Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "One of the growing number of paleo gurus ..." page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

"One of the growing number of paleo gurus ..."

Shop Now
    Australian online magazine:

Is the caveman diet [gasp] unsafe? [tremble]
    There is a growing movement that believes if we really want to be fit, healthy and disease-free, we need to return to the hunter-gatherer life ...
    Is the caveman diet unsafe? - body+soul

Yeah, I'm busy making a spear now.

"The Dietitians Association of Australia cannot support a diet that cuts out core food groups ... [the Paleo Diet] is nutritionally incomplete and does not reflect the vast knowledge we have today about our nutritional intake based on scientific reviews and research."
    I like this bit though:

The Paleo movement also recommends exercise based on what our caveman ancestors would have been doing.

Mark Sisson, one of the growing number of paleo gurus, talks about the "primal blueprint" – also the name of one of his books – which includes the following physical activities. ...

isbolick is offline Member
    So, by 'core food groups', I assume they are referring to cereal grains and dairy?

And does that mean that the Dietitians Association of Australia doesn't support the vegetarian diet?

Idgets.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Note the article could only provide an appeal to authority, but made no legitimate argument against it. Aside from "this association said it's unhealthy to cut out food groups"(unless you're vegan, apparently), they couldn't explain why, or raise a single issue that can arise from living a primal diet.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Can you say anything you want in journalism as long as you tack a question mark on the end?

Is the article's author a murder? Does she drown babies in pools of jello?
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Of course the DAA cannot support it - it takes funding from companies such as Nestle.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Keep eating our foods, sheep.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    So, by 'core food groups', I assume they are referring to cereal grains and dairy?

And does that mean that the Dietitians Association of Australia doesn't support the vegetarian diet?
    I don't know, but I'll bet they do.

After all, the "food groups" ideology seems to be U.S. in origin, and while dietitians in the U.S. defend that notion and talk in a scolding manner about "cutting out food groups" they nevertheless claim vegetarian diets are OK. The situation is unlikely to be different in Australia.

I think, basically, vegetarians make so much noise that people, from the USDA on down, don't want to offend them. It's too much trouble. You're looking at the power of lobbying. It's comparable to how public bodies have accommodated the homosexual point of view over the last half-century. Lobbying works.

So better to say the way vegetarians eat is OK. Or say "can be" and fudge it a bit. Do that even if you know you're not being quite straight and have to fudge the issue, as Prof. Cordain convincingly shows the U.S.D.A. is knowingly doing on vegetarianism.

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    I thought that was a fairly balanced article compared to most I have seen written. They did get a few things wrong and seemed too focused on the more strict version that excludes all dairy and tubers. I have to admit I cringe a bit when I see the words 'caveman diet' and a picture of someone eating raw meat.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    To be honest I think the food industry while not quite 'running scared' are getting worried, you don't make a lot of money on ingredients, you make money by packaging up ingredients in to tasty convient meals and snacks.

I imagine you would have seen the same sort of articles when tabacco was starting to get considered bad for your health.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    The irritating thing about the whole "food groups" thing is that it was come up with by the FDA, you know, the same agency that approves all the prescription medications that are killing people and who are in the pockets of both the drug companies and the food industry.

From this article in Vanity Fair:

In 2009, according to the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, 19,551 people died in the United States as a direct result of the prescription drugs they took. That’s just the reported number. It’s decidedly low, because it is estimated that only about 10 percent of such deaths are reported. Conservatively, then, the annual American death toll from prescription drugs considered “safe” can be put at around 200,000. That is three times the number of people who die every year from diabetes, four times the number who die from kidney disease. Overall, deaths from F.D.A.-approved prescription drugs dwarf the number of people who die from street drugs such as cocaine and heroin.
    Deadly Medicine | Politics | Vanity Fair

Can anyone tell me just one thing that the US Government has been right about of substance? They lied about WMD in Iraq, bullshitted their way through everything they got caught in, have waged destructive and failed wars on drugs, poverity, obesity and terror and yet.....people still follow the government recommendations and feel safe because a drug is FDA approved. Amazing.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast