Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you space your vitamin intake? page 3

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I take Vitamin D, allergy pill, and multi-vitamin in the morning with a fatty (usually eggs) breakfast. When I take Tryptophan, I take it at night (makes me sleepy). When I take magnesium, I take it at night (and it helps me have a regular morning bowel movement). Generally, I take anything with food to avoid stomach upset and encourage absorption. The only thing I don't is L-Tyrosine, which I take for anxiety sometimes, which I take with water before I eat. Amino acids are usually best taken on an empty stomach, I believe, but 5-HTP and Tryptophan are helped by a B-complex (I read somewhere to take it the morning after so that's what I do).

How are your iron levels? My hair was falling out last fall and my levels were low. Started supplementing and the loss stopped after a few days.

I supplement D because I am deficient. I was supplementing magnesium to see if it would help PMS. I take Tryptophan so that I am not severely depressed. I take iron so my hair doesn't fall out. I am cranky today and I do take offense when people seem to flaunt their lack of a need for supplements, which has occurred multiple times already in this thread. Food alone cannot always fix these things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Beefy is offline Member
    Anyone else find it ironic that there is so much anti-supplement fervor on a forum hosted by a guy who runs a supplement company?

Seriously, don't claim that you get all the micronutrients and minerals you need all the time from your diet. You may in most cases but I would argue that, short of testing the product in a lab, you really have no idea. Is the soil depleted and thus not passing along enough magnesium to your veggies? Who can say.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    I now only take magnesium (soil depletion), k2 (don't normally eat good sources of this I think), and vitamin d (indoor a lot, and SF is cold/cloudy/foggy).

I skip the D if I'm in the sun a lot that day.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Anyone else find it ironic that there is so much anti-supplement fervor on a forum hosted by a guy who runs a supplement company?

Seriously, don't claim that you get all the micronutrients and minerals you need all the time from your diet. You may in most cases but I would argue that, short of testing the product in a lab, you really have no idea. Is the soil depleted and thus not passing along enough magnesium to your veggies? Who can say.
    Fervor? I didn't hear any fervor, just opinions. Mark has always been upfront about making his living from supplements but I respect him greatly for the fact that he does not push them on people who follow his advice as if you are not *really* Primal if you don't take these pills.

I can and do claim that I get all the nutrients I need from my diet. How can I know that? Because I feel awesome. You say I can't know for sure, so I should take a pill for insurance? Thank you for your concern but no thanks.

My diet is rich in grass fed/finished animal protein including organs and bones, wild caught seafood, land and sea veggies all organic and often homegrown, and raw dairy products. I live where there is lots of sunshine and have the time to get out in it. Also the growing season here is basically all the time so I eat mostly locally grown including apricots, citrus, and persimmons from my own trees.

Some people may need vitamins some times and for some particular conditions. I get that. But I don't need them.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Some people may need vitamins some times and for some particular conditions. I get that. But I don't need them.
    This.

I'm not going to go into too many details as to what I take, or the prescription meds that I need to take for medical problems that cause me to need some supplements... but for instance I take vitamin D because I have to stay in a pretty controlled indoor environment most of the time. The scrip I take makes me very prone to burning, and bright light and heat can make the symptoms of my problem that the prescription id meant to treat much worse.

I take some other supplements based on other very specific problems created by my condition and the meds I have to take to help control it because it makes sense to do so.

If I was a healthy normal person I would be out playing in the sun... not taking supplements.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I take Gingko and milk thistle for vitiligo every now and then, a multi when I remember...religiously Mag at night to sleep and to alleviate PMS... God, I love my Magnesium.

Beefy is offline Member
    Perhaps fervor is not the right word, but I have noticed in several months of browsing these forurms what I would describe as a strong anti-supplement bias. Thing is, while I generally agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't be aritificially dosing ourselves up with vitamins and minerals, some people legitimately can't get the quality whole foods they need for proper health.

So lacking even moderate sources of dietary K2 for example, I take a daily supplement. If you have access to better food sources, count yourself blessed.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, now I'm looking at potassium dosing to stop the cramping in my legs... Lame, but I guess sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, now I'm looking at potassium dosing to stop the cramping in my legs... Lame, but I guess sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
    Potassium is the bees knees for putting a stop to cramps.
    Also it is very easy to explain why a person today might need a potassium supplement.
    Man evolved without additive salt... and natural foods are lower in sodium than potassium.
    It is believed than man evolved consuming a ration of Sodium to Potassium of about 1:3 -1:5
    By consistently adding salt (pure sodium) to the current diet the sodium and potassium balance gets out of whack easily.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Good point, seeing as how I have to add salt to my food so my blood pressure doesn't crash - I should need to add potassium all the more. Apparently natural food sources are grossly insufficient. Just a few days ago ate a whole bunch of tiny asian bananas, and I regularly eat sweet potatoes and avocados. And it matters not on a hot day.

This just all goes against what I want to believe, that whole foods alone can sustain a person. Maybe I should stop the salt and let my blood pressure go low, and see if it stabilizes before I pass out.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast