Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many crbs/prot/fat? page

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member

How many crbs/prot/fat?

Primal Fuel
    I am 43yrs old, 167lb, sedentary, take thyroxine due to having half a thyroid gland.
    I would like to get back to my smoking days when I weighed between 9st 7lb and 10st.
    What would be the best ratios of fat, protien and carbs for steady weight loss?

Anyone??

I don't pay attention to ratios. I just experimented to see what felt right and worked.

I basically eat equal portions of meat and veggies. I change up with beef, pork, fish, etc. I stay away from the starches.

This seems to work well for me. I never went hungry and was eating 2, sometimes 3 meals a day.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    not everybody tracks and different people have different needs.

are you tracking? are you losing? are you able to get out and walk?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedogs View Post
    Anyone??
    It comes up so often that people are perhaps reluctant to address it again. It's laid out in the different sections of the online guide to the Primal Blueprint:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Have a read, if your want the detail, but I'll walk you through it.

So -- How much protein?

Calculate that from your lean bodymass, using the formula given by Mark here in this section of the Guide:

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

How many carbs?

Decide on that, using the suggestions given by Mark n this section of the Guide:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

That will give you a figure in grams for both protein and carbohydrate. There are only three macronutrients, so anything else is fat. How much depends on how much you eat. How much you eat should probably depend not on an arbitrary calorie figure, but on how hungry you feel.

Grams of this or that you can check with a tool like Fitday.

You have access to the formulae above. But, very roughly, an average-sized woman probably requires something like 8 to 10 ounces of meat a day (or replace some of that with eggs, nuts, cheese, etc.). In terms of carbs -- well, as many non-starchy vegetables and salads as you want, but go easy on the fruit, and you should have an appropriate intake for weight-loss. Fats: use a little butter and olive oil, and if you feel hungry it's better to snack on foods relatively high in fat. But if you don't feel hungry, fine.

It's not possible to give ratios because two of the macronutrients are kind of fixed figures with the Blueprint and the other depends on how much you eat, which depends on your current needs and what your hunger's doing.
    Last edited by Lewis; 06-25-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What Lewis said.

But I would not use nuts or cheese for any part of your protein requirement. Nuts and cheese seem to make people fat more than meat or eggs. Stick to meat and eggs for protein, and make it a variety of meats including liver if at all possible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Thanx all

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But I would not use nuts or cheese for any part of your protein requirement. Nuts and cheese seem to make people fat more than meat or eggs. Stick to meat and eggs for protein, and make it a variety of meats including liver if at all possible.
    I get the bulk of my calories from fat, and the bulk of that from milk products ( various cheeses ) including that oh so unpaleo / unprimal raw milk. The problem with dairy is the pasteurization, mostly, and since the OP seems to be from the UK, getting unpasteurized milk products ought to be significantly easier than in the states.

The principal problem with nuts is their amazing caloric density. One handful of Brazil nuts ( 50g ) is 350 calories and the macronutrient profile is very close to that of meat. I suspect the reason people have it in for nuts is due to the fact they overdose on them quite easily.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i think many tend to over-eat cheese too, and this seems to be very true of women. 1 oz. is a pretty small portion. i can't snack on it because of this, but do fine with it mixed into some eggs or a salad. i do even better with pastured cream and full-fat yogurt.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you have other health issues--any metabolic issues? It's not a one nutrient profile fits all kind of thing. Will take some navigating on your part. Congratulations on giving up the smoking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast