Thread: Caffeine Free Kombucha?? page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Caffeine Free Kombucha??

Shop Now
    I am currently suffering from a serious Kombucha addiction. I used to make my own, but gave it up because of the caffeine and the sugar. I have been drinking the GT's stuff which says on the website that it is caffeine free and is very low sugar.

GT's Kombucha - Products

I have always read that you cannot make kombucha from decaff tea. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Or could I make a kombucha that is part roibos tea and part decaf black tea?

Thanks!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Not true. The komucha scoby eats the sugar. It doesn't care what kind of tea it's diluted in.

Rooibos makes a really good kombucha base. A friend of mine makes it but I am too lazy and often buy GTs or other brands.

I am extremely caffeine sensitive and, due to a seizure disorder, I am under neurologists orders to be completely caffeine free. That said, I can and often do drink kombucha as a bedtime drink and it causes me no problems at all. If anything I feel like I sleep better with it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not true. The komucha scoby eats the sugar. It doesn't care what kind of tea it's diluted in.

Rooibos makes a really good kombucha base. A friend of mine makes it but I am too lazy and often buy GTs or other brands.

I am extremely caffeine sensitive and, due to a seizure disorder, I am under neurologists orders to be completely caffeine free. That said, I can and often do drink kombucha as a bedtime drink and it causes me no problems at all. If anything I feel like I sleep better with it.
    That is awesome! I'm going to give it a try then. Rooibos tea has the added advantage of being low in oxalates, which make me happy too. The way I've been drinking it lately, it will save me a ton of money to make my own
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Kombucha Kamp is offline Junior Member
    Hey folks! You can absolutely make a delicious batch of Kombucha using Rooibos or any other herbal tisane but the Kombucha culture (SCOBY) does require some real tea (Camellia sinensis) to thrive over time, otherwise the bacteria will eventually atrophy and die off. Here's some info on making herbal Kombucha but keeping the culture healthy at the same time: Kombucha Side Effects: Caffeine | Make Decaf Kombucha Recipe