Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful

Shop Now
    Last year, when I tried CF near me, I wound up hurting my back, probably due to either poor form or too much weight (or both). It wound up not being for me -- classes were a little too advanced for newbie me, and I was very intimidated.

Yesterday, I found out that there's another CF box near me. I emailed the owner, who got back to me immediately. She says that at her gym, it's safety first. It's much smaller there, and the trainers make sure that the form is correct and that the individuals can handle the weight properly before moving up to more weight. I've got an appointment set up for this Wednesday to check it out and meet the trainers, take a class, etc.

And this particular box is **hundreds** of dollars cheaper than the other one.

I'm cautiously hopeful that this CF box will be the right one for me. I really enjoyed the weeks of weightlifting, and I am looking forward to getting back to it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Please update with how it goes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thanks, Owly. Will do!

Went to the CF box today for my freebie and to meet the trainers. I really, really liked it there -- the trainers were constantly moving around to check on people's forms and to give tips; before the WOD, they went through everything very clearly. One of the trainers took a lot of time to show newbie me the moves and help me figure out what weight to start with for my deadlifts and...argh, I don't remember what it's called, when you sort of do a clean to get the weights up to your chest, then jump up while you fully extend your arms (with the weights) overhead while squeezing your glutes. And he helped me determine how many bands I needed to help with my pullups (I have no upper body strength; it's very sad). I'm starting out very, very low weight -- only 55 lbs for deadlifts because of my tricky back and the seriously lacking upper body strength, and I was using only 10 lb kettlebells and three bands for pullups. The trainers were extremely encouraging and enthusiastic.

After the session, I was sweating, exhausted, and eager to come back for more. I'm going to sign up for only a month at first, to make sure that I'll really be going. But assuming I get into the swing of things...I think I've found a CF box that works for me!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I'm still wary of CF in a lot of cases. I know of a lot of boxes where there is not nearly enough proper guidance. I know someone made a point in another thread that it doesn't take much to get a CF cert, and that can lead to boxes with terrible trainers. On a positive note, I've seen many boxes in my area starting to hire non-CF trainers to help round out their knowledge base and improve focus on form and whatnot. I used to hate CF, but my views have softened in the last year or so.

Anyway, I digress. I'm glad it's working for you this time around! It still seems hit or miss when it comes to finding good CF boxes, but hopefully it'll keep improving now that it's owned by Reebok.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Thanks, Josh! The trainers at this box were very hands on, so to speak. We'll see how it goes!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is a chronic, dangerous protocol that is not remotely sustainable over the long haul. The amount of injuries from CF are ridiculous. You should know. You aren't the exception either. If you want to enjoy a high quality of life as the years roll on, this is NOT the way. Exercise needs to not only be effective. It also even more importantly, needs to not be detrimental to ones' long term health. Take a person who is older and they can't get around because of chronic damage. This takes years off of their life and worse the last years are spent in a crippled state.

Do a sensible weight training program where you aren't throwing weights nor are you doing way too much as not all that much is needed. Do the HIIT once every week or so. That is all that is needed. Then just be active. Find fun things to do that aren't going to ruin your body.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing Crossfit for well over a year now and I have a great box and careful trainers. It has changed my life for the better--I've lost weight, gotten strong (including pull ups :-)) and dropped from a size 12 to a 7 while eating a reasonable primal diet with no crazy restrictions.

I don't think anyone can generalize whether a program or approach is all good or all bad. You must use your own discretion and judgement. While I appreciate Forever Young's concern for your health and safety, "doing a sensible weight training program" is not always easy to maintain without outside structure for some people. Be smart and patient and you will succeed.
    Last edited by missblue; 06-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Forever Young - I truly appreciate your concern and your feedback. Everything you said is why I stopped going to the previous CF box; it wasn't a good match for me. But this one is very different -- the trainers, for one thing, were very careful to help everyone with their form throughout the duration of the workouts. I'm feeling very positive about this. I'm going to give it a shot for a month and see how it goes.

missblue - That's exactly it: a great box and careful trainers can make all the difference! I'm cautiously hopeful that this box is exactly that, and that this will be a good match for me.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I wish you much success in this. Just be careful. If they have you doing something where you think, man this looks like a prescription for disaster, pay heed to that. I have no idea what this particular "box" has you doing. Perhaps they have learned from past mistakes and are utilizing what truly works and safely at that. My previous post was of course a generalization based on what I've seen of CF.

It seems that you enjoy the structure and the overall experience and that is a HUGE factor when it comes to any endeavor. If we don't enjoy it, we eventually stop doing it. So keep at it and just use common sense and all should be well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast