Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how do you space your vitamin intake? page 4

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Interesting side note... the potassium may help with preventing crashes too.
    Though potassium is noted for lowering blood pressure... when the sodium/potassium balance is correct the body finds homeostasis and things are moderated better.

Google around for 'sodium potassium' balance some and have a read.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Interesting side note... the potassium may help with preventing crashes too.
    Though potassium is noted for lowering blood pressure... when the sodium/potassium balance is correct the body finds homeostasis and things are moderated better.

Google around for 'sodium potassium' balance some and have a read.
    It's all about the balances. And this is where I think a lot of people get themselves into trouble by spot supplementing the nutrient of the month. Then something else gets out of balance and so they need another supplement to correct that. Rinse. Repeat.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's why I'm going to try to remove the offending excess electrolyte, so that the remaining lower amounts are in correct proportion and I (hopefully) won't need any supplements after awhile. Or I might have to face the music, that my food isn't perfect, my body has been through hell, and I might really need to dose mg and K for the rest of my life. Maybe the sweet potatoes and avocados I'm buying are being raised in dead soil and it wouldn't matter if I ate 1000 of them every day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think there are a few people on here who look down their noses at people who supplement. BUT... I don't think Paleobird is one of them. We've posted about this before, and she is just happy to be in a place where all she needs can come from foods, and I really thinks that's cool. She just questions why everyone has to take them, and in mass quantities sometimes.

Yeah, I live in the desert, and the growing season is about 3 hours long. The vast majority of our food is trucked in. I think pork can be had locally, and we do have one orchard that you can go to a couple months out of the year. There's a farmers market, but it's like one day a week, during the middle of the work day, so odds are you can't go.

I've had migraines for a couple of decades now, so I supplement with magnesium. It's not really present in the soil anymore (and so it's not in the vegetables) and I need quite a lot to keep the pain away.

I have 10 teeth with silver/mercury fillings, and I'm still not sure whether that's a problem or not so I take selenium to hedge my bets.

I take a B complex and 5-HTP because I've got some brain scarring and that helps while I'm waiting for it to heal up. I'm considering dessicated thyroid for a VERY short time because that was damaged as well.

The only one I don't see ever eliminating eventually is the magnesium. The way my body is, I just need a freakish amount of it. Maybe I might keep the selenium, unless I see some research saying it's pointless. The rest? It's just temporary.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 06-27-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    There's also a problem with avoidance of sodium, as it's claimed to cause high blood pressure. Whereas the evidence points to it merely exacerbating high blood pressure where that already exists due to some other root cause.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    That's why I'm going to try to remove the offending excess electrolyte, so that the remaining lower amounts are in correct proportion and I (hopefully) won't need any supplements after awhile. Or I might have to face the music, that my food isn't perfect, my body has been through hell, and I might really need to dose mg and K for the rest of my life. Maybe the sweet potatoes and avocados I'm buying are being raised in dead soil and it wouldn't matter if I ate 1000 of them every day.
    No matter what I eat or how much time I spend in the sun, I am unable to get enough potassium, magnesium, and vitamin D to be healthy. I try lots of other supplements here and there to see if I can feel better, but without those three I have big problems and unless I can figure out why I am low in them, will likely need them for life.

Since I had kidney stones, I take some k2 with my D3 now.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    No matter what I eat or how much time I spend in the sun, I am unable to get enough potassium, magnesium, and vitamin D to be healthy. I try lots of other supplements here and there to see if I can feel better, but without those three I have big problems and unless I can figure out why I am low in them, will likely need them for life.

Since I had kidney stones, I take some k2 with my D3 now.
    Any links on K2, D3 and kidney stones? My boyfriend is CW (leaning toward Primal) and he gets at least 2 or 3 every year. The last one was absolutely HUGE!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Perhaps fervor is not the right word, but I have noticed in several months of browsing these forurms what I would describe as a strong anti-supplement bias. Thing is, while I generally agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't be aritificially dosing ourselves up with vitamins and minerals, some people legitimately can't get the quality whole foods they need for proper health.

So lacking even moderate sources of dietary K2 for example, I take a daily supplement. If you have access to better food sources, count yourself blessed.
    The best sources of K2 are cheese, eggs, and meat. You have no sources for those in your diet? Are you vegan? If so, you would definitely need to supplement.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The top 2 sources of k2 are dairy (cheese and butter). Are you strict primal? If so you should consider supplementation.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 06-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Any links on K2, D3 and kidney stones? My boyfriend is CW (leaning toward Primal) and he gets at least 2 or 3 every year. The last one was absolutely HUGE!
    No good links - but good enough for me to give it a try. Those things are brutal.

10 Ways to Beat Kidney Stones

The Many Virtues Of Butter | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

On the Trail of the Elusive X-Factor: A Sixty-Two-Year-Old Mystery Finally Solved - Weston A Price Foundation

ETA: I think this would only help for calcium oxalate stones, not the uric acid ones.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast