Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living in CHINA page 2

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the replies!

Looks like Ill be living in Guangshou.

I do love cooking some Im hoping to come away from my time there with some good first hand experience with CHinese cooking.

I thought local markets would be the way to go... but I might have to check out the Tesco's and Carrefour's too.

Any more thoughts/ideas?

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

thanks thaijinx! great resource!!

omaricollins167 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Food in Beijing tends to be more on the spicy side and relies a lot more on noodles (rice noodles). There are some good supermarket options there too, but I found that city to be less geared toward westerners than Shanghai. Of course, you won't be able to control what kind of oils they cook with and whether or not they use MSG. So the best bet is to cook for yourself!.
    I am afraid of fat food and oils. It will make me fat so quickly

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Been there, (have not) done that, mostly due to lack of kitchen facilities.

Others covered it, but basically the recipe for eating paleo (or close to it) in china:

1. Get a kitchen - if you don't have one, eating anything close to paleo/primal will be a difficult proposition at best
    2. Buy ingredients you can identify by sight(for things like olive oil, look for an international chain)

If you're in a hotel as I was, it may be possible to manage paleo for breakfast, but for most other meals to go to a restaurant that offers paleo-style choices may cost you quite a bit and may be hard to find depending on your location. In those cases, I'd advocate making a best effort - avoid the noodles and obvious pitfalls, and just do the best you can.

Hey Guys, Just wanted to bump this thread in case any experienced China paleo eaters see this thread and chime in.

currently living in Guangzhou. Able to source organic vege's and eggs and a little beef. thats it. who knows what the meat here is tainted with!. got some NZ butter in there too.

ANy my advice welcome =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12