Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful page 5

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So I've bumped CF up to three times a week, and I've been tracking my baseline weights for specific lifts. I'm especially pleased that two of the three days I go are dedicated to strength training, and the third day is HIIT. I have this crazy notion that at one point, I'll go M-F. But for now, I'm happy with 3x/week.

I **will** do an unassisted pull up. Eventually, maybe. But I will.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi JackieK
    I just checked back on this thread and am really happy to see you are having a good experience with this CrossFit. I found my visits creeping up at mine also--now I usually am between 3-5 days depending on what else is going on. You will get that pull up!

Thanks, missblue! I'm glad it's working for you too.

Just renewed my CF membership, this time for three months. I really, really like this one. I like that I'm challenged. I like that I'm supported. I like that the trainers are mindful and encouraging but not coddling. I like seeing improvements in such a short amount of time. I like becoming stronger. All in all, it's going very well. Rah!

AliceAnne is offline Member
    I'm glad it has worked out for you like it has! My experience has been the same - except I didn't have a bad experience to compare it to. In fact other than walking & some body weight exercises I had no real fitness backgound.

I started 2 days/week in March this year, then upped it to 3, & now I go 4-5 days/week. I still scale a lot, but I'm now able to do more & more as prescribed. It's sort of (ok it's very!) exhilerating when I learn a new skill/see strength gain - as in I screeched for joy after doing my first double under, totally shocked myself when I did my first 20" box jump, rocked the 1 pood kettlebell (started at 10lbs!) & now I'm always using the 14# ball for wall balls. Overhead heavy lifting still freaks me out but I'm not pushed to do anything I'm not comfortable with - just that I keep coming & trying & scaling as needed.

I wanted to have my pull-ups sooner but I'm getting better (using the red band now, down from the green/blue combo I started with). We'll get there!

Anyhow just wanted share sentiments. Crossfit isn't for everyone, but it has been great for me. In the context of PBP I see Crossfit as my sprinting, lift heavy things, & play (maybe I'm derranged but I think it's fun). ;o)

Take care!
    AliceAnne
    "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

angelav is offline Junior Member
    This my first post ever! :-) I'm considering trying Crossfit and love reading everyone's concerns and comments. Also am going to start paleo and see how that goes. I pretty much eat paleo now, but want to try being a bit more dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceAnne View Post
    I'm glad it has worked out for you like it has! My experience has been the same - except I didn't have a bad experience to compare it to. In fact other than walking & some body weight exercises I had no real fitness backgound.

I started 2 days/week in March this year, then upped it to 3, & now I go 4-5 days/week. I still scale a lot, but I'm now able to do more & more as prescribed. It's sort of (ok it's very!) exhilerating when I learn a new skill/see strength gain - as in I screeched for joy after doing my first double under, totally shocked myself when I did my first 20" box jump, rocked the 1 pood kettlebell (started at 10lbs!) & now I'm always using the 14# ball for wall balls. Overhead heavy lifting still freaks me out but I'm not pushed to do anything I'm not comfortable with - just that I keep coming & trying & scaling as needed.

I wanted to have my pull-ups sooner but I'm getting better (using the red band now, down from the green/blue combo I started with). We'll get there!

Anyhow just wanted share sentiments. Crossfit isn't for everyone, but it has been great for me. In the context of PBP I see Crossfit as my sprinting, lift heavy things, & play (maybe I'm derranged but I think it's fun). ;o)

Take care!
    AliceAnne
    That's fabulous, AliceAnne! Congrats on the red band, and the 1 pood KB (that stuns me; I'm on 20 lbs and have a hard time imagining that I'll be strong enough to move up!) and everything else. I know what you mean about the box jump! I stopped last week and started stepping up because I have a TKD test tonight that includes a running jump off a chair; after my test, it's back to challenging myself with the jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by angelav View Post
    This my first post ever! :-) I'm considering trying Crossfit and love reading everyone's concerns and comments. Also am going to start paleo and see how that goes. I pretty much eat paleo now, but want to try being a bit more dedicated.
    Hi, angelav! I hope that the CrossFit box you go to is the perfect match for you. If it's not, keep looking -- it may be there for you! And good for you for your dedication to paleo! You're doing the Whole30 challenge, right?

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post

I **will** do an unassisted pull up. Eventually, maybe. But I will.
    You'll get there, when I first came to my gym, I had to use the green band to do pull-ups, but within 9 months, I could do 3 unassisted pull-ups in a row, and I'm a fairly heavy person (145 lbs). Just keep challenging yourself and using thinner bands as time progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    You'll get there, when I first came to my gym, I had to use the green band to do pull-ups, but within 9 months, I could do 3 unassisted pull-ups in a row, and I'm a fairly heavy person (145 lbs). Just keep challenging yourself and using thinner bands as time progresses.
    Thanks! I also splurged for a pullup bar, which is here in the house. I'm going to try it every day. (Did two days ago. Laughable. But one day...!)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast