Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful page 4

mark2741 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    but I see a lot of programming flaws that make in unsafe and not suitable for many.
    I agree - and same can be said for just as many non-crossfit programs.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    I agree - and same can be said for just as many non-crossfit programs.
    True. I'm not a fan of any program that claims to work for [I]anyone.[I] Nothing can be made one-size-fits-all.

What's important is to find what works for you. Honestly, I try not to bash anything. I do try to point out potential issues that need to be kept in mind when pursuing any program, or even any fitness goal in general. When I do fitness assessments I spend extra time on movement assessments with the same purpose...make sure people know where they are at before attempting something they may not be ready for until doing prehab or some sort of physical preparation.

There's no such thing as a "perfect program for everyone," and there will be different opinions about each and every type of training and program out there. I see both value and flaws in the CF-style programming. I honestly believe they will improve now that they are owned by Reebok (the first company to sponsor Gray Cook and the Functional Movement Screen). The main issues I see are, though olympic lifts are awesome, it's unsafe and actually not good for the CNS to do high reps...same with deadlifts, box jumps, and anything that requires technique. I've seen some pretty ugly form breakdowns that went totally unnoticed by coaches. I've also seen two people end up with rhabdo. It's not a pretty sight.

Anyway, I digress. The OP has found one of the good ones, which I think is awesome. What they need to do now is weed out the bad ones.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    So this is the start of Week 3 of CF for me. I'm only going two times each week -- partially because of scheduling conflicts, but mostly because OMG SORE. By next week, I want to bump it up to three times a week.

In the two weeks that I've gone to CF, I increased my deadlift from 55 pounds to 130 pounds. I realize that 55 pounds isn't really deadlift territory, but it was where I started: 35 lb bar, plus two 10 lb bumpers. I have a tricky lower back, and I was nervous that I was going to get hurt. (I've hurt my back previously, and that's an experience I never want to go through again.) Today was all about deadlifts, and I was stunned to see that I really could keep adding more weight. Last week, I discovered that I could do box jumps.

I'm looking forward to see what else I can do that I didn't realize I could do before.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it awesome, Jackie? Great improvements!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's really great, Jackie.

As with anything: *watch your form!" Never compromise on form, ever. Seriously. I have several CF clients (and I love them and I'm glad that they do CF), but we've had to remediate several issues from things like "got too tired and fell off box!" and "did too many deadlifts and stupid-pull!" it's not because the workout is flawed, they just went too far and form was compromised.

It's ok to trust yourself and follow great form every time. Because that will get you the *best* results.

Thanks, @Goldie! I'm truly stunned.

Thank you too, @zoebird! I hear you on the form. And I'm so happy that the trainers at this particular CF are very hands on - they continually monitor the group and check form. Before doing the movement with weight, we review the mechanics and the technique, going over the YES, GOOD and the NO, BAD. The trainers also stop us whenever our form isn't correct and work with us to correct it. (Or we're done for the day - if we've reached the "whew, tired!!!" part of bad form, the trainer says to stop.)

And now I'm getting more encouraged to eat primal/paleo because I'll do better at CF! That's just crazy talk!!!

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    A pair of wrist wraps might really help with the wrist pain. My wrists always used to hurt doing presses, jerks, OHS... I passed on the $20 Rogue wraps that Crossfit sells and went with the $6 pair from WalMart. They seem to really help. I've set PRs in all those lifts and my wrists don't really seem to hurt anymore... win win

jackie:

i love how that sort of motivation follows, and I'm glad that your trainers are in a good way.

i'm just working on hand-stand again. that's what yoga people do.

Thanks, @zoebird. I tried a handstand recently against the wall. It was terrifying.

We did thrusters today. I have to use the 15-lb bar for overhead work, and the max I got to was 55 lbs, but it's a start! It's been an exciting three weeks, trying CF while also doing personal experiments with food as I ease into primal/paleo. Next week will be my first week of CF on M, W and F. And I'm going to start walking in the early am, before my family is up. Exciting stuff - I feel like I am slowly getting a handle on my health.

sounds cool.

I'm working away from the wall in several variations. I think kicking up to the wall actually creates a false situation that's hard to get out of (and thereby do away from the wall), so I stopped doing it as a modification years ago.

There are other wall-use variations, though, that are great and really build the strength.

I'm looking to work my way toward this sequence: Briony's handstand from upward dog. Most of the postures I do ok, including much of the drawing up, it's then just piking or sweeping the legs to handstand that gives me trouble.

I think it's mostly fear, not strength.

My friend Sachie* (accent on the e*) who lives in LA does a great handstand sequences as well, so she's making a video for me too. I love to practice with some cool peeps.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast