Thread: Easing into primal eating with 4 Hour Body page

GabyYYZ is offline Junior Member

Easing into primal eating with 4 Hour Body

So, since I don't really cook much (yet), I know I'll have to ease into the philosophy of primal eating slowly. I'll be starting out with Tim Ferriss' Slow-Carb diet from The Four Hour Body. He essentially admitted that it's paleo + beans (e.g. Joe Rogan podcast). Funny enough, that's how I found Mark's Daily Apple, when Tim released the slow carb cookbook online and one or two recipes came from this site.

As starting points, I'm going to try to stick to the basics as laid out in 4 Hour Body: no white carbs/sugar, no fruit for weight loss, keep meals similar.

I'm adding a couple points, mainly from Mark's Carbohydrate Curve, and try to stick under 100g of carbs total a day (fiber be damned) and keep to three meals a day (four on exercise days). I may eventually get to intermittent fasting but that's a bit down the road. I will try as hard as I can to avoid white starches, but that will trip me up for a bit until I get a handle on this.

Has anyone eased into primal/paleo eating via 4 Hour Body? It seems like a relatively harmless way to buy in, especially since canned beans, a centerpiece of the slow carb diet, seems to have less toxins that prepared, or definitely raw beans/peanuts.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GabyYYZ View Post

I'm adding a couple points, mainly from Mark's Carbohydrate Curve, and try to stick under 100g of carbs total a day
    Screw that. Sisson really needs to re-evaluate that thing and hopefully remove it. Eat fruit if you crave it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    We transitioned over about a month just by gradually eating out the non primal from the pantry and fridge and restocked with primal, bread was first to go, then breakfast cereals, then pasta etc.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Screw that. Sisson really needs to re-evaluate that thing and hopefully remove it. Eat fruit if you crave it.
    LOL Grumpy...to be honest...I do seem to be reacting to excess carbs. I do have a lot of weight to lose, so I've heard that reducing fruit helps a lot for people in my condition. I'll have more fruit as I lose more and more weight.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Nothing to add here other than I LOVE your avatar. Exterminom nom nom!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I did. Worked fine. I did three meals a day of beans, meat, and veggies.....rinse and repeat 6x/week with 1 go nutso day.

I liked it, and overall legumes are probably the last thing you would ditch in the long list of non primal fair. I think Tim mentioned preferring lentils, and if you look into that they have the lowest levels of antinutrients far as beans are concerned.

Even eating 3 servings/day of beans you can be at 60-80g carbs. Even if he calls it "slow carb" its still low carb and that definitely contributes to how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Nothing to add here other than I LOVE your avatar. Exterminom nom nom!
    Thanks Jackie!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I did. Worked fine. I did three meals a day of beans, meat, and veggies.....rinse and repeat 6x/week with 1 go nutso day.

I liked it, and overall legumes are probably the last thing you would ditch in the long list of non primal fair. I think Tim mentioned preferring lentils, and if you look into that they have the lowest levels of antinutrients far as beans are concerned.

Even eating 3 servings/day of beans you can be at 60-80g carbs. Even if he calls it "slow carb" its still low carb and that definitely contributes to how it works.
    Perfect for me. I'm middle eastern in ancestry, I think we tolerate beans more than others. But yeah, I won't take this as a license to eat refried or Boston baked beans. Quality will always be top of mind.

Liam is offline Member
    I came into Primal that way. I don't miss the beans - they wreaked havoc on my bowels. The real key for the transition for me was finding a breakfast I liked (6 eggs scrambled, with a little organic ketchup).

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    4Hr Body was my route to primal. I was extremely active (cycling) even when overweight so incorporated a lot of beans/quinoa into my diet. I lost 3 stone and reached my target weight in 4 months so I'd say it was successful! But I got sick of the cheat days eventually which is when I went primal. Still have beans/quinoa but less often now. 4Hr Body is a great diet to help fat people lose bodyfat but it is not meant to be a long-term healthy diet IMO.