Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Breath Basics page

wiltondeportes Guest

Bad Breath Basics

I never thought about this before, but of course smell would be different from taste.
    One must understand that just as seeing and hearing are two different senses, and so are smelling and taste. You can have a great mint taste in your mouth (after using Altoids, for example), but the odor being sensed by the person next to you at work can be a disagreeable sulfur odor. This is true because the sugar in those products stimulate the bacteria to produce more sulfur compounds.
    Pharmaceutical companies realized early on that it could be very easy to fool the public by creating strong flavors in oral rinses, which would then be sensed by the brain as if the user's breath was fresh.
    Some oral rinses are flavored to taste like medicine with the distinct purpose of creating the sense to the user that product with that flavor is actually doing something.
    ^Makes me think about the uselessness of toothpaste. My teeth have been healthier and whiter since I stopped using toothpaste. Ironically, it was my 91 year old grandma who first showed me that toothpaste isn't necessary.

Metallic Taste in Mouth Causes and Bitter Taste in Mouth by Dr Katz

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    what do you mean? don't use toothpaste? not sure I follow the quotes and conclusions

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    what do you mean? don't use toothpaste? not sure I follow the quotes and conclusions
    Well, the O.P. is drawing different conclusions from what the people who placed the advertisement intended her to draw.

I guess they meant you to conclude that the argument they advance is plausible and conclude that you need to buy TheraBreath toothpaste.

The O.P. buys the argument -- that the taste of a dental product ("oral rinses" or toothpastes) says nothing about what your breath actually smells like, although a strong taste tends to misleads you into thinking that your breath must smell the same -- but draws a different conclusion. She concludes, Why use toothpaste at all?

I guess non-industrialized populations don't use toothpaste -- although they may use twigs to clean their teeth and might also chew herbs or natron or other substances -- but often have pretty sound teeth. So, if it doesn't do anything for your breath either, is toothpaste really necessary?

Stefansson had some interesting things to say about this in 1936:

Meantime there appeared a statement from Dr. Adelbert Fernald, Curator of the Museum of Dental School, Harvard University, that he had been collecting mouth casts of living Americans, from the most northerly Eskimos south to the Yucatan. The best teeth and the healthiest mouths were found among people who never drank milk since they had ceased to be suckling babes and who never in their lives tasted any of the other things recommended for sound teeth by the New York Commissioner of Health. These people, Eskimos, never use tooth paste, tooth powder, tooth brushes, mouth wash, or gargle. They never take any pains to cleanse their teeth or mouths. They do not visit their dentist twice a year or even once in a lifetime. Their food is exclusively meat. Meat, be it noted, was not mentioned in the advertisement issued by Dr. Wayne.

Teeth superior on the average to those of the presidents of our largest tooth-paste companies are found in the world to-day, and have existed during past ages, among people who violate every precept of current dentifrice advertising.
    (My emphasis)

Stefansson 3 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.

I compromise myself and use a simple toothpaste without any unnecessary, and possibly noxious, additives, choosing one from the list on David Getoff's site:

Improving Your Health--David J. Getoff, Naturopath and Clinical Nutritionist

I haven't used toothpaste in about a month. Straight up water twice daily and once a week I'll use baking soda. In other news, my gums haven't bled when I've flossed in oh, about a month.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I have not used a toothbrush since, hell, I don't know when. At 56 still have my own teeth, can pry a bottle cap off a bottle and when I went to the dentist last year for a broke tooth, x-rays, etc showed no problems, no cavities, etc. Contrast with my SO who is always brushing, flossing, rinsing, etc and her teeth are falling out of her mouth.

I was watching one of those "How its made" shows onetime and they were showing how toothpaste was made. One of the ingredients was an abrasive. Now seems to me that brushing with an abrasive could damage the enamel on the teeth leading to cavities.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

rhiarti is offline Member
    Really interested in the experiences of folk who've stopped using toothpaste or brushing. My teeth are lovely and strong (I brush twice daily, and water floss daily), but my gums are far from happy, and as for occasional ketosis breath...

Definitely going to play around and see what effect brushing has!

Friesonmyburger, you're just using water and a toothbrush for your daily brush, right?

Randal do you literally just not brush at all? Floss? Toothpick? Anything?!

I know my dentist has commented that he can always tell when someone doesn't eat much sugar or fruit, so I'm more than open to the concept all this brushing and minty paste has been for nothing! Just really intrigued as to how much I can or should pare the tooth cleaning process back.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    My dentist actually told me to stop using toothpaste... My husband joked that using the yellowpages to find a dentist I managed to find the one primal dentist in the area But, he isn't at all primal - he just said what another poster did - that there are abrasives in toothpaste that are actually bad for your teeth. He suggested dipping a brush in some mouthwash (for the minty taste) and to just lightly scrub to "disrupt" the bacteria. Once a day. Crazy I used to never floss, since seeing him a few months ago I have been following his suggestion but I do floss twice a day (also his suggestion) and I've noticed that my gums bleed less and my breath is better.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Wilton!

Would you post your routine, please?

I got the junk out of my toothpaste years ago, but didn't have the Primal (ate SAD), so off to the dentist I went - a lot. All this talk of minimalist care has me intrigued. I have a clean mouthwash, but it is more for fun - never was a regular user. The thing I am in love with the most is my stainless steel tongue scraper.

plynch is offline Junior Member
    I don't use toothpaste anymore.

I found this website OraWellness. Natural & Organic Solutions to Gum Disease, Bleeding Gums, Periodontitis and Bad Breath - Your Source for Oral Wellness
    They sell a brushing blend. It's a mixture of various essential oils.
    I really like it so far. It leaves the mouth tingling for a good long while.

They also sell BASS toothbrushes, which have rounded bristles instead of the sharper bristles found in normal brushes. So your not using an abrasive toothpaste or an abrasive brush.

Its a little expensive, but i think its worth it.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I never thought about this before, but of course smell would be different from taste.

^Makes me think about the uselessness of toothpaste. My teeth have been healthier and whiter since I stopped using toothpaste. Ironically, it was my 91 year old grandma who first showed me that toothpaste isn't necessary.

Metallic Taste in Mouth Causes and Bitter Taste in Mouth by Dr Katz
    I'm getting sick of the taste left in my mouth from toothpaste and the dryness. What have you been using since you stopped with toothpaste?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast