Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Breath Basics page 2

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by rhiarti View Post
    Randal do you literally just not brush at all? Floss? Toothpick? Anything?!
    I do use various items to pick my teeth ranging from those little floss/pick things you can get a Wal-Mart to a straight staple or paperclip. I also have floss around when needed but otherwise, no toothbrush, no toothpaste, no mouth wash.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

rhiarti is offline Member
    Wow, definitely sounds worth a try - thank you! Might start with a week of just using my water flosser and see how I fare.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    when i gave up grains my teeth and mouth felt cleaner within days. my gums also stopped bleeding, proving the inflammatory reaction i did get from grains.

lately i've been rinsing my mouth with coconut oil and WOW is my mouth happy. i don't consider it pulling, because i only do it for 3-5 minutes. it's also fun because i spit it out the window and like watching it fall 4 stories to the ground.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes this site goes a bit over board with the "down with conventional wisdom. Lets all be hippies. Everything is a conspiracy" thing. I know people that dont use tooth paste. I know they dont cause their breath smells like dog shit.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Sometimes this site goes a bit over board with the "down with conventional wisdom. Lets all be hippies. Everything is a conspiracy" thing. I know people that dont use tooth paste. I know they dont cause their breath smells like dog shit.
    What conspiracy? That there is abrasives in regular toothpaste is not a conspiracy, it is a fact.

Abrasives constitute at least 50% of a typical toothpaste
    Toothpaste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That most toothpaste is full of chemicals, coloring and additives is not a conspiracy, it is a fact. Read the ingredients on a tube of toothpaste.

Using toothpaste that is natural or using an alternative to a toothpaste that does not have these things in them is a good idea.

While why these ingredients is in the regular toothpaste maybe a conspiracy, the fact that these things are in the toothpaste is not.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    people with terrible breath usually have other health issues, most likely rotten teeth or gum disease. you're smelling infection, not lack of toothpaste.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Ramiel Nagel in Cure Tooth Decay lists the following ingedients as common:

• hydrated silica -- that's an abrasive, obviously

• sorbitol and saccahrine -- sweeteners

• TiO₂ -- as used in white paints (said to be a carcinogen)

• glycerin -- helps to prevent the toothpaste drying out but takes 27 rinses to get off your teeth

• C₁₂H₂₅NaO₄S -- foaming agent and degreaser "used for cleaning garage floors" is "correlated with canker sores"

Now obviously you're spitting the stuff out, one hopes, and just how much of a problem any one of these might be is debatable. Still and all ...

Comments about hippies is just silly. Countless numbers of people across hundreds of thousands of years have not used toothpaste. Most of these were people who were firmly anchored in their societies, who wouldn't even have understood the notion of a counter culture or radical individualism or dropping out. In fact, I guess the second phase in the basic movement of the dialectic -- to use Hegelian terms -- from immediate immersion to self-consciousness and estrangement probably didn't really happen with them. (It's a common emotional pattern to us because it's effectively much of what's exalted in the writings of the Romantic Movement.) They weren't in adolescent rebellion against their Dad; they wanted to be like him. They were eager to get their rites of passage and become full members of society -- even if it meant tooth evulsion or penile subinsicion. And if you'd asked these people why they did any particular thing, their ultimate answer would probably be "it's what the ancestors did". So not everyone who hasn't brushed his teeth with toothpaste has been anything like a "hippy".

As for us -- well, why shouldn't we make judgments about what we use? Maybe rubbing silica against my teeth isn't a particularly good idea even if someone somewhere has thought some day that it would be a grand wheeze to get my teeth whiter, or whatever, so that I keep buying the product. Maybe that person was wrong. People make mistakes.

Personally, I use the toothpastes from the German company Weleda, which don't have anything offensive in them. But maybe plain water would be just fine. It's something to research and think about and experiment with.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I rinse out my mouth with swishing water around after eating pretty consistently. For the last 10 or so years, I've used this formula of essential oils, OraMD, instead of toothpaste. I used to have bleeding gums, which is an early sign for periodontal disease. I've referred a number of my friends to this product, some of whom averting dental surgery after switching from toothpaste to this & my gums stopped bleeding after a short while using OraMD. Formulated by a scientist & clinically proven to reverse periodontal disease in 90 days of use, http://www.oramd.com/study.jpg , To order Gum Disease and Periodontal Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Solution

In India many many years ago, instead of toothpaste, like a local, I used a metal tongue scraper & a tooth powder, made from neem & other local herbs. It was a red bitter powder & weird tasting. To this day, still I floss & scrape my tongue too.

I don't generally promote products to others, except to friends, family or clients, but I thought what the hey, if it helps someone on MDA & with a disclosure that I make a small commission, couple bucks per bottle, it's just a lil money off my own next order, no harm . Btw, the super strength is too strong for me - I just didn't enjoy using it & the normal strength OraMD works just great all these years.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Cha
    Cha is offline Junior Member
    When I was in dental hygiene school, we were told that brushing your teeth with water was just as effective as brushing with toothpaste. Toothpaste is more to make you feel clean. Some of the chemicals in toothpaste is there simply to make it bubble, which has absolutely no effect on its cleaning ability.

Grizz is offline Banned
    End Bad Breath & Prevent/Cure Gum disease

Simply mix 20 drops of 5% Lugols Iodine (available at Amazon.Com) & water into a 3 ounce misting bottle. Spray into your mouth several times a day.

Americans are suffering from a national epidemic of Iodine Deficiency.
    Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic

The result is that mucous & saliva are severely iodine deficient and unable to kill virus, germs. Iodine is our own built in natural antiseptic.
    Iodine Dosages and Treatments – IMVA Antibiotics

Complete research, Dr Articles & how to become iodine sufficient:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast