under 300 calories. Not an every day treat... but if it keeps you from the 1200 calorie chips and margarita binge, worth it....
    For example we went to a party Saturday- I ate a big meal before going and ignored the food. I drank water.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    I drink whiskey and water. Since it's not light and fruity, it requires you to not chug. I do tend to chew down some salted nuts or cheese when I drink, but that's it. The salt and fat tends to keep the OTHER cravings away.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely say it's stress. Traveling is stressful, working long hours is stressful, and as soon as you "let your hair down" at the end of the week your willpower crashes because you've been running too hard all week.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erinzest View Post
    I know drinking in moderation can be primal, but how do you make that work when everyone around you is drinking lots of sugary crap and eating chips? How can I get my friends/boyfriend more interested in doing outdoor active stuff, rather than just drinking all weekend? And why do I have such a hard time staying primal during the weekend?
    I learned this trick long time ago: I do what I want to do at all times. I do not try to get the boyfriend to do what I want to do. I say, I'm going to xyz, would you like to come, and then I go whether he comes or not. He'll say let's go do xyz and if I want to do it I will and if I don't, I won't. That way we do stuff together that we both want to do. Sometimes I just say I'm going to go do xyz and then I don't ask him to come. I like my time to myself. And I like it when he does the same. Then the house is all mine.

When it comes to food and drink, I eat and drink what I like and don't worry about what others are doing. If they want margaritas and chips and I don't, I just order the stuff I like. If I have to eat guacamole with a spoon, I will do it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

o6450rider is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had similar issues when I first started the primal adventure. What I found was I was really stressed due to long work hours (I work rotating 12 hour shifts that go back and forth from days to nights weekly) My girlfirned was not primal, all my friends wanted to drink and eat "party food" and all I wanted to do was have my cake and eat it to as in hang out with them AND go for a hike or play outside. I found my answer was make my decision for me and my decision was being primal. I followed that and did not try and ask my girldfriend to go primal nor my friends to do different things. I stayed primal and went out and did the outside activities that I wanted to do. This decreased my stress levels dramatically. The first few weeks were rough because I was doing my thing and they were doing theirs, but when I was out doing my stuff my friends and girlfriend saw how much my stress levels dropped and how happy I was everyday. To make things better, my friends and girlfriend started slowly, by themselves, asking to join me or accepted to join me when I asked, they started asking what I was cooking and eating it with me, then before I knew it they started slowing down on the alcohol consumption and our time spent together was focused more around primal food and outdoor activities.

Not once was my intent to change their minds nor did I try and force anything on them or even ask them to try it. I did my thing and they started joining me. When asking them how they were feeling about the change of activites they responded with great responses. They were asking all kinds of questions on more info about what I was doing and asked what I did to feel so much better all the time. Of course I shared MDA and what I was doing and left it at that. While speaking to my father about what was going on one day he told me a little quote that really made sense. "Son, make your decision and do what makes you happy in life, Water rises to the same level and if your level and their level isnt rising to the same level then thats not in your control but if you change what you control to make you happy then a happy life will surround you" He pretty much told me do what makes me happy and if they come around then cool, if they dont that doesnt mean we cant be friends it just means that we will do different things. At times we still go to a bar or something but the time spent at the bar has decreased dramatically and the intake has decreased as well. Hope this helps, sorry to rant about it a little but I found this very useful and helpful to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast