Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: What weight kettlebell should I buy? to strengthen my back (prevent injury page 5

  1. #41
    OnlyBodyWeight's Avatar
    OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA, F.yea!
    Posts
    252
    Shop Now
    As far as the above argument, I get what she means.

    If you try to teach someone how to sprint on a bike in 1st gear, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    If you try to get someone to bench press with just the empty bar, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    If you try to get someone to do deadlifts/KB's with only 5 lbs, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    You need the right amount of resistance to "get" the essence

  2. #42
    KimT's Avatar
    KimT is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    180
    Sounds like you found your weight and I must say 60 lbs. is a pretty heavy "starting" weight! That's awesome! And thanks for the above description. Obviously you get it. Have fun swinging!

  3. #43
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    As far as the above argument, I get what she means.

    If you try to teach someone how to sprint on a bike in 1st gear, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    If you try to get someone to bench press with just the empty bar, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    If you try to get someone to do deadlifts/KB's with only 5 lbs, it won't make sense.
    The entire movement will be off-balance, off-tempo, jerky, too easy, etc.

    You need the right amount of resistance to "get" the essence
    I regulary teach people how to do a bench press with just the bar. I even use nothing but a broom stick. And not just beginners either. Vetrans that are looking to increase their strength and size that need to completely deload so that I can find out where they are weak and so that I can make them stronger. I can confidently say that I do the same thing with deadlifts, squats, pull ups, chin ups, the list continues. The broom stick is actually one of my favorite tools. That's why I have people that book to see me 2 and 3 months in advance. That's why I have other trainers in my gym refer their clients to me when they are looking for fixes.

    Learn your weakness, you will only be as strong as your weakest link. The things that you think make you look weak in the mirror because you're only using a 5 pound weight, make you so much stronger than the idiot that just walked by you and smirked because your doing some less than manly exercise.

    Tried and true my friend.

  4. #44
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    Iron Will, since you're adducing anecdotal evidence as a proof, whilst rubbishing the views of leaders in the field; my experience as an instructor is that many (particularly those used to weight-training) will choose a smaller kettlebell than is optimum, due to an expectation of using the weight like a dumbell. Here is where I have to encourage them to select a larger bell; achieving the intended object, without harm or injury.

    Tried, tested and true, my friend.
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  5. #45
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjesson View Post
    Iron Will, since you're adducing anecdotal evidence as a proof, whilst rubbishing the views of leaders in the field; my experience as an instructor is that many (particularly those used to weight-training) will choose a smaller kettlebell than is optimum, due to an expectation of using the weight like a dumbell. Here is where I have to encourage them to select a larger bell; achieving the intended object, without harm or injury.

    Tried, tested and true, my friend.
    That is a perfect way to learn from your client and understand your client better! Realize that they may not be comfortable with a larger kettle bell because they are afraid that they're going to hurt themselves. Which in turn is going to cause more tension and stress to the muscles than needed and an even higher chance of injury. The self protection mechanism is working very well for your client! Good for them for being the one to understand their own limitations

  6. #46
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    It appears that some folk must insist on having the last word.
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  7. #47
    OnlyBodyWeight's Avatar
    OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA, F.yea!
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    That is a perfect way to learn from your client and understand your client better! Realize that they may not be comfortable with a larger kettle bell because they are afraid that they're going to hurt themselves. Which in turn is going to cause more tension and stress to the muscles than needed and an even higher chance of injury. The self protection mechanism is working very well for your client! Good for them for being the one to understand their own limitations
    Precisely. You need to SWING that damn thing with some force!
    Otherwise, it's like doing shoulder raises or something.
    To get the right vibe, you need to pick a HEAVY weight, and swing that F'ker for everything you're worth !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •