Thread: Trigger Point Therapy page

Hooligan Jones is offline Junior Member

Trigger Point Therapy

Primal Fuel
    I used this to overcome chronic back pain, and it was the beginning of my journey, finding the Primal Blueprint shortly there after.

The technique (trigger point therapy) can have benefits even if your back is fine. Several acquaintances have used it and found areas of pain in their backs, glutes, and hips that they were completely unaware of.
    It's a nice add-on to my PB fitness routine. I use it the day prior to the WOW. I certainly feel like I can move better with it than without it.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    I know at least half a dozen people who use the TPT series. One of my co-workers used it to recover from neck and carpal tunnel pain that had basically destroyed his career as a programmer, another one uses it for his migraines. My parents use it as an adjunct to their workouts. Pretty much a guarantee that if you run across someone with a racquetball tied in a leg of pantyhose at her desk, she's got the TPT book somewhere...

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    What the hell is TPT?

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Trigger Point Therapy.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Obviously- but what the hell is trigger point therapy?

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Not to be snarky, of course, but Google is your friend. When I refer to the TPT "book" or "series" I mean the books by Clair Davies.
    Amazon.com: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition (9781572243750)

The concept of the "trigger point" was developed in the 1940s by Janet Travell, a medical researcher who later became John F. Kennedy's personal physician. Trigger point therapy is used by physical therapists working on people with musculoskeletal pain and by people with musculoskeletal pain on their own as well.

8 Weeks Out: Trigger Point Therapy
    Trigger point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Trigger points, also known as trigger sites or muscle knots, are described as hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers. The trigger point model states that unexplained pain frequently radiates from these points of local tenderness to broader areas, sometimes distant from the trigger point itself. Practitioners claim to have identified reliable referred pain patterns which associate pain in one location with trigger points elsewhere.
    I don't know much about whatever research exists for trigger points (somewhat unusually for me), but I'm a believer because I figured out when I was young that massaging specific points on my back would stave off or ease a migraine and more generalized neck and shoulder pain. I didn't find out until years later that those spots had a name and that there was a body of therapeutic practice behind it.
    Last edited by fat; 07-01-2012 at 01:41 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    The technique involves applying short, repeated massage strokes to trigger points
    I think I am familiar with this..............

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I think I am familiar with this..............
    Let me guess: you're happy to arrange practice on you by interested student "therapists."