Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prowling Mshathvri page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Welcome. Glad you decided to jump down the rabbit hole with us.

I think the scale thing is a personal decision. If it is an obsessive thing for you, you're right, put it away. But that may change later on as you settle into this way of life a bit and start seeing good results. Then weighing can turn from an anxiety producing thing that is dreaded into something fun. "Look I lost another two pounds this week! Yay!"

Some people chuck the scale completely and some people weigh every five minutes. I'm somewhere in between. I only weigh once a day in the morning before any food or drink but after using the bathroom. And I have a rule with myself that no weight gain or loss is "real" unless it continues in a trend for a minimum of three days. This stops any freaking out over minor water weight fluctuations.

Mshathvri is offline Senior Member
    Hi Kakes and Paleobird! Yaaay, I'm so glad to meet you! Kakes, I'm glad that I've been entertaining, and Paleobird, I'm honored that you stop by and I thank you for your perspective/wisdom. It's been interesting; I put the scale in the garage and haven't looked for it since. Boyfriend has been weighing himself more than once a day. He says it works for him as a motivational and observational tool (oops, shouldn't have had all of that "x" yesterday...). Personally, I think the mind games engendered by regular shmegular weight fluctuation would depress me and elate me too much, and I want to keep up with this happily positive emotional keel without expecting either miracles or failure.

I'm thinking that in terms of measuring my progress over this month that I will snap a photo once a week, on either Tuesday or Wednesday morning--and then post it. That'll help me to evaluate how I'm doing without looking at the scale.

Yesterday I went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant. They made me shrimp scampi and a side salad without pasta and without complaint. While I'm sure it wasn't a perfect paleo meal, it was close--and if I can eat basically primally at an Italian restaurant, I can eat primally ANYWHERE.

Can I just mention here that I'm really excited to raise my little boy on the values of Mark's primal lifestyle? The food will be his decision, but if I can teach him to be a barefooted, sunshined, well-sleeping, unstressed little critter, his life will be so much better. Especially if I value playing and play with him tons and tons and tons.

One thing: I can't believe how much I don't want carbs. I am not a virtuous person. I am not a person with good self-control. I don't do deprivation without getting all panicky and anxious.

I used to call myself a "coffee and carbohydrate fueled person." I gave up grains, had a headache for three days, and now I'm all de-bloated. Holy crap. I feel hope! This might actually work.

I watched all but the last seventeen minutes of "Fathead" yesterday (I have a baby; I don't watch entire movies.) It's one of those documentaries that's so biased that I can't watch it without feeling propaganda-ed to, but it does line up with many of the concepts of paleo eating--so I guess it's good to get some independent verification.
    Beastly musician / My Primal Blog

My plan for the year (July 23rd 2012-July 23rd 2013):

Walk to Mordor. I have walked 12.33 miles out of 1779.
    Do Convict Conditioning / balance exercises.
    Eat primally.
    Take a progress picture once a week.
    Don't weigh myself.

Starting weight: 223
    Current weight: ???
    Goal weight: 145

Waist measurement 08/03/12: 42 inches and three quarters
    Goal waist measurement: 30 inches

Today I'm interested in how eating primally will change my dental health. I read somewhere... somewhere... (oh gads where was it? I've been reading so much about paleo lately...) that sugar and grains promote plaque. I've always eaten tons of carbs and I've always had poor dental health. I'm wondering if I will produce less plaque and improve my overall nutrition and levels of inflammation and have healthier gums and teeth.

I noticed just now that my gums are a different color of pink than they used to be.

So, to the Googles!

The Paleo Diet and Good Oral Health.

Preventing and Healing Tooth Decay

Paleo Diet, How to Keep Your Teeth Healthy and Strong

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    YES! My husband and daughter have had the worst teeth ever. (I firmly believe my daughter's problems came from our mostly vegan diet when she was a babe. Her molars grew in rotting.) Our dental checkups 4 months into Primal were spotless! Minimal plaque, healthy gums, and no cavities for the entire family! 6 people. No cavities. It was more than a minor miracle for us.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

That is incredibly good to hear, Kakes! I was vegan for a year and vegetarian for eight years. =) Right now I'm trying to think of those years as helpful training for food-exclusion ways of eating.

I have this daydream that involves showing up for my next dental appointment and blowing away my despairing dentist with incredibly improved overall and dental health. I imagine telling him how I've given up grains, sodas, and sugars... and I imagine my gums glowing with incredi-health and my teeth having increased stores of dentin and etc.

My goal: no more root canals after my next (already scheduled one).

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

Husband just told me that I'm looking healthier and that he thinks my upper pooch is diminished. Boyfriend also thinks that my upper pooch is smaller.

Husband and I just talked about visiting my dentist. Husband eats very little sugar, and he says that the dentist is always sighing and asking him to eat more sugar to help keep him in business.

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

I just want to take a moment here to express how incredibly happy and hopeful I have been since I started eating primally. I have complete belief that this will help me to be healthier. I might not get diabetes--holy cow. I may not be doomed to a life of becoming increasingly more sedentary and atrophied. There is hope for me here.

I might YET become agile and able. I could have knees that bend easily, a heart that can handle hiking and runningomgveryfast.

I am going to be able to play with my son when he's no longer an infant. I'm going to be able to keep up. I will be lean! He will never believe that I used to be fat.

MY LONG, SUN-BLEACHED HAIR WILL FLOW IN THE BREEZE, ATTRACTIVELY TOUSLED. I will wear denim cutoff shorts and tank tops. I will be le sexy.

And also I will do a pull up. Oh yes.

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

Today I've hit some challenges; I went out for Indian food, and going without the rice or naan was surprisingly hard for me. Also, I've just noticed a half full bag of Hershey's fun sized candy bars and I am drooling over them. This is the first time since I began that I've had cravings. So, if you have fun links to inspiring blogs or articles, or just a few words of encouragement, this is the time for them!

Today, in the spirit of the Primal lifestyle's "play" requirement, Husband and I went to play basketball HORSE in the park. It was incredibly fun. I haven't laughed so hard in a long, long time. OMG, the Primal lifestyle might make EVERYTHING better.

And now I'm going to go sleep. With a young baby, sleep is precious, precious, precious...

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

But oh! Today I bumped up from level one planks to level four planks! With ease! Hooray!

Eat primally.
    Don't weigh myself.

Paleobird Guest
    Excellent progress!

And my dentist can't believe how little tartar or plaque he can find. He keeps trying to find some to justify the cleaning fee.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast