Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Foodist Going Primal page

cbeauty is offline Junior Member

Question Raw Foodist Going Primal

Thrive Market
    I have been 'raw' for over four years, with blood sugar issues the entire time. I went 'protein type' on the metabolic typing diet (which meant cutting out fruits and honey... I'm already grain free). I added raw eggs and fish to my diet and was doing very well for about two weeks- then my stomach would cramp up horribly for at least an hour after eating fish, and a few days later it happened when I ate the eggs. Eating these proteins with other fats/veggies helps, but I have had to cut way back on my consumption. I do eat raw cheeses and will be getting raw milk tomorrow. Any suggestions/insights would be fantastic!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you committed to staying raw? Is there a reason for this? A basic primal diet with lots of meats, fat, and veggies is a great way to control blood sugar.

I would suggest adding in cooked bone broths - chicken or beef bones simmered for hours with some veggies and liberal amounts of sea salts. They are really nutritious and highly digestible.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I eat the eggs raw blended up in a small 'shake', but I eat the fish lightly grilled in a Foreman grill unless I eat it sushi style. The broth concept sounds like a great idea- thank you!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you opposed to eating beef?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Not necessarily, but I would probably want to start with seared steak and the like. The closer to raw the better... In my mind.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Good steak and snitchel are both pretty good when barely cooked.

Otherwise this could happen:
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    You still need to work on the notion that "raw" is inherently better. With a few exceptions (beets, maybe carrots), vegetable nutrients are more bio-available when cooked, and less likely to come with any toxic stowaways. That applies even moreso to meat and eggs.

A variety of cooked and raw foods is really the way to go, especially if you're taken with the paleo concept. Humans were cooking their food at least as far back as a million years.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    You still need to work on the notion that "raw" is inherently better. With a few exceptions (beets, maybe carrots), vegetable nutrients are more bio-available when cooked, and less likely to come with any toxic stowaways. That applies even moreso to meat and eggs.

A variety of cooked and raw foods is really the way to go, especially if you're taken with the paleo concept. Humans were cooking their food at least as far back as a million years.
    Exactly this.

Though I would never cook a melon or blueberries, I would'd a pig raw, or a mass of spring greens.

I saw a documentry with Dr Alice Roberts, that was looking at human evolution, she tried to eat half a days worth of calories from raw carrots and it took about 4 hours, then tried the same with cooked carrots, took less than an hour. Cooking food gave us the time to form social bonds, make tools etc etc, cows have to eat all day, you don't have to..

Like Chaohinon said, we evoloved from apes that were cooking, we have been cooking since before we were homo-erectus, let alone homo-sapien (snigger at erectus), I'm just not convinced there is any benifit to eating 100% raw, I eat plenty of raw food, but pelenty cooked too.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

yogashmoga is offline Junior Member
    i was a raw foodist for 1.5 yrs (100%.) i have never been in worse health in my life. my health and body have improved tremendously since i have been primal. i really should write my story some time and send it to mark...

i still eat huge salads and lots of fresh greens, but i'm often shocked at how much animal protein i'm taking in. it took a while to break through from that "i'll try meat in moderation" to "complete and frequent indulgence." if you're tempted to try, just jump in as you feel comfortable! i do a lot of research when i make grassfed meat purchases and often visit the farms from the places i purchase. i felt/feel so much better about transitioning into carnivorism (omnivorism...but i really feel like a carnivore) when i know the animals have been raised and slaughtered humanely.

i will add something totally weird- eating this much animal has me feeling tied to the earth in this completely insane circle-of-life kinda way. good luck!
    this wounded bear is gonna find ALL the answers...health, reveal thyself!!

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Raw eggwhites can be pretty hard to digest (if you ate them raw that could have been upsetting your stomach?) So heat it till it turns white, but eat the egg yolk raw. That's also how egg tastes best IMO.

Try to eat a balance of both cooked and raw food and see how you feel. You don't have to be less advanced than some of our earliest ancestors
    Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast