Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw Foodist Going Primal page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When I make steak I cook it very low and slow. I put it in the oven at 275 degrees and the meat is ready when the internal temperature is 95 degrees. Then I pan sear it 2 minutes on one side and 1 minute on the other side and a little around all the edges. This results in a steak that appears almost raw but doesn't taste raw. It's basically turbo dry-aged. The connective tissues are dissolved and the fat is melted. The whole thing is tender and juicy. I know there are raw all-meat paleos out there, but in my mind, unless you do something to the meat to melt the connective tissues and other hard bits, you are ruining your meat.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 06-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Why exactly are you trying to emulate a chimp? Cooking has been going on since before there was Homo sapiens.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I like my eggs runny, my meat pulled from the fridge, shown the stove in terror and slapped on my plate. The chewwie bits on meat are what teeth are for. I have been eating bacon raw for 40 years with little impact on me that I can see. Veggies I like cooked 'cause I hate them hate them hate them and anything to make them go down faster is good.

What you eat cooked and or raw is up to you, everybody is different and only you know what you like.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I like my eggs runny, my meat pulled from the fridge, shown the stove in terror and slapped on my plate. The chewwie bits on meat are what teeth are for. I have been eating bacon raw for 40 years with little impact on me that I can see. Veggies I like cooked 'cause I hate them hate them hate them and anything to make them go down faster is good.
    I'll have to give raw bacon a try.

I eat quite a bit of wind-dried cod smeared thick with butter and I've tried Faroese fermented lamb meat (an...aquired taste that one). Raw seal liver is fairly soft to chew and tastes ok I guess although the Greenlanders eat it more like a snack out on the ice. Fermented herring (surström) and shark are good to go as well, ok except for the herring, vile, vile stuff in my opinion. Whale blubber pickled in whey is a delectable snack though supply outside of Iceland is an issue I imagine.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    Why exactly are you trying to emulate a chimp? Cooking has been going on since before there was Homo sapiens.
    So, because we've been cooking for awhile cooked food is better? I don't eat a raw diet, but I have a hard time saying that humans were meant to eat cooked food. Raw Paleo Forum is a great place for anyone interested in a raw paleo diet.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    So, because we've been cooking for awhile cooked food is better? I don't eat a raw diet, but I have a hard time saying that humans were meant to eat cooked food. Raw Paleo Forum is a great place for anyone interested in a raw paleo diet.
    Yes, some foods are better tasting/more nutricious cooked... And it makes it easier to eat a varied diet, eliminate bugs/harmfull bacteria + saves you some time. But I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I am personally just not going to, because that would leave out a lot of vegetables and make me too bloated digesting them I think.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    If you really into staying mostly raw yet still want to be incorporating some protein checkout Susan schencks Beyond Broccoli. She uses raw egg yolks, raw liver smoothies (yuck) and some lightly seared meat.

Amazon.com: Beyond Broccoli, Creating a Biologically Balanced Diet When a Vegetarian Diet Doesn't Work (9780977679522): Susan Schenck LAc, Bob Avery: Books

cbeauty is offline Junior Member
    Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I tried eating just the egg yolks and I am fine now. I am starting to incorporate IF into my life and it is amazing! I also ordered the "Beyond Broccoli" book from Amazon (haven't received it yet>>>)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12